Carry-on luggage question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to get by with going on my 2-week trip to Spain with one carry-on piece of luggage. NWA's luggage restriction states that it cannot exceed 45 inches. I've measured my bag and the bag itself just makes the requirement, but there are two hard plastic pieces which protrude off the bottom for when standing the bag on end which add an additional 2 inches to the length. Does anyone know how strict NW is about the carry-on policy? I would hate to get to the gate and have them tell me I have to check my bag which will contain all my "can't live without" items including my camera and important documentation. I've called the airline and they pretty much regurgitated what was stated on the website. Can anyone add their personal experience? Thanks.
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 07:03 AM

Sorry the NWA employee you talked to wasn't more helpful. While it puts all the burden on you rather than on the airline, if you don't live too far from the airport you could take the bag to the counter before your trip and see if it fits in the "test" carry-on bin. If it does, fine. If it doesn't, ask the person at the counter to tell you if it will be accepted as carry-on luggage or not.
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 07:10 AM

I think it will depend on the person checking you in on any given day.<BR><BR>Have a Plan B: segregate &quot;necessities&quot; and have a tote bag handy to move them to.
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 07:14 AM
MGB

A couple things to consider. <BR>1. In the last 2 trips to Europe NWA did not measure our carry ons, so you may or may not encounter a problem.<BR>2. They also have a weight restriction for carryon. On a trip home from Amsterdam, an NWA reservation was actually on a KLM flight. They weighed everything except my purse. This was a tremendous problem. The weight limit which I cannot remember was extremely low. Wheeled luggage weighs a decent amount empty. If we did not meet the limit, you could not pay extra, you had to check it.<BR>Also, once we got through the weighing process later near the gate, they had someone lifting each carryon piece to make sure you did not add things later.<BR>3. Did you measure your bag empty or full? I know with mine, when &quot;packed&quot; it seems to mystically get slightly bigger.<BR>4. What is the brand? You may be able to go to the location you bought it or the manufacturer's web site to see if they provide any information regarding the acceptance of your particular bag as a carry-on.<BR><BR>I know I am struggling now if a small tote could be considered a &quot;computer&quot; case for purposes of the personal item.<BR><BR>As a last resort, you may want to take a very large bag for personal cannot do without items that you claim as a large purse for your &quot;personal item&quot;. Then if they require the bigger one to be checked you will have these items secured. Good luck!
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, but not to belabor the point, from what I could ascertain on the website, a purse would not be allowed as an additional &quot;personal&quot; item. I guess I will try calling the airline again and coax them for a more precise answer although that guarantees me nothing at the gate. Also, I have not weighed my bag after packing, so that may squash my carry-on idea anyway if it is over the weight limit. The reason I'm so concerned is that we will have two connections en-route with just barely an hour for each and I'm worried about the luggage not making each flight.
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 08:13 AM

You *are* allowed to take a purse in addition to one carry-on piece of luggage. From NWA's Web site regarding carry-on luggage on international flights: &quot;Northwest will accept one carry-on item, with a maximum outside linear dimension of 45 inches (115 cm) and not more 40 lbs (18kgs). This piece must be of a size and shape to fit under the seat in front of the passenger, or in an enclosed overhead compartment. In addition to the one piece of carry-on luggage, customers may also carry a purse or briefcase or laptop computer. Luggage not meeting these specifications must be transported as checked luggage.&quot; Put your &quot;essentials&quot; in your purse (or a daypack or bag if you don't take a purse). If you are required to check your carry-on luggage for some reason and it is delayed because of short transfer times, you'll be able to &quot;made do&quot; until it catches up with you.
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 11:56 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Angela, I don't count on being able to carry-on any more. Although I pack a 22&quot; rolling bag, they (this was BA) get me on the weight these days &amp; make me check it. Trying to carry-on only also it means you can't take your nail file or clippers, swiss army knife, corkscrew, etc.

I've just given into the concept and pack knowing it will be checked luggage. AND I take a goodsize tote with anything irreplaceable and pocketbook (that can be stuffed into the tote if need be to make one bag only on the plane).

Believe me, I was a carry-on die-hard for 20 years, but in the past few I have changed my ways. It just ain't worth the trouble lately (IMHO)!
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 12:00 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
BA put a special 'expedited transfer' red tag (or something like that) on my checked bag when there was a short flight transfer time.

But I would pack my carry-on to be able to hold me over for a day or two, just in case.