Search

Checkpoint Charlie

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2014, 05:12 PM
bdj
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Checkpoint Charlie

Seeking some insight regarding a stop at Checkpoint Charlie from those who have visited the site. I am aware of the unfortunate circumstance (among apparently many) in which actors who portray cold war soldiers insist on getting paid for the photo op.

Has anyone who has been there know if you pay the actors regardless (yes, I am willing to do that) can you take a family photo of the replica hut without them in it?

Thanks in advance...bdj
Old Aug 8th, 2014, 05:56 PM

I know this is none of my business - but why would anyone want a pic of a "replica hut?"

Of all the incredible things there are to photo in Berlin - why this? And especially if you have to pay the "owner" of the hut.

(I understand pix of the Coliseum - but NOT with fake gladiators.)
Old Aug 8th, 2014, 06:46 PM
bdj
Original Poster

Oh my. Precisely what I was hoping to avoid.

By attempting to concisely phrase the question, the intent was that unsolicited, irrelevant-to-the-point tangents would not suffocate the actual topic as too often happens. Thus resulting in having to tread the quicksand of post after useless post in hopes that some kind soul has gone back and read the original question and can actually help a fellow traveler out.

Sincerely...if anyone has visited Checkpoint Charlie and is savvy to its operation, it would be helpful to my party and a particular individual if you could assist in some manner with an answer to the original question.

Thank you very much in advance...bdj
Old Aug 8th, 2014, 07:22 PM

Yes you can take a picture of the hut without anyone beside you.

In fact there may be no one there at all.
There was no one there when I was there.
The "guards" do not come until about 9 AM.

Keep in mine that this is a busy street corner with traffic zipping on both sides.
The earlier you go the better.

When I was passing by later in the morning ,there were a lot of tourist there, taking turns taking pictures.

I stopped and watched for a while but did not see anyone paying anyone.

There is a pile of sandbags in front of the hut and a sign that reads
"US Army Russian Checkpoint."

It is on the corner of Friederich and Zimmer Street.

Another place you might want to take a picture is in front of the Brandenburg Gate.

Here you can stand beside/between a US Army and Russian Army officer and get your picture taken.

This is free but give them a tip !!

Also for free, you can have your passport stamped here that says "Berlin, Wall Fall Down November 9 1989."

( it's free but give them a tip, they are dressed in uniform.

Oh yes the passport stamp ,if you choose to do it ,is legal.
Old Aug 8th, 2014, 09:21 PM

I got a picture of myself at Checkpoint Charlie (without the actors) in April, but to be honest, it is not a particularly memorable photo. Checkpoint Charlie looks not much like it appeared during the Cold War. The "replica hut" is just a little booth with sandbags stacked up. (In the picture another tourist shot of me, you can see the new McDonalds in the background.) It could be anywhere - no one looking at the picture is going to say, "Wow - Checkpoint Charlie!"

Anyway, you should have no trouble getting your family picture there.

The location is a big tourist trap now. However, it's still very interesting to visit all of the outdoor "museum exhibits" - numerous big pictures with descriptions of what happened there. You can see pictures of Kennedy checking out the checkpoint, soon after the famous, tense confrontation between US and Soviet tanks that, had things gone badly, could have started World War III.
Old Aug 9th, 2014, 08:07 AM

Abdrew
.Yes it may well be a tourist trap...but you as a tourist got your picture taken there...just as I did.
And that is what bdj want to do also.

I am glad the real scene is not there with barbwire and concrete blockades.

I was there at 6 AM in the morning and had the whole place to myself.No trafgic, no guards.
Old Aug 9th, 2014, 08:41 AM

Sorry about spelling your name wrong Andrew.!!
I am not to sharp typing on my smart phone.
Old Aug 9th, 2014, 09:48 AM

This may not be the specific point the OP was interested in, but for anyone else reading the thread for more general information about the Wall, its history and effects, there is the "Tränenpalast" museum at Friedrichstrasse station. I <i>think</i> there are English language explanations of the exhibits, and you get to walk through a genuine entrance/customs lobby.

http://www.hdg.de/fileadmin/static/e...-friedrichstr/
Old Aug 9th, 2014, 11:30 AM

Thank you for the link to the Tränenpalast. I remember crossing the border - and naturally everything was arranged so that people had to queue under the rain - in 1989, just a few months before the fall of the wall. Not exactly fond memories, still memories.
Old Aug 9th, 2014, 04:18 PM
bdj
Original Poster

Percy,
Much obliged for the assistance. This will facilitate the timeline of our Berlin itinerary. Like Andrew, I feel the photo is what you make it. Wish us luck...bdj
Old Aug 9th, 2014, 08:13 PM

Good Luck bdj.

You are right, the photo is what you make it and hold it as a memory to a bygone times.

PS : I like the way you write.