Chicago to Rome Air Travel

Old Nov 27th, 2011, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chicago to Rome Air Travel

New at this forum stuff ... flying to Rome in June and returning via Milan back to Chicago. It is more than 6 months away, but wondering if I should book air now (paying in real dollars). In looking at Kayak and other sites, best roundtrip (with 1 stop) is aroung $1,600. Is that a good rate or should I wait for better fares??

Your help is really appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Nov 27th, 2011, 08:02 AM

It's so difficult to say. Fares to Italy last year were mostly in excess of $1,200 for June (with some considerably higher), but I can't begin to tell you if the fares might go down or not. It seems to me that this is not a particularly good fare and that you won't do any worse if you wait. Of course, you might not do better either. But it's too early for the early summer fare sales. But if the euro goes down in value relative to the dollar, you might do better with a fare from a European carrier assuming fuel prices don't go back up. Since this fare is consistent with those last summer, I'd probably wait until at least January. But if you see a sale between now and then, jump on any fare that's $1000 or less. Either way, you are going to pay a lot to travel to Italy then, and that just won't be helped this year. What's not going to happen is a fare of $800 or $900.
Old Nov 27th, 2011, 08:35 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
The current sales are for flights departing by end of March. Usually a bit later will be sales for flights through mid-June. What time do you plan to leave in June? Do you have a preferred airline/alliance?

I use itasoftware to search flights (they power the searches for a lot of the big travel web sites such as Kayak, Orbitz, etc.). You can't book through them, but there are good for searching. You then go directly to the airline to book. You might want to sign up for fare alerts from a few websites that will notify you when prices for flights you are looking at drop.
http://matrix.itasoftware.com/
Old Nov 27th, 2011, 10:54 AM

Book in 2012---maybe as late as 120 days prior.
Airlines do not discount until they see bookings.
Old Nov 27th, 2011, 01:06 PM

What is your itinerary?

Is it:

1. ORD-FCO then MXP/LIN-ORD
or
2. ORD-FCO then FCO-MXP/LIN then MXP/LIN-ORD?

The itinerary #2 kind of trip is hard to get discounts. The itinerary #1 has a better chance of seeing a lower fare it it happens at all.
Old Nov 27th, 2011, 01:16 PM

Welcome to Fodors go a lot about annually to Italy

Find currently best deals www.aa.com ORD Milan(MXP)

We get AAdvantage CCs and do free flights 40000 FF miles

easy to rack up those points quickly currently booked

flying over on points April/May 2012...

www.farecompare.com great tips on cheapest time to book

usually late Jan Tues afternoon cheapest so wait till then.

Always pay with CC never wire money insuremytrip.com wise

Lots of fianancial troubles banks might start failing

strikes etc. so caveat emptor stay flexible.

Happy Travels!
Old Nov 27th, 2011, 01:18 PM

generally we find RT Milan cheapest easy cheap to train around

from there like a local from 2 euro per hour seat61.com/italy
Old Nov 27th, 2011, 05:38 PM

Alitalia (http://www.alitalia.com) has a sale to Italy now but not from Chicago (only NYC/Newark/Boston). They go to both Rome & Milan from NYC. Also if you buy on their website the 10% will be taken off the entire ticket cost. Cost in June 2012 is in the $900 ballpark so if you purchase Chicago to NY fare separately you should be able still do better than $1600.
Old Nov 27th, 2011, 08:41 PM

I live in Chicago so would highly recommend booking an open jaw ticket for your trip. It can be very reasonable if you book it right way and it sure saves you the hassle of train strikes and other hassles in Italy which always happen!!!

You could go nonstop on AA to Rome but would have to go back through Heathrow in London on British Airways from Milan Malpensa(the only international terminal for transoceanic) which could be a hassle back to ORD.

Alitalia and Delta are in the same codeshare so you could fly nonstop from ORD on Alitalia to Rome OR take Delta to New York (or Atlanta) and go nonstop to Rome from there. For your return you could go nonstop out of Milan/MXP to Atlanta or JFK and then back to ORD.

If you take United you will probably be going take a flight out of ORD to EWR and then nonstop to FCO.OR taking a nonstop to Frankfurt and then down to Rome.

Personally I always like to connect in the US and connect on a nonstop to Europe. Heathrow airport has one of the highest departure taxes-almost $150 for leaving the airport!

Wait for a few months on purchasing the tickets as there is alot going on with AA going into bankruptcy;the economy and how the airlines are cutting service in the summer months.
Old Nov 28th, 2011, 01:12 AM

I'm new on fodor's.
I'll be in Rome next december and want to know the best way to reach the hotel in the city centre. How do you move from the airport? Is safe to travel by coach?
Thank you, is my first time in Rome.
Old Nov 28th, 2011, 04:07 AM

Several different ways to get from FCO to the city. It is kind of dependent on how many people, luggage, desire to drag bags or do a door-door.

1) Trains - FR1 is a local train that goes from FCO to Tiburtina, slow and probably requires additional changes. Does stop at intermediate locations, which may put you near your final destination. Least expensive. Leonardo Express is a direct train (higher cost) from FCO to Termini (primary train/metro/bus) station. Costs more than the FR1, but can be easier.

2) Sitbus - coach from FCO to a couple of locations in Rome. Maybe a bit cheaper than Leonardo, but terminus may or may not be good for you.

3) Taxi - Will go door-door, but be certain you get an official taxi as it will have a flat rate.

4) Shuttle Service - this is my preferred method. Door-door, waiting on you at the gate, helps you with your luggage. Flat rate and excellent service. This works best with parties of 2 or more who don't want any hassles. Is usually less expensive than a taxi and if you have multiple people can end up being the least expensive of all. My preferred service is www.romeshuttlelimousine.com . Used them for years, never a problem regardless of the time of day I am arriving or departing.

dave
Old Nov 29th, 2011, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Wow! This forum is really informative!! Leaving CHICAGO(ORD) to Rome(FCO) on June 7th and spending time in several cities with vacation ending in the Lake Como area. Seemed like a good idea to fly back from MILAN (MXP) on June 26TH rather than go back to Rome for the flight home.

So appreciate all your advise!!

Teddie
Old Nov 29th, 2011, 08:48 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>>>2) Sitbus - coach from FCO to a couple of locations in Rome. Maybe a bit cheaper than Leonardo, but terminus may or may not be good for you.
Old Nov 29th, 2011, 09:06 PM

exotixblog, try this link for pictures and suggestions on travel from FCO. The only option I have not seen listed is the Cotral Airport bus for 4.50€. Your transit route will be influenced by "where" in the city center your hotel is located. Good Luck: http://tinyurl.com/FCO-depart
Old Nov 30th, 2011, 03:26 AM

Sitbus also used to have a terminus at Piazza Cavour. I guess it is still there.

dave