Child friendly restaurants

Old Feb 11th, 2011, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Child friendly restaurants

When I was in Paris, i noticed an absence of children in public places, especially restaurants. Why is this? I am taking my 3 granddaughters to Paris and am afraid of the lack of child friendly places to eat. Anybody got suggestions?
Old Feb 11th, 2011, 03:09 PM

My two children traveled to France with me at least once a year from the time they were infants until they were adults, and we never encountered this. We didn't do much haute cuisine, but I can't remember ever having an unpleasant experience, even when my son fell over into his soup bowl from jetlag at Au Pied de Cochon, even when my daughter wanted to "special order" a simple omelette with a side dish of rice at La Fontaine de Mars. I'm not sure how you could have not seen children all over Paris. I'm not sure the average French family takes young children out to nice restaurants, but you certainly see them all over in ordinary eateries.

Besides, there are pizza places and sandwich places everywhere, plus Flunch and Le Bistro Romaine and Hippopotamus and all the chains that are teeming with children.
Old Feb 11th, 2011, 03:09 PM

Don't worry. Just don't go anywhere too fancy. Many restaurants even have children's menus. Plan for early dinners (in Paris that's about 7). Picnics are a good idea.

With at least four of you there, will you be staying in an apartment? I'd highly recommend it. Having a kitchen available will simplify things immensely.
Old Feb 11th, 2011, 04:05 PM

Perhaps you didn;t see kids because they were in school - school days are longer and school vacations shorter in France than in the US.

Any casuale restaurant will welcome kids as long as they behave reasonably and even if there is no children's menu there are plenty of things they can eat from sandwiches to omelets to simple roast chicken. Just eat early (7 pm or so) so you're not taking up a table that would have adults eating and drinking much more at prime dinner time.
Old Feb 11th, 2011, 04:26 PM

great advice you've gotten above.

We've taken our kids to Paris twice - once, when the girls were 4 and 6 years and once when the girls were 7 and 9 and our son was 5 years. Both times, people have been extremely accommodating - but, we didn't eat fancy, either.

Our nicest dinner was eating at Chez Francis on Pont de l'Alma (both times). The waiters were extremely nice and made sure the kids were taken care of. Of course, we did eat early, also.
Old Feb 11th, 2011, 06:12 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"When I was in Paris, i noticed an absence of children in public places, especially restaurants. Why is this? "

Absolutely not the case IME. I suspect nytraveler might be on the right track. Unless you were there during French/European school holidays, children wouldn't be out and about except in school groups.
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 06:42 AM

Many of the highly rated restaurants have a "Menu enfant", like the new/old Thoumieux, in the 7th. Terrasse seating is also easy to find; sometimes it is just a few tables on the sidewalk, but often includes many tables in a secluded area. Much depends on where you are staying.
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 07:56 AM

Might it be that you were going to high end restaurants (which don't offer "children's menu"), and most people (of whatever nationality) don't want to spend $75 for a child's meal only to have them eat 1/3 of it?

Unlike some schools of thought, the French have been known to have children, just as do Americans. They really aren't a different species.
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 09:23 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Restaurants are full of children, but generally places where the children's menu is no more than 10€. The French absolutely hate to see food go to waste, and French children are just as finicky as children anywhere in the world ("The peas are TOUCHING the mashed potatoes! I don't want any!"). Léon de Bruxelles and Buffalo Grill are among chain restaurants that go the extra mile for smaller children, and you will see that more than half of the customers are families with children there.
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 10:37 AM

But in all public places, there were no children? Maybe it was the middle of the day, but in parks and other places, you'll see children too young for school there, with nannies or something. This is bizarre that children weren't seen anywhere, sounds like some horror movie. The parks are full of them, as well as certain attractions geared to kids (some museums, for example, like the ones out at La Villette or the Jardin d'Acclimation.
Old Feb 13th, 2011, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. But, I swear that in four days (including a weekend) I saw only 2 toddlers in strollers, one on the street and the other in Le Printemps cildrens'wear. We did not eat in fancy places and a friend who both lived in Europe and visits Paris yearly has agreed with me. I do NOT think the French are another breed, but their culture is certainly different from Canadian culture.
Old Feb 13th, 2011, 09:00 AM

Maybe you were just in very touristy areas where it is more difficult to use strollers? I know in London if I had kids I would avoid places like Covent Garden etc for that reason and stick to more residential areas...? Kids are always out in Tulerie Gardens and Luxembourg Gardens, in fact I believe they do puppet shows there.
Old Feb 13th, 2011, 09:13 AM

maybe, but even on the Champs-Elysees you see tons of children, many of them with tourists. There were swarms of them in school groups visiting some museums where I've been (including the Louvre, but definitely at places like the national acquarium which is out near Vincennes and places like that). There are lots of them in all the public parks, but I don't think they have puppet shows in the Tuileries, but they do in that park across from the FDR rondpoint (Marigny). They have them in Luxembourg gardens and Champs de Mars, I think. But they often have a ferris wheel in the tuileries, and there are always kids around there, of course.
Old Feb 13th, 2011, 11:01 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
That seems totally weird to me-- of course there are children. They are everywhere. And especially since you are talking toddlers - school holidays wouldn't be an issue.

The parks are FULL of children. In fact I usually see more little ones in Paris -- maybe because more Parisian mothers walk to do their shopping/errands than is common in many US/Canadian cities where cars are king.
Old Feb 13th, 2011, 11:58 AM

Didn't you know that children under 15 are banned in Paris except on the 3rd Wednesday of the month?
Old Feb 13th, 2011, 12:09 PM

We were having dinner one night--late, as is the custom, and there was a table with two couples, and next to it the table with their children. I guess it depends on where you were eating at any given time whether you see children eating.
Old Feb 13th, 2011, 12:09 PM

We were having dinner one night--late, as is the custom, and there was a table with two couples, and next to it the table with their children. I guess it depends on where you were eating at any given time whether you see children eating.
Old Feb 13th, 2011, 12:13 PM

Sorry for the double reply, and now that I see the other part of not seeing children anywhere, I can't fathom it. I loved seeing the children in Paris, and particularly their clothes!! We ate breakfast at the cafe Marche on rue Cler, and every day a little klatsch of 3-4 mothers with strollers pulled up to have their cafe and (unfortunately) cigarettes!! Darling children--sailing boats in the parks.
Old Feb 13th, 2011, 01:57 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Not to mention the fact that France has the highest birthrate in Europe.
Old Feb 13th, 2011, 02:16 PM

Do restaurants have highchairs?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information