Search

Carry On Hassles from Ryanair?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2004, 06:35 AM
LJ
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carry On Hassles from Ryanair?

I am about to travel Ryanair again and have had not carry-on baggage problems in the past, despite their very stict rules re: "one bag, under 7 kilo" policy. But this time we are going to be quite a bit over in weight (though not size) due to a piece of statuary we bought. Any recent experience?
Old Jun 20th, 2004, 08:37 AM
rex

You say "we" - - how many of you are there? And how heavy is the statuary?

I can report the experience of our family of five, flying from Graz to Stansted. One was under the limit, one had none, and the the aggregate of the other three plus the one under-limit still put us over 35 kilos (but only by one or two, I think). And I think we were perhaps a little bit over on our checked bags as well (but I have forgotten the details on that). Anyway, we were not charged.

But I don't know if the experience would have been diffeent if we wee flying FROM Stansted. It seems like the little "satellite" airports are quite a bit more casual in everything. We were there early, and before check-in actually started (I think it was about 75 minutes before departure), the counter agent did allow us to use the scales as we were weighing and shifting some contents from one nag to another - - making it look like we were "trying" to comply (we were, actually). I don't think we would have been accommodated that way at Stansted - - too busy.

So, maybe combining your carry-on allowances as a "we" will work in your favor. But anyhow, the excess charge is still way heaper than crating and shipping, no?

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jun 20th, 2004, 09:22 AM

It depends on the check-in clerk. I've never had my hand luggage weighed on Ryanair, but I have a friend who wasn't allowed to be half a kilo over.
Old Jun 20th, 2004, 09:25 AM

Sorry to double-post but I just thought of a more helpful comment - when I needed to take my violin on a budget flight I phoned the airline and bought a seat for it, then there was no weight limit applicable. Given how cheap Ryanair seats can be, it might be worth doing this rather than worrying about whether you'll be allowed to take it as carry-on.
Old Jun 20th, 2004, 12:13 PM
LJ
Original Poster

Thanks to Papagena (a Mozart fan?) and to (Reliable) Rex...I think that your suggestions will help a lot...we are flying out of Pescara and it does make a difference versus Stansted now I come to think of it, I noticed this before. "We" are two and though the policy does not allow weight splitting, I take your point about the appearance of compliance.Thanks-wish us luck: this piece of art is so worth the problems, even if we do end up buying another seat!
Old Jun 21st, 2004, 08:54 PM

In May, a woman checking in ahead of us at Rodez had a bag that was not particularly large but was too heavy and she had to check it. Not sure why they weighed it as was much smaller than either of ours and ours were not weighed. Have seen this several times at Stansted and since you will not want to check your art, the extra seat might be the way to go.
Old Jun 21st, 2004, 09:50 PM

I would check to make sure that Ryanair actually allows buying a seat for art. I don't see why they would care, but it's not a flexible, customer-friendly airline, so best to know in advance how/if to do it.
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 03:51 AM
LJ
Original Poster

You were all super in coming up with advice so here is the follow up from home. NO probelms whatsoever with weight of carry-ons when loading in Pescara, Italy. Didn't even seem interested in whether we had one or two pieces each or weight of same (and thats where the art was). The check-in baggage was weighed together and as it did not exceed the 15 kilograms allowed each in total, also no problem.

Conclusion: Ryanair's policies are not nearly so strictly applied outside Stansted.Thanks!