Car vs. Train/Bus in Tuscany

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2005, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thinking of using Montecatini as a home base for a trip to Tuscany this summer. Is public transportation-either train or bus-an efficent way to travel, or is a car the way to go?
Old May 30th, 2005, 03:53 PM

How is your tolerance for waiting around for something to turn up rather than traveling on your own schedule?
Old May 30th, 2005, 04:09 PM
PJK

We just came back from our first week to Tuscany about a month ago. I read lots of threads on this general topic before we went, and most people felt that a car is the best way to see Tuscany. I agree. However, I will admit that there is some stress with the car--where to park, how to find the right road, etc. We kept a car three days and used the train the rest of the time. Bus routes are readily available off the internet. In retrospect, I think that would have been okay for us as well. We made friends at our hotel in Rome. They had traveled the same general route we did, had a minor accident, but ate up a whole day with dealing with reports and getting another car. Nonetheless, I think I would still recommend a car for at least part of your trip. Hiring a driver is another option. NYtraveler asks a good question for you to think about. Your answer to it is probably the best indication of whether you should choose driving or public transportation. Whatever you do, it is fabulous countryside. PJK
Old May 30th, 2005, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply. After reading some other threads, I fear spending half my vacation looking for a parking spot, especially since we will be traveling during peak tourist season. We did rent a car to tour the lake district a few summers ago, and although it was crowded, parking was not terribly difficult. Also magnificent country!
Old May 31st, 2005, 03:03 AM

Car is the way to go imo. Public transportation won't stop for you when you see the picturesque hills/cypres trees in the area. Touristy areas like San Gim. and Siena will be difficult parking (just go early or late).