Search

CDG to Saint Sulpice

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2004, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CDG to Saint Sulpice

Hello,

My husband and I are arriving at CDG airport this Saturday morning and I just want to make sure I have our transportation plan in order.

We're staying in the 6th and the closest stop to our hotel (Hotel de l'Abbaye) is Saint Sulpice.

Can someone please confirm that we should take the RER to Chatelet Les Halles and then switch to the number 4 line and that will bring us to the Saint Sulpice stop? Or is there a better route? I've tried the route finder on www.ratp.fr several times, but keep getting a "PIVI is not available" message.

By the way, we won't have a lot of luggage with us.

Thanks for your help!
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 12:34 PM
ira

Hi Valerie,

Alot depends on how old you are and how much money you have.

You could go as far as the St. Michele stop, which I think is less of a walk to get to the no. 4 Metro line.

You could use a shuttle service for about 19E pp or a cab for about 45E.
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Ira. We're in our 30's.

It's not necessarily about money--it's more that I was trying to find the most efficient way to get there. And we won't really be in a rush, since it will be 8:00 in the morning.

We live in NYC and take the subway everywhere (plus we've travelled a lot in other cities), so we're pretty used to using public transportation.

I've been to Paris before, but last time I arrived by chunnel train from London, so I've never been to CDG.
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 01:36 PM

I think Ira is right, changing at St Michel is a little more efficient than Chatelet/Les Halles, which I would not do in any case. I wouldn't do either, though, I'd change at Gare du Nord which is the best option, I think.
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 01:42 PM

The RER-B line has a correspondence with Line 4 only at Gare du Nord, Chatelet-les Halles, St Michel and Denfert Rochereau (which you don't want, since you'd have to backtrack).

The question is probably 'which of those stations involves least walking and fewest stairs'?

I see the message you got - it appears the function is not in service at this time (Routefinder on ratp.fr)
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 01:54 PM

Valerie,

I'm glad you'll be staying at the Abbaye, my favorite Paris hotel. I hope you like it as much as we do.

As for the transportation issue, I would do almost anything to avoid the Chatelet station, which is huge and has you walking what seems like miles underground through crowds to make connections (Montparnasse is as bad, by the way). And on Saturday, it will be totally jammed with shoppers and kids out of school.

If you feel you really want to use the RER, I would suggest going on to St-Michel instead and then taking the Metro line 4 (direction Porte d'Orleans) to St-Sulpice.

Coming out of the metro on rue de Rennes, go south (towards Tour de Montparnasse, which you'll be able to see, unfortunately) about 1/2 block to rue Cassette, which goes off at an angle to the southeast. Go one block and there you are. If your room's not ready, they'll be happy to give you breakfast on the terrace while you wait.

Now that I've answered the question you asked, here's my advice: take a cab. It's Saturday morning so it shouldn't take too long or cost too much and it's a lot easier and more comfortable.
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 02:59 PM

The St-Michel station's no piece of cake, either.
Personally, I just can't deal with the RER after all night on a plane, and I know my way around Paris very well. I get sweaty just contemplating it.
Be nice to yourself at the start of your trip and take a cab.
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 05:06 PM

valerie, I am a New Yorker too and always take public transport. To me, the RER to St. Michel is better because there are less stops on the Metro than if you change at Gare du Nord. However, I do not remember how much walking there is between the RER and Metro at either station.
Mara
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 08:30 PM

We're 60 somethings and don't find the Metro a problem at all. Ira is right. Take the RER to St. Michel and switch to #4 direction Porte D'Orleans.

There is no problem here. You won't be any more jet lagged than we usually are. Do what you are used to and enjoy your trip.
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for your responses. We will most likely just see how we feel when we get there and either take the train (switching at St. Michel) or just hop in a cab.

By the way, Shellio, I stayed at L'Abbaye in 1996 (before I knew my husband), and it is, indeed, a great place. I have been wanting to go back for 8 years!

Thanks again!
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 11:53 AM

Valerie,

Allow me to disagree with the other posters on this thread - I would definitely change at Les Halles, rather than St. Michel. It's a pretty short walk and there are escalators, a rarity in Paris metro stations. I have tried both St. Michel and Les Halles and there is really no comparison IMO.

I should add that this is the ONLY RER-metro connection I would recommend at the Chatelet-Les Halles maze, all other metro lines stop at Chatelet, which feels like it's miles away from the RER stop in Les Halles, while line 4 actually stops at both Chatelet and Les Halles.

Still, I would recommend a cab if you have suitcases - given your hotel choice, I think you can swing it ;-)

Hope this helps,
Andre