COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Choices in Emilia-Romagna & Tuscany

Old Mar 11th, 2009, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Choices in Emilia-Romagna & Tuscany

We are planning a month long trip to Italy - our first. So many choices to be made.

Would love to hear experiences of others as far as

1) Parma or Ferrara to stay a few days in ERomagna

2) Northern or Southern Tuscany - have found places in Montepulciano, Greve and
one closer to Florence (Cafaggiiolo).

Thanks so much for your help!!
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 06:59 AM

How much time are you allowing for Tuscany? Southern Tuscany is the Tuscany you see on postcards.
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 09:49 AM

1. Absolutely Parma. Ferrara is a boring town, some excellent sights notwithstanding; Parma has (at least) equally good sights, and is the epitome of wealthy & elegant northern Italy.
2. Northern and southern Tuscany are two worlds apart, and choosing is not that easy. Northern Tuscany has the better sights, definitely - which doesn't mean there are no great sights in the south, as well. Of course there are (Siena, to mention but the best-known!). But in northern Tuscany, much of the western world's art history has been invented and coined. But: northern Tuscany is extremely densely populated, heavily industrialized, outside the city centres mostly a maze of highways, plants, gas stations... Picture-perfect suburbia, and not at all bucolic. Hardly any landscape left; between Florence and Lucca, you rarely leave the urban sprawl.
Southern Tuscany, as kybourbon told you, is the Arcadia many people are looking for in Tuscany. But of course, if you are seriously interested in Renaissance painting, for example, there is just Monte Oliveto Maggiore and Gozzoli's frescoes in San Gimignano to keep you entertained (though "just" is a cheeky expression here - both are certainly among the greatest treasures of Renaissance painting anywhere; but in Florence, Arezzo, Prato, similar treasures abound). By the way, it's simply amazing how the throng of tourists neglects those Gozzoli paintings, certainly that town's greatest sight.
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

we are staying one week in tuscany - the choices thus far are Greve, Montepulciano or Cafaggiolo - The more I look the more confused I get.

I've started with a broad brush - 3 nights in Rome - 1 night in Spoleto on the way to Tuscany destination. Tuscany for one week and then to Piemonte - where we will be nine nights in Asti for the Palio. After Asti four nights in Cinque Terre then 4 in Emilia R then 3 or 4 in Venice and back. Any suggestions? The only one set in stone is Asti - We plan to do day trips to Turin and Milan from there. This is my first time ever posting on anything so if I screwed it up sorry!
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 03:49 PM

Good for you--I am jealous.
In Tuscany, definately stay in south Tuscany--Montepulciano is good as is Pienza, Montalcino, that entire area.
Are you staying at Villa sampaguita for Palio d' Asti? We did that 2 years ago and loved it. Here are the pics to prove it.
http://www.slowphotos.com/photo/show...y.php?cat=4172
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

bob: yes we are staying there - just stumbled upon it - I'm really a newbie at Italy - The place in Montepulciano is Montorio - the other one my husband likes is outside of Greve called Fattoria Vitico? Anyone heard of it?
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 04:49 PM

Pick location first. Here are some places I like but if you want more look at slowtrav.com under their rental reviews in Tuscany. Stay south of Siena if you can.

BOB’S FAVORITE DIGS IN TUSCANY

Siena province is easily my favorite part of Tuscany. Here is a list of accommodations that I suggest. All prices assume a typical double room.

A. RURAL LOCATIONS: All have parking and good food options nearby

1. Relais La Saracina www.lasaracina.it 230 to 300E
Fabulous country home near Montepulciano—helpful owners

2. Le Traverse www.letraverse.it 155E
Small B&B just south of Pienza—hard to beat at the price—has pool

3. Terre di Nano www.terredinano.com 100 to 155 [apts. more]
Both rooms and apartments at rural agriturismo near Monticchiello

4. Hotel Pescille www.pescille.it Good value at a rustic hotel only 3 km from famed San Gimignano with great views---100 to 130E

5. Fattoria Tregole www.fattoria-tregole.com 110E to 180E
Has both B&B and apartment accommodations. Near Castellina in Chianti

B. IN-TOWN LOCATIONS: For walking convenience to shops etc.

1. Palazzo del Capitano www.palazzodelcapitano.com 130 to 180E
Very nice small hotel in center of San Quirico—perfect location to explore.

2. Vecchia Oliviera www.tuscany.net/oliviera/ 130 to 180E
Nice 4 star hotel at the gate into lovely Montalcino---has pool.

3. Palazzina Cesari www.montalcinoitaly.com 80 to 110E
Lovely small B&B in heart of Montalcino—great value—2 nite stay minimum.

4. Locanda di San Francesco www.locandasanfrancesco.it 180 to 200E
New boutique B&B in a lovely location in Montepulciano—great reviews !

5. Palazzo Ravizza www.palazzoravizza.it 130 to 180E
Very nice & popular hotel in Siena with parking.
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 04:52 PM

Give Tim and Rina my warmest regards--they are good people. We will be in Italy in Sep as well--our 15th trip to Italy---celebrating our 50th.
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Bob: Thanks so much for the links. I'll check them all out - we want an apartment with kitchen instead of hotel since we are staying the entire week - love to cook and want to take advantage of the harvest time! Will probably do a day trip to Florence and perhaps stay over one night - any suggestions for hotel there or neighborhood to stay in?
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 09:59 AM

This is a great post and I can't wait to see what your decisions will be. Just a suggestion, and you may not be interested since you will be staying in a small town in Tuscany, but when we went to Florence we stayed in Fiesole instead of in town. We just loved it. We had a fabulous view looking down on Florence and it was so peaceful in the evening to sit and contemplate our busy day and watch the light change and hear music drifting up.
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 10:26 AM

ddandbob,

Maybe take a look at staying in Spello rather than Spoleto. So tiny, lovely, lots of flowers and great views of Assisi. No tourists. Check out Palazzo Bocci and their excellent restaurant, Il Molino. Both are excellent.

Buon viaggio!
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Dayle: You read my mind! I was just getting ready to ask for suggestions on Spello accomodations! I'm also trying to digest Franco's suggestions on Trastevre - his apt is booked so trying to find something in the same neighborhood - but don't really have a handle on the neighborhoods yet!

Bob: I checked those sites and the places look great, but a bit over our budget for a week - thanks so much - guess I'm leaning toward Fattoria Viticco or Montorio if we stay south and Villa Cafaggiolo if we go closer to Florence.

Everyone has been so great to the newbie!
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 12:48 PM

I cannot emphasize enough that location should be your top criteria--it will make a big difference. I hope you have a good map. You probably want south of Siena. Here is a good one for you: http://www.poggiolo.info/
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

Dayle: Just booked our room in Spello at Polazzo Bocci - thanks so much for the tip!