Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Chiusi car rental: go with Autoeurope's advice?

Old Oct 10th, 2007, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are 3 car rental choices in
Chiusi:
Hertz - 22 Piazza Dante (directly across the street from the train station)
Europcar - Via Cassia Aurelia I, 82
Avis - Via Molese Po Bandino

My friend and I will be arriving from Rome by train on a Monday (in November) at 4:20pm. I assume it will be close to dark at that time. We will be wielding luggage, rolling, along with backpack or small hand-held bags.

Of the 3, the Hertz location is ideal. I've been unable to determine exactly how far a walk the other 2 locations would be.

Here's the rub. Autoeurope highly recommends renting from a place other than the Hertz perfect location due to many complaints from customers. (customers arriving with no cars available,for example) I hesitate to rent from an undesirable location on the gamble that the Hertz locale proves reliable/unreliable - any thoughts from those who have had positive or negative experiences from this particular car rental? Thoughts from others are welcome.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 07:43 AM

I can't remember which location we rented from in Chiusi but you could try finding the address of the train station and then using mappy.com to compare/look at the distances from their to the rental offices.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 08:35 AM

Hi there, I just replied to your question in my post....I'm renting from Hertz and picking up at the location at the Chiusi station. I haven't read anything about any complaints. Where did you see the reviews? I've already prepaid my rental, so based on what you've said, I'll probably call the Chiusi station directly a day or two before pick up to ensure that they do have a car for us.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Autoeurope (the broker I've used several times in the past that is highly recommended on this board) was the contact who recommended steering clear of Hertz. I'm not endorsing one way or another what they're recommending - that's why I've thrown this question out to the board - to see if anyone has had difficulty with that particular rental office. I, too, thought about having the hotel in Rome where we're staying call that morning to confirm our car. Hmmmm....I tend to worry.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 10:38 AM

AutoEurope probably does more "business" in Europe than any other car rental broker. I would sure listen to what they suggest. It's better to have to walk a few blocks or take a taxi to pick up a car, than to be left stranded without a car. 4:30 is getting late in the day (yes - it will be dark), and what happens if the Hertz office closes and you still don't have a car???

I can't say enough good things about AutoEurope. I've probably rented 30 cars through them, and have had every kind of "problem" with Hertz/Avis/Europcar doing something "wrong" that AutoEurope had to resolve for me. If they get a lot of customer complaints about one specific car rental firm at a specific office, you can bet that it will influence what they do with future customers like you.

A friend is returning from Italy shortly and she picked up a car in Chiusi that she rented through AutoEurope. It was not a Hertz car because she was expecting to get a cab to the rental office - AutoEurope told her that it would be easy to do this. E-mail me at [email protected] and I'll give you her e-mail and you can contact her to find out how she did. She's a Fodorite that I've helped out quite a bit in the past.

Stu Dudley
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 11:01 AM

I'd listen to AutoEurope. I had some glitches renting from Hertz in Chiusi, not so with EuropCar.

The EuropCar office is a block and a half from the station. Exit the station, turn right, walk to the end of the block, turn left on Via Cassia Aurelia and it's halfway down the block on the left.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 11:08 AM
ira

Hi mom,

AE doesn't list the Hertz office on its various websites.

Did they tell you that you could get the car from Herz?

Old Oct 11th, 2007, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

This is all great advice, giving me pause and nudging me along. StuDudley - I, like you, have always rented from AutoEurope and have never had a glitch. Yes, I'm going to email you per your suggestion, thanks!
StCir1 - knowing how far the Europcar office is from the train station is just what I needed to know. I was trying to calculate it on mappy, which indicated it was .82miles so...your directions are much, much more doable.
Ira - I called Autoeurope and explained about the Hertz office. They said they could set me up with a rental there, but it would be against their advice....Hmmm!
I really, really appreciate the tremendous help with what, to others, may seem minor. Thanks!
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 06:38 AM

dorkforcemom, any ideas on why it's so awful to rent from that Hertz location?? I've already prepaid my rental, and now I'm kind of freaking out!
Old Oct 12th, 2007, 08:25 PM

Hi:

I am the friend Stu was referring to in his post.

We reserved our rental car through Auto Europe (Europcar), picking up in Venice and dropping off in Chiusi, then taking the train to Roma Termini. You will have no problem at all! The Europcar office is a two-minute walk from the Chiusi train station. You will walk out of the train station, walk to your right and make a left at a second street.

It could not have been any easier, and trust me if I say that if there was a way to get lost or get in trouble, my husband and I would be there. LOL Just ask Stu.. And this is despite the minute-by-minute instructions graciously provided by Stu, but this is another story altogether.. LOL

Anyway, based upon Mappy.com or Michelin.com, the agent at Auto Europe and I were getting a two kilometer distance from Europcar office to the train station, but it must have been based upon negotiating some one-way streets, which is a non-issue if one is walking. A two-minute walk, literally. Do not worry.

Anna
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 07:01 PM
Original Poster

Anna,
You have no idea how much I appreciate the info you have provided. You've put my mind at ease - I hope you had a wonderful trip and hope you post a trip report (or have you already done so?). Grazie!
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 05:24 PM

Bookmarking.
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 06:09 PM

I booked from the Avis in Chiusi, and the nice manager Sylvio came and picked us up at the train station. We thought we were running out of time to return the car in Florence and we called Sylvio who calmed us down and I was so thankful to meet such a nice person! Their office is also right next to a nice grocery store so you can head off with a few provisions.
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 04:43 AM
ira

Hi mom,

> I hesitate to rent from an undesirable location on the gamble that the Hertz locale proves reliable/unreliable ...<

I wouldn't consider an unreliable rental agency, especially arriving late in the afternoon.

If they don't have a car for you, you are stuck until sometime the next day.

You can always take a cab.

The Europcar office is 1 km from the train station (Piazza Dante Alighieri).

You can find the distances to the other agencies at www.viamichelin.com.

Sunset will be about 5:00 PM.

Old Sep 11th, 2008, 05:56 AM

Wow, sunset is *that* early? I was thinking it was around 6:00pm!

Now I am really scared about driving in the dark!
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 06:02 AM

From doing a bit of Googling it appears Italy is also on daylight savings time? Can anyone confirm this?

If so, it looks like the sun sets around 6:20pm on October 25, but around 5:20pm on October 26th. I suspect that's daylight savings time setback day.

I can use the extra hour of light!
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 07:10 AM

France changes on Oct 25/26 - so I suspect Italy does too.

Stu Dudley
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 06:04 AM

Hi if no one minds I would like to jump in on this post. I see it is a year old but I could use some help with a car.

I will be picking up in Chiusi. Just keeping it for a few days to travel through Umbria. Then headed back to the airport in Rome. Where is a good drop off point other than Rome. I don't want to deal with the traffic. Thanks.
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 08:28 AM

Either Orvieto or at the airport.