Enjoying Limoncello in Florence...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2006, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I have seen post after post about the wonderous Limoncello---personally, I have only had a lemon pound cake with limoncello in it, and am curious as to what it tastes like.

As for having drinks in Florence, does one usually get wine or spirits with a meal, or are there friendly "pubs" to enjoy a solo glass of wine. What is the drinking atmosphere in Florence?

I don't go out for drinks much, but on vacation I try to push my boundaries a bit and try new things.
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 11:10 PM

Limoncello is a liqueur, and served in small quantity (ie apertif glass, or liqueur glass). It is a grain-based alcohol, like vodka, so it's quite strong. It's strong, thick-ish, lemony, and delicious. Some Limoncellos are good and some not so good - try different brand until you find the one you like. Just not all at once, though!

Having never been to Italy, but my SIL has - I can't remember what she said, but I think you can just order wine in a cafe, and not necessarily with a meal, not just bars.
Old Apr 30th, 2006, 04:05 AM

It has to be served ice cold.

Try to look for/ask for a limoncello that isn't too sweet. It can be nasty if the sugary syrupyness overpowers everything else
Old Apr 30th, 2006, 09:14 AM
ira

Hi IL,

Limoncello is made from lemon zest, sugar and grain neutral spirits. What makes it so good is the lemons from the Amalfi Coast.

Good limoncello need only be served out of the refrigerator. The ones with artificial flavors are sold direct from the freezer.

Re drinks: Italians don't often have spirits.

One would drink a glass or two of wine with lunch, a glass in the late afternoon (often with a biscotto or piece of cake), a glass or two with dinner, and (in case there is any left over) a glass after dinner with a little dessert.

If you find yourself getting tipsy from too much wine, have a biscotto (with a little wine).