Catching the train - best stop off from Tirano to St Moritz

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 04:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi we are mid 50s and planning to do a day trip in May by train from Varenna to Tirano and then take the regular train up to possibly St Moritz (the train would arrive there 11.22) and catch the Bernina Express (dep 14.45 from St Moritz) back in the afternoon to Tirano.

We really only have about 3 hours in between trains. Should we go all the way to St Moritz or would we be better to stop off along the way. I've heard Pontresina or Bernina Diavolezza are good options.

Thanks for any advice.
Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 12:32 PM

Why would you take a train the same route back? Hop on a bus St. Moritz - Chiavenna instead and catch a train there back to Varenna (another change somewhere I think). Very different scenery.
Old Apr 24th, 2011, 04:37 AM
Original Poster

Hi Ingo. Our train connection from Varenna doesn't reach Tirano until 8.50am, which is the same time the morning Bernina Express leaves Tirano so unfortunately we would miss it. The alternative is to get a regular train up and get the BE coming down and this would also give us about 3 hours to look around either in St Moritz or somewhere else along the route.

Can you give me more details about the bus option though? What time would it leave? How do we go about booking it? Do you have a website?
Old Apr 24th, 2011, 09:19 AM

When exactly are you travelling? I just checked the schedules for 26 April on www.sbb.ch (or www.rail.ch) and found that your connection from Varenna (dep 6.38 am) with a change in Sondrio arrives Tirano at 8.39 am - enough time to catch the Bernina Express dep. 8.50 am. Same for 2 June. It's terribly early, though, granted.

Anyway, nothing wrong with taking a regional train instead of the Express train - actually, I prefer the regional trains as you can open the windows for better photos. The scenery is the same anyway.

Also, nothing wrong with taking the later train from Varenna. The train dep. 7.24 am arrives in Tirano 8.50 am as you noted (no change). You would have 50 minutes time in Tirano to grab a snack and coffee and for some walking around until the next regional train leaves.

The bus would run a totally different route, the scenery is also spectacular. You can check schedules on www.sbb.ch
Buses leave from St. Moritz train station 1.08 and 3.08 pm, arriving in Chiavenna 2.51 and 5.01 pm. You'd have about 1.30 h time in Chiavenna (first option) or about an hour (second option). Enough time to check out the old town which is typical Italian (read: in need of restoration) with a nice small convent/church and the geological park, cafes etc.

You'd be back in Varenna 6.05 or 7.05 pm. No reservations needed in advance, buy your tickets from the bus driver/at the train station in Chiavenna.
Old Apr 24th, 2011, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

Hi again and thanks so much for all your information. The tentative dates would be between 9-11 May depending on the weather. We are staying in Bellagio so have to allow for the ferry crossing to Varenna.

I had heard about the PostBus also but didn't realise you could go through the www.sbb.ch website for buses. I thought it was just for trains. That's great advice thanks!

Is the PostBus a different set up to what is on www.sbb.ch? I have to admit I am a bit confused with transport options in Europe.

I checked the ferry timetable and we won't have a problem getting from Varenna to Bellagio at 6.05 or 7.05pm.

I am wondering whether we could reverse the trip also. That way we could get the BE back. So much to think about.
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 02:01 AM

Hi again,

in Switzerland bus, train, ferry companies etc. co-operate in the "Association of Public Transport" (VÖV). The website www.sbb.ch (www.rail.ch is just their English version) covers all of them. It's really a network.

Of course you could reverse the trip. Looks like you could start the day a bit later then

I.
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 03:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again. I have been busy on the www.sbb.ch website working out the times for the different options and found a map on the website which is helpful working out where everything is. Hopefully the weather will be kind to us!
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

Ingo we did the trip and it was fantastic. Left Bellagio by the car ferry around 6.20am, then the train from Varenna to Tirano at 7.24am. Caught the regional train at 9.40am from Tirano to St Moritz and then the bus back to Chiavenna which left St Moritz at 3.08pm. Then train from Chiavenna to Varenna with a change at Colico. We had amazing weather and thumbs up to the regional train as my husband especially loves photography so being able to pull the windows down was a huge advantage over the Bernina Express. Also we were very impressed with the standard of the regional train. It was so much nicer than the Italian trains (sorry Italy).

The bus back gave us a different route as you pointed out and we congratulated the driver when we arrived in Chiavenna. The way he negotiated all those hairpin turns was very impressive. Going through the little towns, picking up schoolkids along the way and more spectacular scenery all contributed to a very unforgettable day. Got back to Bellagio around 7.30pm tired but happy.

Thank you once again.
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 09:13 AM

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like a fantastic day - how good the weather co-operated! LOL, these hairpin turns are something, eh? Have driven that route a couple of times myself and it is quite much fun.
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 10:02 AM

No there is no reason IMO on such a rushed journey to go to St Moritz - unless you want to return by the Majola Pass - the gorgeous Majola Pass bus route Ingo mentions - but otherwise at the summit station of Bernina Ospiz and Alp Grum - stations near the summit is the top of the world Alpine wonderland of glaciers stretching to an Alpine lake - get off at one station and walk to the other, you can trek around the lake to the glacier, etc. You will find a description of this absolute highlight of the Bernina Pass railway at www.budgeteuropetravel.com's European Planning & Rail Guide and also at www.ricksteves.com. If doing the bus Ingo mentions be sure to check schedules so you can actually return to your base in time - trains at least run regularly hourly so no problem there - check the Swiss postal bus web site.
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 10:15 AM

Pal, the poster is already back from the trip

Old Jun 26th, 2011, 10:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Pal we hope to go back maybe next year so will keep your tips in mind.
Old Jun 27th, 2011, 08:08 AM

Ingo - I have to remind myself to look at the top of a thread - thanks for telling me!
Old Sep 22nd, 2015, 10:57 AM

Ok everyone. I need a really quick response. We are in Varenna, and my husband wants to take this trip by train to St. Moritz, followed by the bus ride. I have a problem with motion sickness and usually do not do well on very curvy mountain roads. How bad is that bus ride?? Is the majority of the route "hairpin turns". Help!
Old Sep 22nd, 2015, 12:16 PM

which bus - Bernina Express bus to Menaggio and Lugano or the Moloja Pass bus to the same places - first one leaves from Tirano so would not be the one I guess and is very mild - the Majola Pass bus IME does spiral through many hairpin turns coming out of St Moritz down to Lake Como - so for that one yes.
Old Sep 22nd, 2015, 01:44 PM

https://www.google.com/search?q=malo...=1600&bih=1099

From the pix of the Maloja Pass bus you can see lots of hairpin turns and switchbacks! Bring dramamine if going!
Old Sep 22nd, 2015, 03:09 PM

Maloja is actually one of the easier passes to drive on Alps; there are hairpins only on the south side, and relatively few of them. At times the road is narrow, especially when crossing villages.

The Bregaglia valley between Maloja and Chiavenna is one of the few Alpine valleys Italian in language but Protestant in religion; this is where Italian language Protestants fled from Catholic persecutions. It is difficult to imagine it now, but Soglio, now the tiniest of tiny villages, was once busy with presses printing Bibles and Choral books.
Old Sep 22nd, 2015, 09:16 PM

The bus from St. Moritz to Chiavenna! My husband really wants to go, he hates missing out on anything. Just tell me if you can, what percentage of that ride would be those crazy turns.
Old Jul 20th, 2017, 05:11 AM

This is very helpful, thank you. We'll be in Bellagio early Oct. and looking around for a day trip within the surrounding area and just happened to read about the Bernina Express today. Horizon56 was everything on time? Need to come back to Bellagio that night for our trip back to the USA the next day (late morning).
Old Jul 20th, 2017, 06:16 AM

Again you need not take the official Bernina Express but local trains that you do not need to reserve but just show up and cop ticket and hop on - in that way if foul weather not locked in -same scenery of course.