best restaurants in Florence

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 06:56 PM
harmony jones

best restaurants in Florence

need some recommendations or a list of the best restaurants in Florence. Any suggestions or pointers ?

Thanks a ton.

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 07:03 PM
Paula

My vote is for La Giostra Club on Borg Pinti. Everything (and I do mean everything) about it was delious.

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 10:06 AM
dean

Trattoria Cibreo around back from the more famous restaurant. Food from the same kitchen on a slightly more limited menu. Nice small selection of affordable wines. You sit at large tables with whoever is sitting there and you wait in line to get your table. Well under $100.00 a couple.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 03:03 AM
harmony

I heard the Trattoria Cibreo was way over rated. The place is like an assembly line they get you in and get you out. I heard that food was OK, no pastas and full of tourists.

Any other recommendations on great places in Florence?

Thanks.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 06:55 AM
sue

Trattoria Anita.
It is tucked away on a narrow street near the uffizi.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 08:27 AM
dean

I have dined at Trattoria Cibreo many a time and never found what you have heard. Its a tiny and noisy trattoria with 4 large tables. You sit next to whoever is sitting there at the time. The service is neither slow or elegant. As to the food, I have been int he Italian restaurant business for 10 years at a restaurant that specialized in authentic Italian country side/home style cooking. I have also been to Italy 8 times. I would put Trattoria Cibreo among the best of all the food I have had in Italy.

As to the no pasta, there you have heard right. Cibreo is devoted to authentic, traditional Tuscan food, prepared in a modern, lighter style. Since pasta is a more recent addition to the typical Tuscan diet, there is no pasta on the menu. There is a wonderful polenta with herbs and butter.

Lastly, about the tourists part. If you mean tour groups, then Trattoria Cibreo will be free of them. But there are a lot of foreign visitors to the restaurant. But you will also hear a lot of Italian spoken. There will also be a lot of European visitor. American and Brits will be in the minority. At the restaurante side of Cibreo, you will find more English being spoken. But if you go to Jean Georges in Manhatten, Boulevard in San Francisco, or Spago in Los Angeles you will find that those restaurants also have a huge foreign clientele.

If your desire is to have an authentic experience of Itlaian culture, then most restaurants in Florence will not satisify as it is a town dominated by visitors. Go out to the countryside and eat in small villatges and hill towns. If you want creative preparations based on historically correct traditional food that tastes delicious and is very well priced, go to Trattoria Cibreo.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 11:19 AM
Carol

We loved 13 Gobbi
Via Porcellana,9r near Santa Maria Novella
Great food,nice atmosphere,friendly staff and not too expensive.
just there a month ago. Enjoy!

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 11:26 AM
x

The Antinori family (the winemakers) own a palace in Florence, and next door is their wonderful eponymous restaurant where you may sample their best reds by the glass, along with some very delicious food. We've been eating there for the past 14 years, and it never fails to delight. You must call ahead for a reservation - ask your hotel to handle this.