weight limits for carry-on luggage

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16th, 2005, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are considering carrying on our luggage on our flights from US to Zambia rather than checking anything. I know that some of you have done this. We will be flying on American, which according to their website, has a 40 pound weight limit for carryons. We will have nowhere near that much, however, British Airways website says their limit is 13 pounds in economy. Does anyone know if they actually weigh it and if this limit is enforced.
Also while I'm asking, what are the weight limits for Zambia in country flights? I have read 22-26 pounds, including carryon and checked.
Thanks for your help.
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 11:25 AM

British Airlines does check weight and follow weight restricted policies. Weight limits are imposed on smaller aircraft. I have experienced is 25 and 33 lb limits. A lot depends on whether the flight on smaller planes are full or not. Our bags were never weighed on smaller flights. What is important their are soft sided luggage.Your travel agency should be able to provide precise information for you.
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 02:12 PM

Yes, they will limit you to the 13 pound carryon allowance. I got checked on a BA flight from Seattle to London and had 22 pounds. I didn't know what I was going to do as my check in luggage had gone through from a previous airport. I was very fortunate in that the agent upgraded me so I was allowed more weight. Don't count on this though.
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 05:05 PM

we flew saa and they didn't weigh the carry-on duffels or backpacks. there was a man at the gate eyeing the bags but we acted like they weighed nothing and walked right on. depending on which airplane you are flying in zambia, the weight allowance varies. we flew a 4 seater cessna, a 20 seat plane and a 12 seat plane. all flights, the duffels (checked) were weighed but never the backpacks which weighed about double the duffels.
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 05:39 PM

overweight small planes crash. carry less and be safe. just my $.02 worth.
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 04:30 AM
sandi

British Air is very strict with their Economy class carry-on weight. It's 13-lbs (not 13-Kg). They do weigh carry-on bags.

And then when you arrive Zambia, the weight limit in the small plans is but 22-lbs.

In actuality, you don't need more clothings then for your longest stay at any one camp. Remember, that you can have laundry done at all camps, price included, or for a small fee.

Old Nov 17th, 2005, 07:56 AM

to clarify-both our duffels and backpacks were less than the weight limit on all the zambia flights, though they only weighed the duffels which for both of us only totaled about 11kg
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your advise. We will be packing light and don't think we will have any problem with the 22 lb. weight limit for in country flights.
Although since we will be in Zambia from mid May to early June, I am concerned about having clothes warm enough for the early morning and evening game drives. We will wear our coats on the plane and not put them in the luggage. We really prefer to carry everything and not have to worry about missing luggage. But with the 13lb limit for British Airways, we probably won't be able to do that. We will probably carry everything from ORD to LHR on American and then have to check our duffels from LHR to LUN on British. I doubt that we would be as fortunate as Louise and be upgraded. That would be great though!
Dennis, We will be on SAA from LUN to LHR on the return trip, so maybe we will try to carry duffels and backpacks on. I'll have t try to make it look as though they don't weigh much!
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 03:48 PM

it was funny, on the way home people with their shopping bags full of souvenirs, 3 foot wooden giraffes poking out the top, and their backpacks or carry on and nobody stopped them. i think it may be like here in Hawaii, if you carry on your souvenirs in a "Hilo Hattie's" bag, you can bring as much as you want. Don't know the exact reasoning but it's what i've seen. and it is amazing how much stuff you can squeeze into 12kg!
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 05:00 PM

I've seen this in other places. The airlines are very strict with the carry-ons unless you show up with a airport shopping bag full of duty free goods. For some strange reason, the gate agents never seem to notice those bags.
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 04:42 AM
sandi

Rarely do the airlines bother passengers with bags full of souvenirs, especially those 3' carved animals. You're leaving money behind in whichever country improving the GNP.

However, I did see one woman (poor thing) get hit with overweight charges for the same 3' giraffe leaving Kenya for the Seychelles and then return SEZ to LHR - by British Air.

We've never been (nor are most) charged excess $$ for carryon souvenirs whether returning from Hawaii, the Caribbean, Europe, Middle East, Asia, Australia or Africa. But there are limits, especially if there is insufficient overhead storage or closets for "stuff."

Your actual bags, however, will be weighed and if overweight, fees are likely to be assessed.