Reload this Page >

Central Athens Hotel

Search

Central Athens Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 09:40 AM
Clare

Central Athens Hotel

Could anyone recommend a hotel in Athens that is central and 4 or 5 star? My typical haunts Hilton and Sheraton are both under renovation! Thanks

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 10:10 AM
Claire52

We stayed at the Divani Palace Acropolis, and loved the location - it's south of the Acropolis, and we thought it was pretty magical at night walking around the Acropolis hill to get to the Plaka, or eating at the hotel's rooftop restaurant with a view of the Acropolis. We've also stayed at the Hilton, and I have to say that the Divani is not quite as fancy - the rooms don't have the marble floors that I remember from the Hilton, and they have a modest pool with a couple of tables with bar service rather than a full outdoor dining area - but it's very pleasant, and, depending on where you like to spend your time, may be more centrally located than the Hilton.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 02:20 PM
Sue

Grande Bretagne at Syntagma Square?

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 07:44 AM
SK

I was just in Greece and I would highly recommend either the Plaka hotel or the Adrian hotel. About 105 Euro per night, the Adrian hotel has a nice view of the Acropolis when you're having breakfast in the rooftop restaurant. Both are located right in the Plaka area and not far from the Acropolis and Syntagma.

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 11:29 AM
Ruth

We were just in Athens and stayed at the Divani Caravel (4-5 star) normally way out of our league but this was for a conference. It is near the Hilton which is indeed being renovated. It has a rooftop pool and great views.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 07:45 AM
katerina

The Grande Bretagne is also undergoing renovation work. Why not try next door, at the Athens Plaza? This is quite a new and modern facility, centrally located in Syntage Square, you can walk to Plaka, on the cliff of the Acropolis, as well as the (trendier with Athenians) neighborhood of Psiri. There is also a pedestrian street, Ermou, which is great for shopping, esp. if you are interested in leather goods. <BR>Katerina<BR>

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 11:24 AM
Clare

Thanks for the great suggestions. I had pretty much decided on the Electra Palace - but it's under renovation too... So I'm left with the Athens Plaza or Interconti/Marriott. Any suggestions?

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 03:40 AM
LivinginLondon

We were recently in Athens and stayed at the Ledra Marriott (which is close to the Intercontinental). Both are located on a very busy street but about a 5 min cab ride from the Acropolis and Plaka area. You can walk (which we did - about 15mins) but it is not very scenic. The rooms at the Marriott were large and in the American style. I would expect the Intercontinental to be similar. The Marriott has a nice rooftop pool with good views of the Acropolis. Overall, we were pleased.<BR><BR>We walked by the Athens Plaza at Syntagma Square. It is more centrally located, but if you are used to American style hotels, you may want to stick with the Marriott or Intercontinental. We had originally booked at the "five-star" St George Lycabettus in Kolonaki (for 250E per night) and the room was small, shabby and the hotel is in need of renovation. We were glad we switched to the Marriott (for 150E per night!). However, I can't comment specifically on the Athens Plaza - maybe someone else can...<BR><BR>Have a great trip.

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 03:47 AM
elef

the athens plaza hotel in syntagma has the disadvantage to be next door to two hotels under renovation!the king george and the grande bretagne!<BR>you should expect,from 6h30 am... a lot of noise,even during the week ends...and of course no warning or apoloz. from the staff....!!!<BR><BR>intercon is impressive ,renovated, however the coffe shop will be under ren this summer.<BR>the marriott is a good choice but isolated and not convenient for sightseeing, so you will need to hire a car or a taxi for each move.(problems of parking and taxis availability)<BR><BR>try the herodion hotel on rovertou galli street near the acropolis or the divani palace.<BR><BR>the herodion has better access to plaka (restaurants and shops) and to the subway network wich in athens is a plus(a real experience as each station has a museum with originals or replicas of antiquities.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 02:04 PM
dennis

we stayed at the inter-continental for a very reasonable $150 usd per night (booked on the web in feb.). the location is not the most convenient, but the hotel operates a shuttle to/from Syntagma Sqaure that runs about every 20 min. or so. used that quite a bit. did walk back from the plaka one night, took about 35 min at a leisurely pace. rooms are large, nicely decorated in the american style. best part was the roof top bar. spent both evenings drinking a bottle of greek wine watching the sun set and the lights come up on the acropolis before heading out to dinner. only disappointment was that the pool was closed for renovation. was so looking forward to plunging in after a day's sightseeing in 95-degree heat!

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 06:39 PM
Sue

NYT travel section had a good piece on Athens on 7/28; probably still able to get it online. Listed hotels in budget, moderate, and luxury classes, as well as restaurants, etc.