chateauneuf du pape winery on Sunday for wine beginners

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2013, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have suggestions on wineries to visit on Sunday, June 2 in Chateauneuf du Pape. We are 4 adults and are wine beginners. We have a car. Merci!
Old May 2nd, 2013, 08:11 AM

Most wineries (maybe all??) close on Sundays.

http://www.clos-montolivet.fr/accueil_uk.html

Stu Dudley
Old May 2nd, 2013, 08:12 AM

Click the "contact" key

Stu Dudley
Old May 2nd, 2013, 09:18 AM

Interesting timing for this question! I actually have an email out to this winery to see if they will do a tour that exact day. I will reply again to this thread once I hear back to share my information.

http://www.beaucastel.com/index.php?langue=en&page=home
Old May 2nd, 2013, 09:20 AM

Oh, and also I found this directory of wineries in Provence in case it's of help...

http://provencewineusa.com/directory
Old May 2nd, 2013, 09:27 AM

In France, Sunday lunch out for the whole family is a tradition--and that means that the period of noon to 3:00 p.m. everything pretty much shuts down (that's somewhat true of week days as wel).
Old May 4th, 2013, 07:48 PM

I never did hear back from Beaucastel. I'm assuming that means they do not open Sundays.
Old May 5th, 2013, 06:16 AM

They probably are not open on Saturdays either.

Stu Dudley
Old May 6th, 2013, 10:18 PM
Original Poster

Merci, Stu, Meredity and Underhill. I'll try some vineyards from the directory and maybe change to Saturday. Stu, I'm new to Fodors Forum and I never found the "contact" key. Meredith, I'm sorry for us all you did not hear from Beaucastel.
Old May 6th, 2013, 11:07 PM

Consider the Cave du Verger at the top of the hill in Chateauneuf du Pape.
www.caveduverger.com Its not a winery but we have visited on prior occasions and been given rather entertaining demonstrations about wine, wine tasting and the culture of wine. They pour from several wineries and are limited to their selections but they have good quality. You would definitely need to pre-arrange your visit but our experience is that people learn while visiting and always enjoy themselves. We've taken friends and family and it is always a good intro to the area. Good luck.
Old May 7th, 2013, 06:01 AM

>> Stu, I'm new to Fodors Forum and I never found the "contact" key. <<

"contact" is on their home page menu. Anyway, it says that they are closed on Sunday and open by appointment only on Saturday. They close for lunch on weekdays.

The place mcanimals recommended is open on Sunday until 4PM. They are closed on Sundays in July & August.

Stu Dudley
Old May 7th, 2013, 02:06 PM
Zo

Yes, you are probably better off with Cave du Verger, especially as beginners - you will get to taste a wider range and probably learn more. The one time I was there, we just walked in. But visiting a winery is not the same as in the US, few of them are set up for tourists or take walk-ins, and Sunday will be tough.

Even better if you get over to nearby Gigondas is the Caveau du Gigondas in the middle of town where you can taste from a list of almost all the producers in Gigondas. If I recall corectly it is free or else a few euros. More info at: http://www.gigondas-vin.com/decouvrir/
Old May 7th, 2013, 05:49 PM

Zo's recommendation is right on but it is a ways from Chateauneuf du Pape. It is open on Sunday and there is no charge for the amazing array of locally produced wines--virtually all red. You will get no info other than a list of almost 175 wines--this is because the caveau represents all the wineries and will not give preferential treatment. Its taken me a few trips there to get over the intimidation factor and there are clearly some very knowledgeable tasters. I have some great stories from that place!

Still, Cave du Verger is designed to educate, entertain and sell--especially for the less experienced. Good wine selection though--enjoy.
Old May 7th, 2013, 09:12 PM

>>Gigondas is the Caveau du Gigondas <<

Yep - that's just a small room where they provide no explanations, and pour stuff from what looks like 200ML plastic bottles. No atmosphere, no suggestions, no discussion - you just go there and ask for A or B or G or H and have a taste. It is not a wine "experience" - just a place to taste and purchase mostly red wine.

Stu Dudley