Amsterdam Hotel Info.-Related Inquiry

Jun 22nd, 2004, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Amsterdam Hotel Info.-Related Inquiry

We are planning an October holiday to Amsterdam, first one. We are seeking a hotel in the $150/200 range near the Leidseplein, near Vondelpark, or the Jordaan. We wish to be reasonably near the Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh Museum.

Also, what would be involved to make a side trip to Delft?

Personal experience--Thanks!
Jun 22nd, 2004, 06:11 AM

Powell -

If you do a search in the "search this forum" box, located at the top of the page, of Amsterdam hotel and Delft you will come up with loads of information on both these subjects.

Delft (and den Hague) is easily done as a day trip. Check out some of the other threads for info on how to get there and what to see.

Enjoy the Netherlands....Peace.

Robyn
Jun 22nd, 2004, 06:13 AM

It'd be very easy to get to Delft from Amsterdam. I did this the other way, starting in Den Haag (Tram #1 goes to Delft, and there's a train), and then from Delft to Amsterdam.

It's worth seeing -- I was there for an hour or two. I can't compare the merits of Delft with Leiden or Haarlem as I've not been to the other two (but these are also possible side trips). Den Haag is also quite excellent since this is where the Mauritshuis is located. This boasts three Vermeer paintings, of which "The Girl with the Pearl Earring" is one (recall the movie). But the jewel is "View of Delft," one of Vermeer's rare paintings of an exterior view.
Jun 22nd, 2004, 06:13 AM

Easy to get to Centraal Station and from there by rail to Delft. Frequent rail service with no changes involved.
Jun 22nd, 2004, 06:19 AM

Powell, check out www.fita.nl Small hotel in your price range in a great location. Friendly staff, comfortable rooms, easy walk to everywhere you want to go. (except Delft!)
Jun 22nd, 2004, 07:34 AM

A couple of years ago we stayed at AMS Hotel Terdam between Leidseplein and Vondelpark. It was a comfortable room (2 beds) and nice bath, good breakfast, quiet street. It is located behind the Marriott, which might be another good choice.

The Terdam is marketed by both Best Western and Ramada. (but looks nothing like a 'chain' hotel).

http://www.worldexecutive.com/direct...els/92650.html

http://hotel.bookings.org/terdam.nl.en.html
Jun 22nd, 2004, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Grasshopper,

Thanks. I looked at Fita's website. Hotel appears excellent.

Two things: Is it quiet?--we stayed at the Harcourt in Dublin and it was raucous now that non-smoking rules are in.
Is there chance of getting a good view from the Fita?

Thanks again for the nifty suggestion. It appears to meet our needs.

Anthony
Jun 22nd, 2004, 07:43 AM

Anthony, The Fita is on a quiet residential street a block away from the Van Gogh museum (and tram stop). The only possible noise is a school across the street. You hear kids in the morning, but not overly loud. The windows look out on the neighborhood. Another great thing about the Fita is the included breakfast. I hope you enjoy. I've stayed there repeatedly and have been very happy.
Jun 22nd, 2004, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Grasshopper,
Great advice. We never mind the sound of children. It is the 18/22 year-old loud beer-swilling youth that can be a pain. If we go we will certainly try Fita.

Could you give a guess on what a good r/t fare from JFK to Amsterdam might be in October?

If I can ever help you with France, Ireland info do not hesitate to ask.

Anthony
Jun 22nd, 2004, 10:23 AM

Hi Powell, if you're willing to fly from Newark, Singapore Airlines occasionally has deals to AMS posted on its website. I've not flown them on this route, but as you may know, they're consistently ranked as one of the best airlines in the world. Their sale fares were quite competitive when I checked a few weeks ago -- the problem I had with them was that the flight times were not very convenient (a return from AMS at 10 in the morning, if I recall).
Jun 22nd, 2004, 10:24 AM

Actually, now that I think about it, maybe Singapore Airlines flies from JFK. But the website will have the accurate info.
Jun 24th, 2004, 06:58 AM

Anthony, Were you able to get a reservation at Hotel Fita? Don't wait too long. They book up fast. Have you check tripadvisor.com? They got great reviews on there.

You're going to love Amsterdam. Take the time to stroll along the canals. A canal boat tour (or two) are great ways to soak up atmosphere and get some interesting information. The Anne Frank House is a must see. (A testimony to the human spirit) The Rijksmuseum is only partly open but the building itself is fabulous. If you get away from the Centraal Station and Dam Square area and probe the real Amsterdam you will see a beauty that is unbeatable.
Jun 24th, 2004, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Grasshopper. We have to get our airline tickets first, figure what days etc. Probably going in Oct/Nov.

We are just back from Dublin, Provence and Paris. Found great restaurant in the Marais called "Le Pamphlet". I understand that it was favorably mentioned in Michelin. We ate there two of the three nights we were in Paris.

If you wish give me your e-mail address and I will send my Dublin travel journal that is hot off the press.

Thanks again for your help.
Jun 24th, 2004, 08:29 AM

Thanks! I'm taking my neice to Paris next month. I'll try Le Pamphlet.

You can email me at [email protected]
Jun 28th, 2004, 08:45 AM

Re flights JFK->AMS. We were looking at a flight in August, and the lowest fare we could get was about $800. I put in a $500 bid on Priceline, and got it--on Delta. I don't know what the fares will be for October, but you might want to check out some of the major booking engines and then try Priceline.
Jun 28th, 2004, 09:06 AM

We liked the Bilderberg hotel Jan Luyken. It's minutes away from the Van Gogh and Rijksmuseums, very short walk to Leidseplein. Think their website is www.bilderberg.nl; they usually have some special offers going. You should easily get a room there for less than 200.
Jun 28th, 2004, 02:53 PM

Powell,
The Ambassadé is within your cost envelope. It is a conglomeration of old canal houses made into a hotel on the Herengracht. Unique.
Jun 28th, 2004, 03:09 PM

Before booking, at least look into The Canal House (www.canalhouse.nl), on the Keizersgracht. We stayed there a few years ago and it was nothing short of terrific. Rated #9 of 310 hotels on Trip Advisor site (www.tripadvisor.com).
Jun 28th, 2004, 05:05 PM

Ah! The Canal House! Now you've gone and done it and made me all dewy with nostalgia. I absolutely loved the Camal House. I hope Imelda is stillthere! (Cat with boots of four different colors - figure it out!).

See if this link to some pics of the hotel and Amsterdam scenes in the area on dotphoto.com work: http://www.dotphoto.com/GuestViewAlbum.asp?AID=1062311
Jun 28th, 2004, 05:22 PM

If nothing else but persistent, try this link to see some images of the Canal House: http://www.dotphoto.com/GuestViewIma...1&IID=32556784

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO