Changing trains in Paris/Caen

Jan 17th, 2011, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Changing trains in Paris/Caen

Coming from London to Bayeux. Taking fast train (Eurostar??) that comes into Gare du Nord. Is there a time change?

Then I have to change trains and get to the St. Lazare station. I read,

Walk off the Eurostar platform and follow the signs for RER line E direction Haussmann Saint-Lazare. Take RER line E one stop to Saint-Lazare.

Is this difficult to do? How long should it take?

Need to get an idea what time/train I should take to Bayeux.
Jan 17th, 2011, 11:00 AM

You lose an hour going to Paris clockwise

The RER E transfer is straight forward - next station and I believe the end of the line - all escalators/lifts on that end at least. Should take no more than 30 mins - watch for the E in a circle signs with RER on it and follow them to Magenta station as I believe the RER E Gare du Nord station is properly called. Can be quicker than a taxi if taxi queues I have seen are any indication.

At Saint-Lazare following signs for Grandes Lignes - the main part of the station with long-distance trains and not the commuter (Banlieue or suburb though I probably have spelt it wrong) part of the station.
Jan 17th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much.
Jan 17th, 2011, 12:06 PM

another route from London would be to take a train to Portsmouth Harbour then a ferry to Outstreham, the port of the city of Caen, which is a few miles from Bayeux - take a bus from Oustreham ferry port to Caen's train station then a 20-min or so train ride to Bayeux - could be cheaper - also boats to Cherbourg from Britain which is also a short train ride from Bayeux. When I was in Bayeux a few years back they were advertising 29 euro fast catamaran boats Cherbourg to Portsmouth and v.v. - This route could be cheaper and a bit more convenient IMO than changing in Paris.
Jan 17th, 2011, 12:39 PM

Last October, I went from Amsterdam to Paris on the Thalys and then from Paris to Bayeux. We took a taxi between du Nord and St. Lazare for about 5-7 Euros. Check the SNCF website for departure times - in general, I think they leave about every two hours, and it takes about 2.5 hours to get from Paris to Bayeux. The trains are nice. The station in Bayeux is within walking distance of the city center, or, you ought to be able to get a cab at the station. Or, you could also rent a car right across the street from the station. We loved Bayeux! Hope you will too.