Chamonix or the Matterhorn

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2016, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in southern Switzerland about the 3rd week in May and can't decide between visiting either Chamonix or the Matterhorn . Either would be a day trip. Any help or tips would be appreciated...thanks.
We have flexibility to stay close to either.
Old May 17th, 2016, 01:45 PM

Both are awesome but Zermatt has the Matterhorn - Chamonix has Mt Blanc and to me one of the world's most thrilling aerial gondola rides- Aiguille de Midi to Pte Heilbronner it Italy and back - high above a sea of ice - the small gondolas stop a lot to let folks on and off at each end and you are left dangling in silence high above the ice below (which you can hear cracking).

https://www.google.com/search?q=aigu...w=1745&bih=868

Glaciers also tumble practically down to town - to get there from Switzerland you take the very scenic Martigny-Chamonix scenic train - if you have a Swiss Pass it is fully valid to Chamonix.

Having been to both twice I prefer Chamonix as a town and for things to do close to town- Zermatt is exciting too but for one day the Matterhorn can always be shrouded in fog, clouds or mists.

You can't go wrong.

For lots on trains to either and in Switzerland in general check www.swisstravelsystem.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com; www.seat61.com.

Martigny is a nice nice town to base in.
Old May 18th, 2016, 05:44 AM

The Aiguille du Midi - Pointe Hellbronner gondola doesn't work in May.
Actual temperatures at 8am:
Chamonix 3 degrees centigrade above zero
Aiguille du Midi 4 degress centigrade below zero
snow limit around 1500 metres
Zermatt 2 degrees centigrade above zero
Matterhorn Paradise 6 degrees centigrade below zero
sn ow limit around 1800 metres
Old May 18th, 2016, 06:34 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Chamonix is more easily accessible.
Old May 20th, 2016, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

I was thinking of doing it as a day trip from Montreux, we will have a car. Do I understand correctly though t is not even an option any time for May 25 till may 29? Is that doable? We would have flexibility with the day because we will be there 5 days. But it sounds like
Old May 20th, 2016, 08:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you drive for the Matterhorn you are going to have to park in the large lot at Tesch and take the train into Zermatt which is car-free.

If you do go up higher there is a livecam in the Gornergrat railway waiting room on which you can see if the peak itself is shrouded in clouds before you buy tickets.
Old May 20th, 2016, 08:20 AM

We prefer Chamonix for above... Also don't love the scenery coming into Zermatt...also, if you come on a cloudy day, you will not see the peak aT all. ...but that's just travel luck, which is always a mystery...
Old May 20th, 2016, 08:47 AM

We did Chamonix and took Aiguille de Midi and I had horrible altitude sickness. I was pretty surprised about that since I live at 5500'+
Old May 20th, 2016, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info, I was able to find the schedule and if we have a clear day we can make it work.
Sorry to hear about your altitude sickness DebitNM
Old May 20th, 2016, 01:39 PM

In Chamonix you can stock up on cheap food in stores or cheaper on almost anything than in Switzerland.

It's a pretty drive from Martigny to Chamonix - roughly following the scenic rail line (or leave you car in Martigny if not liking Alpine roads and take the train).
Old May 22nd, 2016, 09:32 AM

I prefer Zermatt, because of the Matterhorn and Chez Vrony. I can't say I like Chamonix that much, as a village I prefer Megève.

But right now, I'd head to Chamonix, or rather to Courmayuer on the other side of the tunnel. I'm very curious about the newly opened Skyway that a couple of friends say it's a lot nicer that the Aiguille du midi. I also think the pedestrian street in Courmayeur is much nicer than any street in Chamonix.
Old May 23rd, 2016, 02:31 AM

If you stay at Montreux, go to Chamonix. May be you do a roundtrip Montreux - Martigny - Forclaz Pass - Le Chatelard (starting point of the touristic Emosson railway) - Montets Pass - Argentiere - Chamonix - St. Gervais - Cluses - Gets Pass - Thonon - Evian - Bouveret - Villeneuve - Montreux.

The closest glaciers would be Glacier 3000 (Glacier des Diablerets, Glacier de Tsanfleuron): 25 miles by car from Montreux plus gondola. But Chamonix is a much better solution.
Old Jun 7th, 2016, 12:10 AM

if you do go to Courmayuer, as recommended above, think about going to pres st didier thermal spa. we were just there, and it was really great. pretty hot water, and lots of pools and other options... all with a view of the beautiful mont blanc. (trip report coming as soon as jet lag releases my mind!)
Old Jun 7th, 2016, 11:51 AM

I'm very curious about the newly opened Skyway that a couple of friends say it's a lot nicer that the Aiguille du midi.>

IME how can something be a lOT nicer than the Aiguille du Midi to Pte Heilbronner cable cars? Or are you just talking about the Aiguille du Midi itself and not taking the awesome cableway from there to Italy - another way to reach Courmayeur area.
Old Jun 7th, 2016, 11:51 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
That trip has already sailed.
Old Nov 6th, 2016, 05:23 AM

What is the "Skyway"?
Old Nov 10th, 2016, 06:56 PM

OK, I like Chamonix, son lived there for 5 months, and I visited. Really lovely village, and awesome lift up to Mt Blanc. Not sure about May, but awesome place I thought. but then there is the Matterhorn....I'm not much help here. Sue