Please help-7 days in Switzerland???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2009, 11:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be on our first visit to Switzerland coming in by train from Lyons. I have a conference in Geneva and need to be there for 2 days. My husband would like to go to Lucerne to see the accelerator. (he is a scientist). We know that some of the best train trips in the world are here with the amazing scenery . We are not hikers but are fit. We will be travelling from Australia in May 2010.
Old Aug 29th, 2009, 12:37 AM

Hi sydgirl1,

Isn't the accelerator at CERN, in Geneva?

Yes, you should take some time to see the very high Alps in Switzerland. The two areas that most first-time visitors enjoy are either Zermatt or the Berner Oberland (specifically the Jungfrau area). To research these areas, take a look at these sites

www.myjungfrau.ch

www.zermatt.ch

You can research all your train trips at the Swiss rail site,

www.rail.ch

One great train trip is from Montreux (on Lake Geneva) past Gstaad and Zweisimmen to Interlaken in the Jungfrau area. It's called the Golden Pass, and you can see it at this site

www.goldenpass.ch

Have fun!

s
Old Aug 29th, 2009, 01:18 AM

Yes, the accelerator is in Geneva, not in Lucerne.

May is a bit early for the high Alps. And it makes a huge difference if early or late May. In early May I'd concentrate on the area around the lakes and the foot of the mountains, just doing an occasional day trip to the high mountains. Meaning, stay on Lake Thun and do a day trip to Kleine Scheidegg/Jungfraujoch on a beautiful day. And since you want to see Geneva (accelerator) I highly recommend Montreux/Vevey on Lake Geneva. Great in spring. It's an easy day trip to Geneva from there and also a day trip to the high Alps (Zermatt) is doable from there.

Split your time 50/50 between Montreux/Vevey and Lake Thun/Bernese Oberland.
Old Aug 29th, 2009, 04:39 AM

Search for Palenque's Scenic Swiss Trains for a complete rundown on the great train trips in Switzerland.
Old Aug 29th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help and correction of CERN. I have looked at each of these sites and they have great information. Makes it all seem so much more real.Silly question: coming from Lyons which order should we do these trips? Any tips about best places to stay on this journey? What are the things we must not miss doing at these places??
Old Aug 29th, 2009, 08:14 PM

Hi sydgirl1,

I'm sorry, I'm not sure which of the destinations we've suggested that you have chosen. I don't think that you can get to them all in seven days -- you would probably be better off chosing one more in addition to your time at the lake.

Once you've nailed down your definite stop/s, we can help you with an itinerary, tips, accommodation, etc.

s
Old Aug 29th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Original Poster

Sorry s I shouldn't expect you to read my mind. I was thinking of following what most of you had mentioned staying in or near Geneva for 2 nights/3 days and trying to visit the Golden Pass- Jungfrau area and Zermatt.Is this doable? It is so far to travel from Australia that I can't see us being back for a couple of years so we would like to see as much as we could. Palenque's posts are awe inspiring and I can't wait to see the beauty for myself.
Old Aug 29th, 2009, 10:29 PM

Hi again,

I'm sorry, I meant *either* the Jungfrau area *or* Zermatt. I think it's too much to do both in seven days (assuming two or three days at the lake). That would be too much packing & unpacking, too many hotel lobbies, and too many long train trips, which would steal time away from being on the mountains.

If you were to force it, of course the route would be Geneva-Zermatt, then back-tracking to Montreux for the Golden Pass to the Jungfrau area. But that would barely leave you with one day at each spot.

Have fun!

s
Old Aug 30th, 2009, 07:37 PM

Ingo is absolutely right on the time of the visit. May is a transistion month and many of the high cable rides are not operating. For example, the Grindelwald - First gondola does not operate between April 13 and 16 May. The cable car from Wengen to the Männlichen does not begin summer operations until the end of May - May 30 this past season.

If you are in Interlaken and want to go to Zermatt, the fastest way is by car. I have made the round trip with time to ride up to the Klein Matterhorn, linger a while, and return. Then we shopped in Zermatt and had dinner in a lovely hotel restaurant in Täsch before heading back to Interlaken.

The rail schedule is thusly:
Lv Interlaken West 7:06
Ar Zermatt 9:14

There are other connections earlier and later that require two changes of trains. Once in Spiez, and once in Visp.

You would ride the train a little over 4 hours.
Some of the scenery is nice, and you do get the experience of the new base tunnel that goes under the Alps.

I think I would focus on one area. The Grindelwald-Lauterbrunnen area offer "reachability", transportation, and beautiful views.