Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Casual dinner in Paris...do I need to make advance reservations?

Sep 30th, 2002, 06:12 AM
bb

I'm heading to Paris for the first time in a few days and while I'm definately not a passionate foodie, I do enjoy a nice meal at the end of my days of touring. I'm a middle-aged woman traveling alone and am accustomed from my trips to Italy, Spain and Greece to just popping into a casual restaurant that looks nice. Will I be able to do the same in Paris?

Sep 30th, 2002, 06:17 AM
Ira

Yes, you will. Keep in mind that restaurants do have rush hours.
Your hotel can also give you advice.

Have fun.

Sep 30th, 2002, 06:56 AM
bb

Ira, Thanks for your quick response...but I'm confused. If you have a moment, do you mean yes I will be able to pop into a casual bistro without a reservation...not during their rush hour or yes, I will need to make reservations?

Sep 30th, 2002, 07:16 AM
francesca

The earlies any restaurant or bistro will serve dinner will be 7.30 pm. At that time, you will most likely be dining with other Americans since most people in France tend to eat later, more like 8.30 or 9. So, unless it is a wildly popular place, you won't have trouble just dropping in. Brasseries and cafes tend to serve "sans interruption"--all day and late into the night. You could probably therefore eat dinner earlier and also not need a reservation. If you want to go to a popular place between 8 and 10, you will need a reservation .Have fun!

Sep 30th, 2002, 07:22 AM
ira

Francesca said it better than I.

Sep 30th, 2002, 07:28 AM
Beth

My daughter and I ate every night without reservations. We did eat a bit early for Paris because a few nights we had concert tickets for 8:30 p.m. We had no problems. Our choices ranged from Indian, French bistros and Italian. If you see something earlier in the day, just pop in and make a reservation for that night if you are uncomfortable with winging it.

Sep 30th, 2002, 07:45 AM
bb

You all are so great to reply so quickly! I appreciate your advice. Three days until I leave!

Sep 30th, 2002, 08:44 AM
Gretchen

What Beth said--if you see a nice place during the day--or go to a recommended place during the day--just pop in and make a reservation. Also your hotel can call and make a reservation for you for some of the places that folks on here recommend. It is worth it--there is no excuse for having a bad meal in Paris!!