paris to normandy to london

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2015, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This August I'm planning on going from Paris to Bayeux to Paris to London via Chunnel.
I'm 77 (but active) and will be traveling with my 16 &15 year old grandsons. We will have luggage and plan to stay overnight in Bayeux. We don't have a hotel in Paris yet, but with our luggage how would you recommend us getting from our hotel to St. Lazare station? Then From St. Lazare to Gare de Nore?
Thanks,
Old May 12th, 2015, 08:25 AM

From Caen's port Oustreham you can take an overnight ferry or fast daytime ferry to Portsmouth (Southampton?) and then take a train from the dock to London - much easier than Schlepping back thru paris - fares can be as low as 29 euros for fast day boats from Oustreham or Cherbourg, about an hour by train from Bayeux.

So check those options as well

Or take train from Bayeux to Saint-Lazare in Paris then RER E from there to Gare du Nord - RER E is a modern train with lots of room for teens to carry your bags in - since it starts at Saint-Lazare there will be plenty of room when you board. When get off at Gare de Nord lower level RER E station just follow signs for Eurostar or Grandes Lignes - to the main part of the station where the Chunnel trains and long-distance French trains leave from - Eurostar check-in at least 30 mins before the train of course to be sure of getting on.

From your hotel to Saint-Lazare station just have your hotel desk order a cab - many hotels are close to metro stations too so if you don't have much luggage take the metro right to Saint-Lazare (or RER which is a fast metro).

Trains Bayeux-Caen-Saint-Lazare are fairly flat fare so no really reason to book in advance - just buy ticket when you get to Bayeux (or you can buy online www.capitainetrain.com or www.voyages-sncf.com - same trains two different booking engines - don't forget to self-cancel your tickets before boarding by putting them in automatic cancelling machines at entrances to platforms - if you do not you may not be considered to have a valid ticket and could be fined -applies only to full-fare fully flexible tickets that could be used again is not cancelled (some trains may be on the honor system and have no counductors checking).

For lots of good info on French trains check: www.ricksteves.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.seat61.com. Caen to Paris trains can be full at rush hours or quite full - first class is never more than half-full in general on French trains IME so as those are fairly cheap tickets maybe pay a little extra for first class where you can just put your bags on an empty seat.
Old May 12th, 2015, 08:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
"Portsmouth (Southampton?)"

not sure where you come from P but for people in Hampshire that is close to fighting talk

Harry, great advice above and is better than I would have offered though in the same vein. Gare du Nord is the second busiest station in the world, so I might also check out a station via google (carte gare du nord might do it) on where you are going as the crowds can get pretty confusing.

Ouistreham (with an i) is a pretty little town with a ferry port stuck in it. Cherbourg is on the tip of that bit that sticks up north towards the UK to the west of Normandy and the town is a larger traditional port with a great aquarium/submarine to visit, a fortress glowers down over the port from a nearby small mountain (visitable) plus the ferry of course
Old May 12th, 2015, 08:53 AM

In Cherbourg too I went in the gaping huge hulk of the trans-Atlantic terminal - now a mere echo of its past business - kind of maudlin - old posters were still on some of the walls - maybe this is all gussied up now but some years ago very kind of sad but if taking a boat from there yes Cherbourg is an interesting city - Oustreham mainly a small vacation town it seemed to be with nice beaches that are too cold for anyone to swim in but Brits!

http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/fe...ries-to-france
Old May 12th, 2015, 12:10 PM

not sure where you come from P but for people in Hampshire that is close to fighting talk>

Been to both several times and Portsmouth is by far my favorite - the Maritime Museum of British naval prowess is a major site and there is a pleasant seaside area.