Carte Orange

Apr 5th, 2005, 10:40 PM
Original Poster

Carte Orange

we are staying in Zone 5 in PAris near Bussy St George but will be sight seeing mainly zones 1-2. 3 full days plus trip from hotel in zone 5 to Gare du Nord.

Is it better to buy Carte orange for zone 1-5 or buy Carte Orange zone 1-2 and add supplements? We will be going from hotel to town and back 3x plus the final day into town for a total of 7 supplements. We also will be going return trip to Versaille.

What is a better buy? Also what should I buy for my 10 year old?
Apr 6th, 2005, 06:12 AM

Carte Orange
Zone 1-2: 15.40€
Zone 1-5: 30.20€

Ticket Jeune: (day pass)
Zone 1-3: 3.20€
Zone 1-5: 6.40€
Individual carnet (zones 1-2): 5.20€

www.ratp.fr

I don't know how much the supplements for your travel would be, but I'm going to guess that the total for C.O. 1-2 + the supplements might fall slightly under the cost of a C.O. 1-5
HOWEVER I think the simplicity of just getting the pass outweighs any slight cost difference. There isn't a discounted C.O. for youths, as far as I can tell.

You can buy the C.O. upon arrival if you are arriving on Monday-Wednesday of the week you want to use it. If you are arriving Thursday- Sunday, you will not be able to buy and use the pass for those same days.

Any particular reason you are staying at Bussy?... Disney? Golf?
Apr 6th, 2005, 10:55 AM

I wouldn't know if those supplements would be more or less, but the difference has to be minimal -- I'd just buy the 5 zone pass for convenience instead of fooling around with supplements, given how much you are going to be using it.

YOu might consider the youth Paris Visite pass for your child. These are not as good a deal for adults, but there is no child discount on Carte Orange, so it could work. A youth Paris Visite for zones 1-5 is 18.25 euro for 3 days.

This would go well if you got the Carte Orange, so you'd never have to be fooling around with supplements or extra tickets. Also, you don't need a photo for the Paris Visite, and it's good for any day of the week start date (which brings up the question as to what day you intend to first use one).
Apr 6th, 2005, 08:23 PM
Original Poster

Travelnut,
I see your post about a ticket Jeune. I will only be useing 3 days it seems like it is a better buy. What is it?
thanks
Apr 7th, 2005, 07:00 AM

No, that's only for children up to age 10 (jeune means young or youth...)
Apr 7th, 2005, 07:15 AM

No question about it: with 3 trips to Paris and 1 to Versailles, the Carte Orange is your best bet - but only if your schedule fits its provisions. The CO is valid for a calendar week (Monday through Sunday) and can be bought up to Wednesday for the current week. They are not sold on Thursday. If your itinerary doesn't match, there are other options.

The Ticket Jeunes is a one-day pass for people under 26, and it is only valid on a Saturday, Sunday, or holiday.

The recommended ticket for your 10yo is the Paris Visite (Enfant) for €18.25 plus a single ticket for the ride to the train.
Apr 7th, 2005, 08:18 AM

Thanks, Robespierre... I didn't go back to check on the age, but I know I saw "10 ans" somewhere!
Apr 7th, 2005, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

I've got it now thanks for your help!!
Apr 7th, 2005, 10:21 AM

I think the reduced carnets at children's fare are for up to age ten, but the children's Paris Visite is for up to age 12.
Apr 7th, 2005, 10:35 AM

Uh, no. Enfants (De 4 à 11 ans)

http://www.ratp.info/informer/tarif_tourisme.php#parisvisite
Apr 8th, 2005, 01:59 PM

A poster on Tripadvisor has 13 metro tickets for children to sell...
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...de_France.html
Sep 25th, 2005, 06:51 AM

Hello.

I have a query in regards to the Metro passes. Specifically I am interested to learn more about the jeune u26 pass for weekends and holidays.

I will be travelling to Paris with a team - 8 teenagers and 3 adults.

We arrive on Monday Dec 26th and depart on Sun Jan 1st. So from the point of view of the CO the dates work out well.

We need get to and from the CDG airport - to 19th Arr - zone 2. After that we will only travel in zone 1/2 (unless we go to disney).

Does the Mon 26th classify as a holiday, plus the weekend for the jeune ticket - anyone have any idea on price. Wondering if it was cheaper to use the jeune pass and the book of ten tickets during the week.

Also I was reading somewhere the one of the passes was limited to 12 trips and 2 per day - is this the CO or another card.

If we get the CO - do the children have to go up to the counter and order the card - or do you think that I will be able to arrange for 11 CO cards. I am aware of the 1 inch photo requirement.

Agree with the comments about walking around to see the sights, and in fact on my one and only trip to Paris we walked everywhere and as a result i have never used the metro. However this time it will be winter - so I think access to public transport will be important.

thanks in advance

Oz
Sep 25th, 2005, 12:32 PM

Only you can decide whether the Ticket Jeunes will save you money or not (AFAIK, 12/26 is not a holiday), because only you know how much transport you will need. The complete story on the TJ is found at http://www.ratp.info/informer/tarif_juniors.php#ticket_jeune

The 12-trip ticket is called Carte Hebdomadaire ("Weekly Card") and is available only to working people in France.
Sep 25th, 2005, 07:00 PM

Hi

Thanks for clearing that up.

Oz