COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

British Heritage Pass

Old Feb 4th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

British Heritage Pass

I did a search and skimmed through several posts without finding answers to my specific questions. The operative word here being skimmed. Please forgive me if I'm asking questions that've been asked and answered ad nauseum.

All we've been able to find is an alphabetical list of the sites that are covered by the pass. Nothing that shows the locations of said sites.

I noticed on one of the threads that Janis mentioned liking to buy the pass before she goes so that she has the accompanying map while she's planning. Is there any way to get that info before you buy?

Since we're hoping to go to London (and see St.Paul's), York and Edinburgh, I'm guessing the Pass would be a worthwhile investment for us. But I sure would like to see a listing of covered sites in each of those locations first.

Thanks!

Old Feb 4th, 2009, 12:46 PM

Hi Caph52,

Just a quick note that I used janisj's advice to buy the pass and have it shipped to home. It really helped in planning and only took a week to arrive in the mail.

I'm going to look and see if I can find anything I used online. I think I remember something. Cheers!
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 12:50 PM

http://www.britishheritagepass.com/I...ries_by_Region

I suppose you have looked at this part of the official site - at least it mentions main things covered in each place - like Edinburgh

I went to York a while back and used the pass at several properties only a few blocks away - almost made the pass payoff that one day - plus some proved to be neat places i would not have paid the 5 pounds or so to get in without the pass.

A great deal - limited somewhat in London but St Paul's, the Globe Theatre Exhibition are covered. The Queen however took some of her royal properties like Windsor Castle and the 50% break at the Tower off of the GBHP scheme.
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 01:02 PM
yk

For sites inside London:
Jewel Tower (English Heritage)
St Paul's Cathedral
Shakespear Globe
Wellington Arch + Apsley House (English Heritage)
Royal Albert Hall (not sure what the pass actually does for you)
Sutton House in Hackney (National Trust)
Fenton House in Hampstead (National Trust)
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 01:05 PM
yk

In Richmond:
Ham House (National Trust)
Marble Hill House (English Heritage)

In Eltham:
Eltham Palace (English Heritage) - which I highly recommend
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 01:07 PM
yk

P.S. You can have a sense of where places are by playing with the interactive online map:
http://www.britishheritagepass.com/Online_Map#
Original Poster

Thank you very much to all three of you! Very useful info. And I feel even more certain that it'd be to our advantage to order one.

There is also an English Heritage Pass you can buy at English Heritage properties i believe

but it is not as comprehensive at the GBHP which i believe covers all English Heritage sites as well - but the two passes are not identical

just noted that yk put English Heritage in her note - i used my GBHP to go to all those London sites.
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 01:08 PM

Well, http://www.britishheritagepass.com/ is sure loading slow for me!

If you go to the pass web site, click on Properties by Region, you first select an area, then a list of the properties in that area will show and you select the property to view.

My connection is too slow for this to really work for me, but I can see an interactive map after selecting a property, too.Hope that helps.

A thought that could help you somewhere along the way ... the pass gathers together properties that have different organizations responsible for them. For example, some are cared for by Historic Scotland. But you do not want to go to the Historic Scotland web site and assume all the properties listed are covered by the Great British Heritage Pass.
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Okay, this is probably a stupid question..

On the map, are all of the sites covered by the British Heritage Pass? I'm a little confused by the different symbols. Is it just that some of them represent castles and some represent some other sort of site? Or are some British Heritage sites and some not?
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 01:20 PM

CAPH52: You've pretty much received all the useful advice I might have suggested. One thing though . . . "But you do not want to go to the Historic Scotland web site and assume all the properties listed are covered by the Great British Heritage Pass. "

Actually - every Historic Scotland, English Heritage, National Trust, and National Trust for Scotland property is included in the GBHP. Plus many privately owned places (and a few of the Royal properties are still covered).

So if you are having trouble getting the interactive map to work - you can visit the NT, EH, HS, and NT for Scotland websites to get info about individual properties.
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 01:20 PM
yk

YES, all of them are covered by the pass. I think the icons symbolize: houses, churches, museums etc.

BTW, all the places in London that I listed, EXCEPT St Paul's Cathedral, are covered by the 2-for-1 deal at daysoutguide, so you may want to crunch some numbers and see how many days of the GBHP you want to order.
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again, everyone. I think I've got it now! And we will definitely be buying them. I'm amazed at how much stuff it covers!
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 01:29 PM

Hi Caph52,

If you are viewing the online map at the http://www.britishheritagepass.com/ yes they are all sites included on the pass, in some way.

My connection is so slow you probably already have an answer by the time I post this reply!

Yes, the icons represent the type of place. If you click on the pictures and see what place it is, under the name is the type of site. Click enough and you will have an idea of what's what. Cheers.
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 01:34 PM

Actually - every Historic Scotland, English Heritage, National Trust, and National Trust for Scotland property is included in the GBHP. Plus many privately owned places (and a few of the Royal properties are still covered).

Okay, I cannot bring up the exact organization and building it was, I just remember that going through the book that came with the Great British Heritage Pass and then looking up the places on the web and there was definitely a time that the museum I found on the organization's web site was Not included with the pass.

I am thinking, now, it wasn't Historic Scotland, but it was some organization listed in the GBHP.

I know it happened once to me. Just take this as advice to use the GBHP book/online map as guide to what's covered by the pass and double check to be sure it is on the list. Cheers.
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

scotlib, I sympathize with you. Between our old computer and our poor internet connection, there are times I want to scream. And times when I do!

Thanks for your help!
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 02:06 PM

scotlib: That definitely could have happened - like if there was a special exhibition at some museum. The GBHP doesn't usually cover for any extra admissions like a special events/exhibits.

For instance once I arrived at Walmer Castle on the day of a special flower/gardening show. The GBHP got us into the house like normal, but we had to pay extra to get into the gardens (which are normally covered)
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 02:09 PM
yk

I think for the Royal Albert Hall, the GBHP covers a tour of the interior. I think that should be quite interesting:
http://www.royalalberthall.com/flash...mevisits,tours
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 09:33 AM

I walked past Walmer Castle one day - if i had had a GBHP i would have gone in even - the value of a pass - but did not want to pay the high entry fee to see what many consider a dud. With the pass that is not a factor.
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 10:24 AM

" . . . what many consider a dud."

And where, pray tell, did you hear such drivel?

It is an absolutely lovely house and has the most beautiful gardens. But then again, you won't have seen it . . . . .

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO