Christmas in Paris

Old Jun 14th, 2007, 03:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Christmas in Paris

I'm giving my sister Paris for Christmas and have secured an apartment in the 1st Arr. We'll arrive Dec 20 and will fly home on Christmas Day. Does anyone have some "must sees" or "must dos"? Also any suggestions for restaurants on Sunday night and Monday (Christmas Eve)night? I want this to be special!
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 03:31 AM

I spent Christmas in Paris several years ago.

The lights and decorations are beautiful. You might want to take a minivan Illuminations tour in the evening. They will pick you up and return you to your apartment.

You will have to check which restaurants, other than the Hotels, that will be serving. I spent Christmas Eve that year at Violon d'Ingres and Christmas Day at Les Ambassadeurs in the Hotel Crillon. I am not sure that Violon is open on Christmas Eve now.

Everything is very festive....
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 03:42 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
All of the establishments of the Flo Brasseries group do a brisk business at Christmas.
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 05:43 AM

Don't miss the window displays and the lights at Galeries Lafayette. The window displays are very elaborate- really works of art.

And just as much fun as seeing the displays themselves is watching the little children looking at them!

If you like iceskating, the past couple of years there has been a skating rink set up in front of the Hotel de Ville.

We went skating there last year on Christmas day. Lots of fun!

You'll find plenty of restaurants open on Christmas Eve. A lot of them have special holiday dinner menus. Just make sure you make reservations in advance, because a lot of places will be booked up.
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 06:37 AM

Do you mean general "must-sees" or things specific to the holidays? For general items you need to buy a good guidebook or click on "destinations" above for basic itineraries that take you to the major tourist destinations.
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

sandi_travelnut, By "must-sees" or "must-dos" I mean Christmas/holiday time specific, we've got the basics covered. Thanks for clarifying. Any suggestions?
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 04:21 PM

Walking up the Champs Elysee is like a fairyland at Christmas time. One year we had a photo taken with the lights and the carousel at the end of the avenue. Won $100 for a photo contest in a local newspaper, so we were doubly thrilled! There will also be winter foods offered at this time of year. Enjoy!
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 10:35 PM

I'm also considering Paris for Christmas - husband, me and our two daughters, 22 and 20. Our youngest speaks French reasonably well and has visited Paris recently, but neither my husband nor I have been there since, well, in our teens, many many moons ago.

Should we stay in an apt? Where? How do you book? Or does anyone have hotel recommendations? I've never done the apt thing and usually like hotels as they can help with touristy advice, but perhaps my savvy daughter will be enough.

Youngest needs to end up in Toulouse the first week of January for her semester abroad. All advice welcome!!
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 07:16 AM

Hi

I spent Chrsitmas in Paris a few years back and had a wonderful time. It was so festive and romantic. I was nrvous about what restaurants would be open other than the hotel restaurants. We ate L'Alcazar on Christmas Day night for dinner. I was especially surprised to see many open. The city was very busy with people going to movies and hanging out in cafes. Not at all what I was expecting and so different than in the US. Enjoy
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 07:20 AM

Paris tourist office says the largest Christmas Market is at La Defense.
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 05:50 AM

Silly question -- do the French have Christmas trees? If we stayed in an apt for Christmas, could we buy a little tree? Where to eat Christmas Eve/Day?
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 07:45 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Yes, the French have Christmas trees. Most Monoprix stores sell them out on the sidewalk, as well most of the florists in the city.
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 07:24 PM

Thanks for the tip; everyone will be very pleased. After Paris, where else should we go in France at this time of year? We need to end up in Toulouse by January 6.