cheap eats in florence

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 09:03 AM
Amy

cheap eats in florence

Anyone have any good suggestions for eating florentine favorites at reasonable prices?

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 09:07 AM
LJ

The Trattoria Antellesi on Via Faenza, 9/r... esp the boar and chianti stew, the pear and peccorinno salad and the pannacotta for dessert...good wine list...m-m-m, must be lunch time somewhere.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 09:23 AM
LJ

Sorry, forgot to say what I mean by cheap (which might not be what you mean)...I am looking at the bill receipt from last year and dinner for 4 (with wine) was approximatley $110.00(US)...subracting wine $70.00 (US)

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 09:37 AM
Nutella

Trattoria Marione!<BR>Buon appetito : )<BR>

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 09:37 AM
alyssa

Hi Amy,<BR><BR>Ate here 4 times while in Florence for a week. The food was really good. The ravioli with tomato cream sauce was divine. They also make pizza in a brick oven right in front of you. I think one of the reasons we liked it so well is because the waiter was great too,made us feel right at home ask for Nicola.<BR><BR>Alyssa <BR><BR>Casa del Vin Santo Via Porta Rossa, 15/17r - Tel. 055 216895 (open till late at night)<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 10:35 AM
Alice Twain

Alyssa<BR><BR>I m very sorry to say it, but i you were served ravioli in tomato sauce than you have been served one of the most abuse trash food you can find in Italy. Ravioli (I mean, the small pasta shaped like a human navel and filled with meat) are cooked in broth and served as a soup or (only in case of the Ravioli dal plin made in Piedmont) served with a roast sauce.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 12:08 PM
Lena

You should definitely try Cibreo - not the expensive restaurant but the trattoria next door to it with the same name. It's cash only and they don't take reservations, but the food is absolutely amazing and very reasonably priced.

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 07:28 AM
dean

We have a number of favorites for inexpensive eathing in Firenze:<BR><BR>The Tattoria at Cibreo. There are three restaurants i at Cibreo, the Ristorante with its higher prices, fine linnens and silver and extensive wine list. Across the street is the caffe which is the cheapest alternative of the three. It offers wonderful teas steeped in very old cast iron tea pots, a real treat. The last and my favorite choice is the trattoria Cibreo which is around the back from the ristorante. It does not take reservations and has a limited number of large tables. You are seated with others and in place of fine linnen, you get a paper placemat. The food is a selection from the menu of Cibreo at considerably lower prices. The crowd, while still fairly international seems to be more locals than in the Ristorante.<BR><BR>Casalinga- in Oltr'Arno district by Santo Spirito. Have heard from folk on the board that it is no longer as good as it was, but I will try it again anyways on next trip to Firenze. Wonderful, simple rustic food. Very cheap. House wine is horrendious!<BR><BR>Panini from the tripe sellers carts. This is a Firentina specialty. You have a choice between Freddo (cold) or caldo (hot). Ripieno, meaning stuffed, means that they tear out the crumb from the roll. Since the bread is usually the traditional Tocannae unsalted variety, I always go for Ripieno. The last choices are sale (salt- say no) and salsa (a lovely green herb sauce, say yes). The whole thing will cost you less than $3.00 with a bottle of minerale.<BR><BR>The sandwich shop next to Antico Noe. Antico Noe is a pretty famous wine bar that has some food offerings as well. Just next door (and I don't know if they are under the same ownership) is a store front that offers made to order sandwiches for under $3.00. Sliced roasted meats topped with choices ranging from roasted eggplant to fresh mozzarella to boiled spinach. Across the street is a schwarma/felafel stand that makes some of the best middleeastern sandwiches around. I love the schwerma with everything on it, especially the hot red sauce. Again, maybe $300 for the sandwich and the same for a large beer.<BR><BR>ZaZa in Piazza di Mercato- a simple trattoria with outdoor seating. A little touristy but serving good basic food. We ahd crostini, Minnestra, spiedini and insalata. All fine. wine not so fine. Actually horrible. Could have been turpentine but I don't think turpentine tastes that rank......

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 08:58 AM
Jen

The best restaurant in Florence is called Aqua Al 2 or (due). Ask your hotel where the location is since it is hard to find. The dishes I recommend are: Pasta Sampler, Filette de Mertilli, and wine. Your be extremely satisfied! It is my favorite restaurant ever!