CHANGING FLIGHT TIME WITH EXPEDIA?

Mar 19th, 2004, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

CHANGING FLIGHT TIME WITH EXPEDIA?

We recently purchased airline tickets through Expedia. We have to depart earlier than expected. I tried to call customer service with no luck...also went to the website, but can't find any info. Do any of you know if Expedia allows you to change your flight itinerary once tickets are purchased? Thanks in advance, Ang
Mar 19th, 2004, 12:58 PM

Expedia is just like a travel agent. Once the ticket is issued, you can call the airline directly. Depending on the fare class your ticket is purchased, you may be able to change it with no charge, change it with a charge, or absolutely no change possible. The airline's agent will let you know.

Unless this is an Expedia-only special offer. Then you just have to call them, but usually with those special fares, you can't change anything.
Mar 19th, 2004, 12:59 PM

And, when you said, "I tried to call customer servie with no luck", what did you mean? Did you talk to someone and they said "no", or could you not find anybody to talk to?
Mar 19th, 2004, 01:04 PM

I think the first response was right You should call the airline.
Mar 20th, 2004, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Ooops, it was actually Travelocity...I don't know why I said Expedia 8-P

When I called customer service they were experiencing a high volume of calls, so I haven't been able to get through. The flight we'd like to change is from Santiago de Compostela, Spain to Paris through British Airways (operated by Iberia).

Thanks for the info!
Mar 20th, 2004, 07:39 AM

The above advice is wrong. The airline will not touch a ticket issued by a TA till you complete the first segment. Only then will the airline work with you. The TA is THE ONLY ONE allowed to change the ticket. Whether there will be costs involved it will depend on your fare class and what's allowed and whta's not under the T&C of the fare.
Mar 20th, 2004, 07:41 AM

I should have said till you check-in for the first segment.
Mar 20th, 2004, 10:58 AM

AAFF - Thanks for the correction. Come to think of it, I have never had to change the outgoing segment of any flight, so I should have kept quiet...
Mar 20th, 2004, 01:56 PM

I had something similar happen, booking Travelocity, and I got the time changed. Travelocity has to check with BA, which they did while I was on the line (I think they have some more direct line to call than we would). I did the heavy-lifting -- looked online to see which flight I wanted, knew the number and flight time, and then called Travelocity. I also knew from checking fares on BA/Iberia, that the flight I wanted was actually a much cheaper flight than the one they had booked me on, in case they protested.

I didn't really have any problem, however my case was different than yours -- I didn't just change because I had a change in plans or wanted to, they had switched my connecting flight to a different time six hours later than originally planned (due to BA rescheduling), and so I was asking for a different substitute than the one they automatically assigned me. That's not exactly the same as just saying you want a different date than you bought.

I've never had that much trouble getting Travelocity, I think there are certain times when it is not good to call, however (like Mondays). Also, for that kind of change, the night guy I first talked to couldn't do it as they had to talk to some customer service person at BA who was there only in the day time (the US BA office).

I'm not sure what AAFF means about an airline not touching a ticket until you complete the first segment, as I got my time and flight changed and haven't even taken the trip yet. I have also double-checked with BA directly since then to make sure, and they did have me correctly booked on the alternate flight I changed to (which was even a different airport and codeshare airline). I think you do have to go through Travelocity, but I think they have some special marketing deal with BA, which might help. I already had my tickets cut, and BA just told me I could get the new one for the different flight/time (which was my second segment) at the airport when I checked in for the first segment flight.

It's worth a try, anyway.
Mar 20th, 2004, 02:02 PM

I have had lots of success getting Delta to change tickets my TA has booked BEFORE the first flight. I would give the airline a call, the worst that could happen is they tell you have to wait for Expedia to respons.
Mar 20th, 2004, 05:44 PM

Chrisdtina,

That's exactly what I meant. You had to call Travelocity in order to adjust/change the ticket. If an agency issues the ticket, the agency is the only one that could change the ticket. The airline cannot re-write the ticket till after you check-in. The airline will make changes, but the agency has to re-issue the ticket.
Without knowing 'CarolA's' full story, I could only guess that her agent just bought the ticket in CarolAs name. The agent did not issue the ticket, that's why she was able to call the airline directly and do whatever she needed to do.
That's the difference.
Mar 21st, 2004, 05:02 AM

I buy my business tickets via a full service travel agency and yes Delta does change them for me. It may help that I am a DL perferred flyer. It does take them forever to do it, but....

The other interesting part is once I get Delta to make the first change I have to get them to make all subsequent changes. The agency will do it, but they have to call Delta also since Delta has now "taken" back the reservation (their words not mine) In my case Delta takes control as soon as I process my first upgrade to first class.

I do believe the airlines can change a TA ticket, I just don't think they want to a lot!