Search

Carte Orange

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carte Orange

Is this in use in Paris any more? If so, what are the requirements and pros and cons?
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 05:41 PM

TTT
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 06:01 PM

Yes.

Requirements: €16 for a 2-zone. A 1x1" photo for the ID card (digital OK).

Pros: very cheap transport on RATP buses, Métro, trams, and trains, plus SNCF trains within the designated zones.

Cons: cards always start on Monday and run through Sunday. Can't be bought on Thursday.
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 06:08 PM

In November, I just opted to get a 5-day visite pass and then fill-in with day passes as needed beyond the 5 days because...

1) the Carte Orange runs from the beginning of the week, so to get full use of it your days would have to coincide just right, starting on a Monday thru Sunday, I believe
2) also, you need to carry a passport type photo with your ticket in a little pouch...and yes, they really do check. Pretty much everytime I've been in Paris, in some metro station or another there have been officials checking for tickets and if you're carrying the carte orange, they will want to see the photo as well. If you decide to go with this option, you can bring an extra passport photo with you - or there are photo booths in many of the metro stations.

You may also want to factor in whether you will want to travel outside of the central city zones and organize your trip so that you divide up your metro pass purchases so that you do all your expensive zone travelling on successive days, for example a 5-day pass in the center (zones 1 & 2) and 2-day pass beyond those zones.
http://www.ratp.info/informer/anglais/index.php
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 06:21 PM

<i>Paris Visite</i> is rarely cheaper than <i>Carte Orange</i>. It doesn't matter how many days you're in town, or what day of the week you arrive. The formula is this:

If you will use the M&eacute;tro/RER network or get on a bus fewer than 5 times in a day, then use <i>Tickets 't'</i> bought in <i>carnets</i> of 10 for &euro;10,90 each.

If more than 5 times, buy a <i>Mobilis</i> each day that a <i>Carte Orange</i> won't work - for example, if you arrive on a Thursday through Sunday.

The only reasonable situation for a <i>Paris Visite</i> I know of is if you're spending a one-day layover from CDG.
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 07:10 AM

I love the C.O. so much that I plan our visits to coincide with the 'right' days of the week! I will be devastated if/when RATP removes this bargain pass from my clutches.
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 06:52 PM

Travelnut,
Me too! I thought I was the only &quot;nut&quot; who did that. Even though I always walk so much in Paris that the C.O. end up costing about the same or even a couple dollars more than the carnets, it's just so much more convenient than fumbling with a bunch of loose tickets trying to figure out which is used or not. And it makes one feel more like a local...
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 11:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone, for you expert opinions. I appreciate your willingness to share your wealth of experience!
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 06:03 AM

Leburta,
If you're getting a Carte Orange for the first time, I suggest using the vending machine instead of buying at the counter, because some of the crankier RATP employees refuse to sell them to tourists. One station agent (at the Ecole Militaire Metro) claimed that the C.O. was meant for &quot;people who live and work in Paris&quot; and insisted that we could only buy the more expensive Visite card.

Buy the little ticket from the vending machine (the 1-week C.O. is called the &quot;Hebdomedaire&quot and then go to to counter to ask for the self-laminating orange card and the little plastic carrier (which has multiple pockets to hold the card and the little ticket, and is also handy for your museum passes, extra carnet tickets, etc.) Only the little ticket expires-- keep the same photo ID card for all your future trips.
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 06:15 AM

Print out this page from parisinfo.com in English and show it to the &quot;cranky&quot; RATP worker. If s/he still refuses to do his/her job, find another agent. An uncooperative clerk is no more likely to issue an ID card than a ticket.

http://en.parisinfo.com/paris_map/ru...article%3d6771

(Footnote to my post above: if you're going to use public transportation more than 15 times during a calendar week [Mo-Su] then a <i>Carte Orange</i> is the most economical choice.)
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 06:21 AM

I'm arriving on a Wednesday from Provence (bad planning) and leaving 2 weeks later on a Wednesday (more bad planning), so I'm torn.

It's hard to know how much you are going to use the CO (if you aren't getting the full week from it), although since I am staying in Quartier Batignolles, I am probably going to use it quite a bit....

I will probably end up buying one for the first partial week I'm there (Wednesday-Sunday), one, of course, for the full week, and just pay as I go on the final 2 full days...

Sound like a good plan?
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 06:34 AM

MlleFifi's plan might work, as long as you really know what you are doing buying things from the machine (other posts on here from people complaining about how they couldn't use them or figure them out and then the metro clerk didn't help them out enough so they bought the wrong thing). Also, you absolutely MUST understand that you cannot buy a CO ticket from that machine and use it without the carte orange itself, which is the ID card to which you attach a photo. SO then you are going to have to explain to the ticket clerk about needing the card and why you don't have one since you've bought a replacement ticket, etc. Maybe that will all work, but if the clerk is cranky, they might get cranky at that point, also, if you don't speak French and can't explain what you want or why.

I have asked metro clerks for just the card only at times, mainly because I just wanted an extra one in case, and to have an example. I just asked them (in good French) if I could have a blank Carte Orange because I thought I'd lost mine, although maybe I'd left it at home in my apartment. They had no problem with that request.

I've heard of clerks refusing to sell it to tourists, also, of course. A clerk saying it was &quot;meant&quot; (is that literally the word that was used, in English?) for Parisian residents is probably true in the sense that was the goal for it -- to provide a pass for workers -- but that is different than saying a regulation restricts sale to only Parisian residents and no one else can buy one. The English word &quot;meant&quot; can be translated different ways to French, and the nuances would be different as to what those French phrases really mean. Actually, I don't think I've heard many French people commonly using the English word &quot;meant&quot; unless they speak fluent English, as it isn't a direct translation, especially in that sense which is rather idiomatic in English. Even in English, saying something is meant for someone isn't the same as saying it is illegal for someone else, or no one else should have it or can't buy it, etc.

Old Feb 24th, 2007, 06:43 AM

PS Can COs be bought on Wednesdays?
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 06:50 AM

A carte Orange hebdomadaire can't be purchased on wednesdays. It would be more expensive for the rest of the week than Mobilis (day) passes.
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 06:51 AM

yes, that's the last day for that week's pass.
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 06:57 AM

There are no sales on Thursdays - Wednesday is okay. Again: if you're going to use public transport (one M&eacute;tro/RER ride or one bus stage) 15 or more times Wednesday through Sunday, then <i>Carte Orange</i> is the way to go.
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 06:58 AM

We have always purchased our Carte Orange at the D'Orsay RER station and had no problems. I always type up my request in French and hand it to the clerk after greeting them with a &quot;Bonjour!&quot; Typing up my request makes things go much more smoothly
Now, this year, we'll be so close to the Invalides RER station that we plan to purchase our passes there. Anyone have problems purchasing a pass there?
Sandy
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 07:03 AM

I was in Paris during the third week of January of this year, and bought our COs at Gare du Nord, on a Sunday. We used it from Monday through Friday, and it was worth everything single &quot;centime&quot; we paid!
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 07:08 AM

Ooops ,i mistranslated (tought wednesday = jeudi instead of mercredi) - a carte hebdomadaire can be purchased on wednesday.
Well, for now, as a tourist the loophole allowing to buy this workers' pass is still open (at least in large stations, the smaller ones sometimes don't have the ID part available any more.
The cardboard ID will be completely discontinued at the end of this year (or sooner) - replaced by the navigo pass - the weekly coupons will still be available to those having an old ID part for a while.
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 07:13 AM

Brazilnut, we are also arriving on a Sunday into Gare du Nord. So you can buy the CO for the rest of the week? I was wondering if we would have to wait until Monday to purchase them, and just fill in with single tickets on Sunday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -