Carnival

Nov 2nd, 2004, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Carnival

Where are the most interesting places in Europe to spend Carnival? Can one get involved other than as a parade watcher? Thanks!
Nov 2nd, 2004, 08:33 AM
ira

Hi,

You might wish to consider Venice.
Nov 2nd, 2004, 08:50 AM

I would definitely say Venice. You can get as involved as you want!
Nov 2nd, 2004, 09:07 AM

Cologne, Germany has big festivities.
Nov 2nd, 2004, 10:13 AM

Isn't Venice the Grandmere of ALL Carnivals?
Nov 2nd, 2004, 05:21 PM

Maastricht will leave you laughing for years.
Nov 2nd, 2004, 05:42 PM

I was in Venice at the launch of Carnevale but not for the climax. It was just crowded enough for my taste and there were already lots of classical concerts as well the more conventional forms of celebration. But an Italian friend warned of the horror of the peak days: tiny streets turned into one-way-only pedestrian gangways with "traffic tickets" issued for going the wrong way; reports of people trampled underfoot etc.

Cannot attest to accuracy of this -- perhaps another poster has first-hand corroboration or its opposite.
Nov 2nd, 2004, 07:12 PM

I have been to Venice for Carnival,an event,yes,a good time NO! The transportation of any form and the amounts of people were a frightening experience. Several times I felt I could get trampled at any minute and to find a place to eat or go to the bathroom was next to impossible.I enjoy
seeing,doing and being a part of such
events BUT that day changed my "crowd
mentality" for good.
Nov 2nd, 2004, 07:56 PM

I have not experienced Carnival in Venice. I could but have not because as the other posters have said, it can be a nightmare. Have lots of friends that live in Veneto, about 40 minutes by train from Venice.

They love Venice but they will not go there during Carnaval. Even the younger ones that did it, did it once. And they had friends in Venice that they stayed with which makes it much easier than being a tourist. Tedgale and Justjean postings confirm what my Italian friends have told me.

Again, I personally have not had the experience of attending but that is because it sounded completely overwhelming. And I love cities, crowds do not bother me etc. But Carnival in Venice sounds to me a bit "over the top" for what it is worth.
Dec 1st, 2004, 11:56 AM

I was in Venice last year for Carnivale, during the final 2 days. The weather was snowy and wet and I imagine that impacted the events that were held outside.

It was really crowded and everything was very busy, as was pointed out earlier. Not being a big fan of Venice to begin with, I liked it even less then.

I think if I was in my 20s it might have been fun but I am in my 40s and appreciate comfort and lack of huge crowds these days a lot more.

Dec 1st, 2004, 12:04 PM

To me it isn't Carnivale without the shoulder to shoulder crowds. I love it.
Dec 2nd, 2004, 01:28 AM

hi there,
at the Cote 'd Azur there is a "flower-carneval", very nice, but even a parade to look at.

One of the most impressing things is the "Morgenstreich" in Basel/Swizzerland. The Alemania (spelling?) carneval starts one week after the "normal" carneval, and the Morgenstreich is a thing for early birds (4 am).

Binche/Belgie has an origine parade.

Also very origine are the parades in the southwest of Germany (Neuhausen, Rottenburg/Neckar, Singen ...) The whole town turns into a parade and the fete goes on after that trough the pubs and streets. Highly recommanded.

In Munich (and a lot of other towns) there are indoor events with dance, music ... going till the morning.

Hellau und Allaf
Gar
Dec 2nd, 2004, 01:49 AM

Maastricht, if you just want to have a really good time. One gets involved by dressing up, and drinking lots of beer.
I have a friend who lives in Cologne, and she says the carnival there is fantastic.