Central Europe - cooler than usual?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2005, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 33 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been noticing the temperatures in Prague and Krakow lately and they seem to be a bit below what I was expecting - highs in the mid-70s and even upper 60s. Is that pretty standard or can we expect it to be a little warmer? We're leaving July 19. I thought I had made all my packing decisions, but am now wondering if I should rethink and take a few warmer items, including a slightly heavier jacket than the windbreaker I was planning on taking. I was only going to take one pair of pants and two capris (thanks to your suggestions in the "bottoms" posting), but now I'm not so sure. Suggestions on what I might need in the way of warm clothing? Thanks,
Karen
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

P.S. And I wasn't planning on any long-sleeve tops... just short-sleeve ones along with a cardigan sweater as an extra layer.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 08:46 PM
rex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
According to weatherbase.com Prague averages 11 days a month, each July, when it fails to reach 70 degres for the high. And two days a month, in July, when it fails to reach 60 degrees.

The data for Krakow are given a little differently; 65 degrees or higher in July 24 days out of 31; above 80 - - only 4, on average.

Neither city is nearly as reliably warm as Minneapolis in July, for what it's worth.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jul 9th, 2005, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Rex! Brrr! Anyone else have experience with the weather in Prague, Krakow, Vienna, and Budapest in mid to late July? Forget the shorts altogether and add a second pair of long pants?
Old Jul 9th, 2005, 02:15 PM
mdv

My guess is you never can tell. I just returned from Prague and Budapest. Before I left it was quite cool, when I arrived, a heat-wave. Temperatures were regularly in the upper -eighties and low-nineties. The day I left Prague, last Thursday, it was raining. I'd be prepared for anything.
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 06:47 AM

Do keep in mind that averages are just that. The old joke about the guy with his head in the freezer and his feet in the oven being comfortable on average illustrates this.

If a place has 100 degree highs half the time, and 50 degree highs the other half, then the average high is a comfortable 75.
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 07:14 AM

You cannot tell, weather can vary from week to week, at any time of year, as well as summer. I think it was fairly hot in the area at the end of June (as in much of western and central Europe), and then it has cooled down a bit since those highs. It could get hotter again in a couple weeks. So no one can predict for you the exact range the temperature will be. I've been there at the end of June, and it has varied over the several years I've been there at that time from rather cool (maybe only 55-60 at night) to fairly hot (over 80 in the afternoon). I guess you are trying to pack ultra-light with only three pairs of "bottoms" (I assume that includes the pair you will wear), and while that is a packing goal for many, it does have the problems that you must predict fairly accurately the weather. I don't know how long you are going, but I'd probably take more like two capris, two pants. I would not take a really heavy jacket, but if that windbreaker is one of those very light weight nylon things which offer practically no warmth, I would take something a little heaver, or at least couple that with a cardigan sweater you can add for warmth. Some windbreakers are a little heavier than those very thin things, and I think that would be okay along with a cardigan (which I would always take on any trip).
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 01:28 PM
rex

<<If a place has 100 degree highs half the time, and 50 degree highs the other half, then the average high is a comfortable 75.>>

This kind of goofy and anti-scientific statement hs been made here before. No place on earth (or presumably any planet in the universe that has an atmosphere) has weather with a biphasic distribution of highs and lows in a specific month.

Most frequently, the high temperature on any one day for a given month will be closer to the average highs for that month, over the previous century; less frequently, it will be a good deal higher or lower.

It's called a bell-shaped curve.

To get a GED or a high school diploma, it's something a person should understand.