Search

Favorite restaurants, Florence

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2017, 05:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Favorite restaurants, Florence

Hello,
We will be going to Florence, Tuscany (Chianti, Siena, Cinque Terre) and Milan in a few weeks and wondered if people wouldn't mind sending names of favorite unique restaurants, especially in Florence? I know this is a very broad request but we love one-of-a-kind places that are not touristy but are memorable and maybe off the beaten track, with very good food. Price from mid to high ok.
Thanks so much in advance!
Old Feb 21st, 2017, 06:24 AM

Enoteca Pinchiorri in Florence was unlike any restaurant I've been to before and we found it huge fun. The wine just kept on flowing and at the end of the evening there were just 2 items on the bill - food and wine. It is crazy expensive but it definitely fits into the category of memorable and unique.
Old Feb 21st, 2017, 07:01 AM

You must go to the new creative restaurants if you want to something not typical of Florence, because all the other restaurants are typical, the same. Not "one-of-a-kind". Instead: Just like my neighbour! Cibreo, Pinchiorri. Also Pitti Gola. You must have a reservation for these places.

But I would like to ask you: Do you have the food of Florence where you live? Because maybe if you go a trattorie that is very typical in Florence, you would eat food that you cannot find anywhere else in the world except Florence. Maybe if you tasted the typical food of florence, together with the wine, you would not care that many trattorie in Florence make the same menu. For you, it would be the only time you taste it.
Old Feb 21st, 2017, 11:11 PM

Ristorante Borgo San Jacopo is an excellent 1 star michelin restaurant fairly close to the Ponte vecchio. The food was innovative but quintessentially Italian ( absolutely sublime boar ravioli, and a duck breast cooked in milk and cherry with white chocolate coated foisted gras for example--- be sure to do one of their tasting menus). The restaurant is situated on the river so the views from the restaurant is also quite pleasant and the service was outstanding. Definitely one of the better Michelin restaurants we went to.

Ristorante Santo Graal was also good (though the dishes were a little more hit and miss) but the value was incredible --- the tasting menu of 6 or 7 courses was only 50 or 60 euros and the food varied from good to outstanding.

Be sure to skip some of touristy standards like cianguale bianco--- long wait even with reservations, loud, expensive for the very underwhelming food we had there
Old Feb 22nd, 2017, 03:02 AM

I remember a fantastic bistecca alla fiorentina at Boccanegra in Firenze.
Old Feb 22nd, 2017, 03:43 AM

We enjoyed Trattoria Il Sostanza--the chicken dish is fabulous! Sides are good too and are old family recipes. The restaurant has been in the same family for years. It is very small with two seatings in the evening and reservations are a must. It is located on a narrow street between the Arno and Santa Maria Novella.