first-time in switzerland

Jan 11th, 2011, 03:49 AM
Original Poster

first-time in switzerland

Pls suggest a 6 full-day itenary in switzerland starting from Geneva and ending at Zurich
Jan 11th, 2011, 03:57 AM

http://www.myswitzerlandtravel.com/S...ry-6-days.html

many options not a lot of time...

Spend several days in Alpine areas like Zermatt if you can.

www.luzern.org is very pretty...

Make more time if you can try not to cram...

Minimum 2 nights in each neat place I choose

so max 3 places for me...

Happy Research,
Jan 11th, 2011, 07:12 AM

Going by train or car?

By train - which many find the best way to get around Switzerland if going to the mountainous areas like the Jungfrau Region where cars cannot even be driven in much of it - then here's one possible:

1- Geneva
2- Golden Pass specialty scenic train to Interlaken (train first to Montreux)
3- Interlaken/Jungfrau Region
4- "
5-"
6- Lucerne via Golden Pass scenic train over the Brunig Pass - direct trains in about an hour from Lucerne to Zurich Airport.

IMO The Interlaken/Jungfrau Region is the essence of the Alpine wonderland Switzerland we have etched in our minds' eye - literally and figuratively IMO the high point in Switzerland.

And if going by train (driving routes can be similar though once you reach the Jungfrau Region you must pay a rather steep fee to park your car) then check out these great IMO sites for planning a Swiss rail trip - www.swisstravelsystem.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com; www.seat61.com; www.ricksteves.com. And yes the Swiss Pass IMO is one of the greater bargains around in Switzerland though some prefer the Half-Fare Card.
Jan 11th, 2011, 10:48 AM

Coming out of Geneva take time to stop at the towns along Lac Leman (approx. an hour outside the city) like Lausanne, Vevey, and Montreux.
Jan 12th, 2011, 06:52 AM

You may well want to go right from Geneva Airport to a more smaller and romantic place on Lake Geneva like Montreux or Vevey, as Suze mentions above. If you arrive early enough you'd have time to hop one of the lake steamers that frequently ply between these towns (if have a Swiss Pass 100% covers the boats) - but most will find Vevey or Montreux more dreamy than a large modern city like Geneva. And when it comes time to move onto say the Interlaken area then you can hop the Golden Pass scenic train right from Montreux.
Jan 12th, 2011, 10:57 AM

6 days is so short, I would proably 'skip' seeing Geneva other than arriving there (train station and airport are connected) and go directly out to Vevey or Montreux for your 1st night.
Jan 13th, 2011, 10:23 AM

Switzerland is so so tiny that after landing you could in a few hours by train or car be in so many great places your first day - Montreux or Vevey or even in the Interlaken (Jungfrau Region) or Zermatt is just a few hours from trains leaving right from Geneva Airport - so many trains going everywhere all the time.
Jan 14th, 2011, 06:40 PM

Some of this information will be useful for us, as I was asking a question about the Golden Pass rail journeys yesterday. I have copied the web links shown above to look up. However, if PalenQ can give some more information about the Golden Pass scenic train I appreciate this. Is it a completely special train that we would need to prebook before the expected date of our journey. Is it the sort of travel that one does in parts - ie stopping at each of the towns for an overnight stay? Where do you put your luggage then, if you are travelling each day? Or is the Golden Pass scenic rail a one day type of excursion, from one town to the end and then back to the starting town? We are in a bit of an "information internet overload" faze just now and are finding it hard to disseminate the huge amount of choices that there are. If anyone has personal experience of travelling along the Golden Pass route I would appreciate your feedback - did you stay at any of the places overnight - names of accommodation would be helpful to us. Many thanks.
Jan 14th, 2011, 09:22 PM

Hi 2toitaly,

The Golden Pass scenic train is a special trip designed and marketed for tourists -- it includes carriage with big windows and some carriages designed in a Belle Epoque style.

However, regular trains run over the very same tracks so local folks and other travellers can get between the towns. There are always some regular carriages, even on the specially designated Golden Pass trains.

The entire route runs between Montreux on Lake Geneva past Gstaad past Zweisimmen past Spiez past Interlaken to end at Luzern (you may want to just see these towns on a map, for instance at google's map engine). You can either do the entire trip in one day (takes about four hours I think) or you can just hop from one town to the next, all as you want.

You can get all the information on the route and the carriages at one site

www.goldenpass.ch

Every time you travel on Swiss trains (scenic ones or not), yes you carry your luggage with you and leave the bags in the areas at the end of the cars. You have the option to ship your bags separately, but it costs about 20 chf -- you deposit them before 09.00 and you get them back after 18.00.

Really hopes this helps!

s
Jan 14th, 2011, 09:25 PM

Oh, forgot to say --

Depending on how much time you have, I would stop at Montreux for three or four nights, then in the Interlaken area (I prefer the smaller villages IN the mountains) for four or five nights, then in Luzern for one or two nights.

I'm also very partial to lovely Gstaad, and if you don't have time to stop there for some nights, you can always get off, stroll the town, and have lunch.

s
Jan 15th, 2011, 07:05 AM

swandav has said about all about Golden Pass - check out the VIP seats that put you right next to the driver and make you think you are driving the train! Those seats must be booked months in advance to get as they are few in number but offer a really unique vantage point.
Jan 16th, 2011, 09:50 AM

Note that some sections of the Golden Pass, at least to nab seats in the Observation cars may require seat reservations before boarding but segments from Spiez to Interlaken and Interlaken to Lucerne do not I believe. That said to get a seat in the domed panoramic observation cars you should book in advance and IME you can book on the Golden Pass link Swandav2000 gives even if you do not yet have a ticket or a railpass - same for the VIP seats.
Jan 17th, 2011, 01:04 PM

To book VIP seats or any Golden Pass seats or for more info on Golden Pass:

http://www.goldenpass.ch/goldenpass_...isimmen_enThis link is safe.GoldenPass Panoramic Montreux-ZweisimmenThe countryside through which the GoldenPass line passes, is characterised by its richness and ... Travel in VIP seats ... ... just like the engine driver! ...
http://www.goldenpass.ch/goldenpass_..._zweisimmen_en
Jan 17th, 2011, 01:04 PM

To book VIP seats or any Golden Pass seats or for more info on Golden Pass:

http://www.goldenpass.ch/goldenpass_...isimmen_enThis link is safe.GoldenPass Panoramic Montreux-ZweisimmenThe countryside through which the GoldenPass line passes, is characterised by its richness and ... Travel in VIP seats ... ... just like the engine driver! ...
http://www.goldenpass.ch/goldenpass_..._zweisimmen_en