6 days in Switzerland have turned into 15, our itineray

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2006, 10:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are heading off for our first trip to Europe at the end of April 2007 for 7-8 weeks, DH and I are taking long service leave. During our initial planning we had about 6 days to spend “somewhere” after Amsterdam and before we had to be in Denmark. Switzerland came out on top and thanks to everyone who gave me suggestions we decided to base ourselves in Brienz. After reading lots of posts from the lovers of all things Swiss your enthusiasm became contagious, I knew 6 days was just not going to be long enough. So after re-arranging our ideas on the spreadsheet, moving our 12 days on the Norwegian Coastal Voyage forward, asking for another week of leave, we have now got 15 days to spend in Switzerland. We have decided a 15 day Swiss Saver Pass will be best for us – hence the 15 days! So now I would like to run our itinerary by you and would yet again appreciate your input.

We are both 50, fit and enjoy scenery, walking and just taking it all in. We have decided to try Youth Hostels for our accommodation, the prices are very good for double rooms including breakfast, some even include the evening meal, we can live with showers down the hall for a week. Plus I think we will meet lots of interesting people. I have included some of the things we hope to do (weather & time permitting).

Day 1: We will be meeting up with another couple at Zurich Airport around midday on June 1st- Train to Pontresina o/n at Youth Hostel.

Day 2: Continue on the Bernina line with a possible stop at Alp Grum for a walk to Bernina Ospiz , may have to forward luggage onto Tirano. Catch 14.25 bus to Lugano o/n at Youth Hostel.

Day 3: Lugano - Cog train/cable up San Salvatore and walk down to Morcote, ferry back to Lugano o/n at Youth Hostel .

Day 4: Walk the Olive Path to Grandia, ferry to Campione in Italy or around the lake, also possibly getting up to Bellinzonia to see castles and scenery. Monte Bre if time permits o/n at Youth Hostel.

Day 5: Early morning train to Locarno. Catch the FART and ride the Centovalli line to Domodossola . From here we can take the train onto Brig then train to Zermatt for one night at Youth Hostel. Would like to go on the Gonergrat if time permits.

Day 6: Zermatt, Brig to Spiez via the Lotschberg Tunnel,Golden Pass to Vevey or Zermatt, Visp to for 3 nights in a Youth Hostel.

Day 7 & 8: Vevey – walk the promenade, Chillon Castle, Rochers de Naye, Chexbres, Gruyeres, ferry on Lake Geneva

Day 9: Vevey to Brienz for 7 nights in an apartment to explore the BO, Lucerne, lakes etc. Then we will be sadly heading for home from Zurich.

Hope this gives you some idea of what we would like to do. I await your suggestions and thanks for taking the time to read this.

Maudie
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 01:05 AM

"Day 6: Zermatt, Brig to Spiez via the Lotschberg Tunnel,Golden Pass to Vevey or Zermatt, Visp to for 3 nights in a Youth Hostel."

This makes no sense to me at all. Why would you leave Zermatt and then go back there..or is this just so you can take the Golden Pass route (which would take you through Montreux). I assume you are ending up in Vevey that night? You'll have to pass through Visp on the way out of Zermatt toward Brig...please explain this part of your plans further.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 01:41 AM
Original Poster

Dukey, sorry my mistake, typo! What I meant was Zermatt to Vevey via the Lotschberg tunnel and Spiez OR Zermatt to Vevey via Visp and Martigny.

Hope that is clearer. Just wondering which is the most interesting route.

Thanks, Maudie
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 03:15 AM

I assume you are traveling by rail, is that correct?

If so, then the route to Brig and then through Spiez would be more interesting, scenery-wise, IMO. The ascent out of Brig is quite dramatic, if only short-lived, if you sit on the left-hand side of the train (facing forward). The train ascends the pallisades of the Rhone at that point.

The descent into Montreux through the vineyards is also interesting.

The water-level route Visp-Martigny/Sion-Montreux, etc. is much less interesting although you'll eventually get some great views of LacLeman if you sit on the left-hand side.

i assume you know you'll have to change stations in Brig but it is a simple matter as they are across the street from one another.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 03:17 AM

P.S. as to your possible ascent up the Gornergrat. Go into the station and look at the live cam BEFORE you ascend; it will give you a picture of views from the top. An alternative would be to take the aerial tramway system up to Kleine Matterhorn.

I hope the weather cooperates for you. I like Zermatt itself but the village can easily be seen in a couple of hours.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 03:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks heaps Dukey, just the sort of info I wanted to hear.

Keep it coming!
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 05:23 AM

In Murren there is a Chinese on the main drag (closer to the train station than the cable car gondolas). It is excellent food and the owners are charming. After many days in Switzerland, a meal of Chinese food is heaven! Enjoy your stay. Brienz is beautiful.

Old Jun 29th, 2006, 05:24 AM

ooops -- make that "there is a Chinese restaurant on the main drag"
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 05:28 AM

Hi Maudie,

I fear that your days 7 & 8 are going to be pretty hectic as you are planning to do about four days' worth of stuff!! But here's a tentative plan --

Start out by taking the train from Vevey to Chexbres, then walk downhill through the vineyards to the town of Rivaz (or St Saphorin if you're really enjoying yourself!). Time your arrived to catch the ferry from Rivaz or St. Saphorin (ferry schedule at www.cgn.ch) to Chillon. After poking through Chillon, walk along the promenade back to Montreux. So that'll take care of three of your activities!

I've found that Gruyeres is a full-day activity but *very* well worth it!

After umpteen-thousand visits to Montreux, I haven't gotten up to Rochers-de-Nays; perhaps that's because I assume the views are better in other mountainous regions (BO & Engadin). Yes yes I know this is heresy. But if you run out of time, and because you're heading to the mountains anyway, I would put this last on your list. However, if your trip to Gruyeres doesn't take all day and you find that you have a few hours, you can easily just skip over to the rack railway in Montreux and ascend to Rochers-de-Naye.

Have fun!

s
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 05:54 AM

I would second the trip up to Rochers de Naye.

As spectacular as the trip from Visp up to Zermatt can be, the R de N one is even more so..and that's just the trip up and back.

Be aware that sometimes the view at the top can be a non-entity due to clouds (as can happen at the Gornergrat) but when it is clear the view over LacLeman below is nothing short of breathtaking.

The last time I did this trip (April 2004) it was clear enough in Montreux and as we ascended it got cloudy, then snowy, then ice on the overhead wires so the "train" had to stop and start.

When we got to the top it was totally socked in so we had a wonderful fondue meal at the "cafeteria" with all those stufed animals on the walls. We were the only customers in the place and it was fun and, obviously, memorable.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much every one. Great ideas.

Swandav2000, the Vevey area ideas are just a wish list but I like your plan, that will enable us to see a good days worth.

I feel like this is really starting to come together now, you guys are the best.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 06:21 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You guys beat me too it. That's more sight-seeing then I do staying two weeks at a stretch in Vevey -lol!

Maudie, you'll have a ball!
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 07:11 AM

Oh, you people! I'm trying to work on my Maggiore trip report, and then I take just a peek here, and S' is urging you to stroll the lavaux vineyards to Rivaz and St. Saphorin, and I'm lost in the Vaud. I'm hopelessly attached to Gambarogno, but you know what my screen saver is? It's one of those drop dead views of St. Saphorin from the vineyard path just above it, with lac Leman as a backdrop and those snowy peaks way beyond. I can taste my medallions of beef (veal perhaps?) marsala at Auberge de Rivaz. You're killing me! Affectionately, J.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 07:13 AM

The Youth Hostel in Lugano seems quite pleasant, but in case you decide you'd like your own bath and a little more comfort, the Albergo Pestalozzi is not much more expensive and is quite comfortable. Plus it has a terrific location right in the heart of Lugano and many rooms have beautiful lakeview rooms. Their rates include breakfast; I believe the rates at the Lugano hostel don't.
http://www.attuale.com/pestalozzi.html
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 07:16 AM

for jmw: heeheehee -- you know the saying, so little time, so much Switzerland!

But get back to work on your trip report!! We're all waiting not-so-patiently for each installment. It's just so lovely!

s
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 09:21 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
jmw44- hey that's my screen saver! well actually a shot from my friend's apartment garden terrace in Vevey overlooking the quai, to Lac Leman, and the mountains beyond.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 01:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've heard great things about Switzerland's youth hostels but haven't used one myself... yet.

I'm a bit concerned about the end of April travelling period. You might have rain/snow/sleet and cold temperatures. You'll definitely need the same clothes as on the Norwegian Coastal Voyage. When your itinerary is more definite, make sure you'll find some rainy day things to do in the area.

I can help you with that as soon as I know more where you'll be.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

Btilke, Thank you for that link, I will certainly look into it. The PDF price list for the hostel shows a double room with kitchenette and sink, linen and a buffet breakfast for 48 swiss francs p/p.

Schuler, We are leaving Perth at the end of April and heading to Brugge, Netherlands, Denmark, London, Norway and will hopefully arrive in Zurich on the 1st June. That is why we re-arranged things so the weather would hopefully be better than May. I would love to hear some of your ideas.

Maudie
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 08:17 AM

swandav - Hello! You said:

"Start out by taking the train from Vevey to Chexbres, then walk downhill through the vineyards to the town of Rivaz (or St Saphorin if you're really enjoying yourself!). Time your arrived to catch the ferry from Rivaz or St. Saphorin (ferry schedule at www.cgn.ch) to Chillon."

Can you estimate how much time that would take? Also, how difficult is the walk? Thanks!
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 08:36 AM

Hi suspire!

You can get exact timetables at the cgn site for the ferry and at www.rail.ch for the train. But as I recollect, the train from Vevey to Chexbres takes about 10 minutes; the ferry from Rivaz to Chillon will take 1-2 hours.

The walk from Chexbres to Rivaz is *very* easy as it's all downhill and on a paved path. It's a farm-trail path through the vineyards, so you won't see any cars (maybe an occasional tractor --). I think this will take about 40 minutes.

I usually stop at the Auberge de Rivaz just across the street from the lake (and the dock) and have a bite to eat and a glass of local white (you probably wandered through the vineyards where your white was born!).

Have fun!

s

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -