Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

CDG to Sarlat - TGV to Brives, rent a car?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2012, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This has been the advice I've been given by the experts on this board - I believe someone said it was about 4 hours from the airport to Brives and an hour and a half or so from Brives to Sarlat. So I handed this off to my husband to research while I looked at accommodations.

He must not have found the right sites - he says it takes 7-8 hours to get to Brives. Could it be that in January, there aren't too many trains, or more stops than there will be in June? He says he's seeing that we'll need to change trains several times. Something doesn't sound right to me.

Any ideas? Should we be flying to Bordeaux or Toulouse or somewhere else rather than taking the train?

Thanks as always,
Alice
Old Jan 21st, 2012, 01:27 PM

I'm not aware of any direct trains from CDG to Brive, though I think I once read about one on here. Carlux will know, I'm sure.

But the regular direct trains from the Gare d'Austerlitz take about 4 hours. Of course, you have to allow time to get through the airport and get into Paris, so it could end up taking a total of 7-8 hours. I usually go direct CDG to Libourne on the TVG, which takes 3 hours, then take the local train to Périgueux (45 minute drive from there to Sarlat).
Old Jan 21st, 2012, 02:24 PM

I've never encountered any direct 4 hr trains from CDG to Brive. There are trains from inner-city Paris to Brive - as StCirq noted. We usually fly to Bordeaux or Toulouse, or take the TGV from CDG to Libourne or Bordeaux.

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 21st, 2012, 02:37 PM

You are mistaken, Carlux said it would take about 4 hrs to Brive from Paris, not from CDG (on your prior post). There are lots of direct trains from Paris Austerlitz that take 4-4:30 hours.
Old Jan 24th, 2012, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

I've investigated this some - we CAN get from CDG to Bordeaux, but alternately, we can fly from the US to Bordeaux (via Amsterdam, thus avoiding the dreaded CDG), but then fly home direct from Paris.

Cost-wise and time-wise, I think it's close to the same if you compare the time for the layover to the time spent on the train, and the extra airfare (not much over what we'd pay for a direct flight) to the cost of the train.

I assume we can rent a car at the airport in Bordeaux and drop it off in Paris (I usually don't get drop-off fees in Europe if I stay in the same country).

Sound like a reasonable plan? Comments WELCOME.

Alice
Old Jan 24th, 2012, 06:48 AM

We've rented cars several times at the Bordeaux airport. We have one reserved for this coming June. I've rented perhaps 40 cars in France & only had to pay drop-off once. I usually return the cars at a location different than the one where I picked it up. This year, we're returning the car in Toulouse.

We are flying SFO to CDG to Bordeaux.

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 24th, 2012, 07:04 AM

Sounds really good to me. Connections through Schipol are relatively effortless (love that airport!). You'll have a bit of a schlep from Mérignac to St-Jean station in Bordeaux, but other than that,sounds like a good plan.
Old Jan 24th, 2012, 07:05 AM

Ooops, I'm a bit undercoffeed this morning - no need to get to St-Jean if you're picking up the rental car at Mérignac, of course. Forget I mentioned that.
Old Jan 24th, 2012, 07:13 AM

There is no TGV from Paris to Brive (no S) la Gaillarde. The regular train, which takes 4 hours, goes from Gare d'Austerlitz
check times on http://www.voyages-sncf.com/

It is theoretically possible to go from Roissy Charles de Gaulle to Brive, but it involves several changes and a lot of time, and so the easiest thing if you choose this route is to get into Paris and take the train directly down to Brive. We have in the past done it through the RER, the Airport bus, or taxi, and found the taxi infinitely easier if you have luggage. I can't face dragging bags up and down staircases any more.

However, another option is to take a plane to Bordeaux or Toulouse and drive - about 2 - 2 1/2 hours. The drive from Toulouse is much simpler, and the airport easy to navigate. This is what we do when we are going anywhere (we live 15 minutes from Sarlat) like Toronto or Cape Town, the two places we go most often. But that's because we don't usually want to go into Paris when travelling. We prefer to do that as another separate trip. This is probably different for people who dont live in France.

You can pick up a car in either of these cities and drop it in another city - even Brive, if you want to go back to Paris by train. Much easier than driving into Paris.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions.
Old Jan 24th, 2012, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, thanks Carlux. I'll see whether airfare is different to Toulouse or Bordeaux. We just might train from Brive when we go to Paris, don't need to decide that YET (but you're right, dropping off in Paris probably isn't easy). But it's definitely sounding like flying to near where we want to be and renting a car makes the most sense (and costs about the same).

No dropoff fees helps a lot (last year we were in Switzerland and Austria and we dropped off the car and took a train to Salzburg rather than drive because the dropoff fee cost more than the car!).

All the expert advice here is much appreciated.
Alice
Old Jan 24th, 2012, 08:54 AM

We find that Toulouse is a little better than Bordeaux for access to Sarlat. In Bordeaux, the airport is on the "other" side of town and if there is heavy traffic on the circular fwy around Toulouse, you'll loose some time. Plus getting on the correct road to Sarlat is a little tricky.

The airport in Toulouse is on the Sarlat side of Toulouse, and getting on the fwy is very easy.

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 24th, 2012, 11:22 AM

All the reasons why we prefer Toulouse to Bordeaux
Old Jan 29th, 2012, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Okay,done. Flying from DC to Toulouse via Amsterdam. Driving to Sarlat, and staying 6 nights at Les Cordeliers.

Next I need to find a place to stay for 3 nights in Figeac or St Cere or somewhere... And of course I haven't even thought about the Paris part yet. Last time (ten years ago), we stayed in the Latin Quarter, so I want to do something different - maybe the Marais? Any suggestions for a good location to stay?

I AM relieved to have the air and Sarlat taken care of!

Alice
Old Jan 29th, 2012, 04:20 PM

Many people like the Domaine de la Rhue just outside of Rocamadour. This would give you good access to Figeac and all the sites east of Souillac.

www.domainedelarhue.com

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 29th, 2012, 06:37 PM

Sounds like your trip is coming together nicely. You will love Les Cordeliers! We stayed there for 6 nights in September. We plan on returning, too!
Old Jan 29th, 2012, 07:00 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
bookmarking as this was to be one of my questions as I was researching the area.
Old Jan 29th, 2012, 07:04 PM

Dont't know anything about Les Cordeliers but Domaine de la Rhue gets really high marks, Including from my late parents.
Old Jan 30th, 2012, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Will check out Domaine de la Rhue TONIGHT. Thanks for the link, Stu.

Alice