Transporting the girls in Tuscany

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8th, 2004, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am coordinating a 10-day trip for 12 aunts/cousins/sisters/nieces, ages 14-65, in April and need some suggestions. We have a villa secured in Barberino Val D'Elsa for the week, easy access to the bus to both Siena and Florence. My challenge is getting them from Rome to Barberino. The thought of schlepping them and their luggage onto the train from the airport to the main terminal in Rome then via train to Florence then onto a bus to the villa after an 8 hour flight from JFK seems like a hellish first day in Italy.It would take us 3 rental cars and 2 more intrepid drivers than I've got; for most this is their first trip abroad, (fourth to Italy for my mother and I.) I will be renting one large car for the week, for emergencies/chase vehicle for stragglers, etc.

We will be spending the last 3 days in Rome, and I think the hotel can help us with transport to the airport from there. Rex, Ira, anyone?
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 11:36 AM

Has anyone else misread the title the way I had? I should stop reading the numerous articles about female traffiking
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 11:38 AM

I'm absolutely amazed that the "post police" have not yet descended to chide you about using the term "girls."
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 11:52 AM

that what I thought too.
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 12:32 PM
ira

Hi Laura,

I don't have your courage.

>I will be renting one large car for the week...<

How about renting a smaller car, since you have access to buses, and hiring a large people mover with driver.

3-4 of you go in the car behind the driver.

www.mappy.com says its a 3 hr drive. I Expect your car hire would be about 400E. I estimate train and bus fare would be at least 150E, by slow train (2cl)and bus.

Old Nov 8th, 2004, 02:27 PM

Laura,
This sounds like a wonderful outing. I would opt for a van and driver at any cost! Have never done this myself, but friends used the services of Movartis (www.movartis.it) for a 16 person van and driver from Rome to near Perugia. They have also had them come to drive them around for wine tastings so no need for a DD. I know they have to pay the roundtrip from Rome and have impression it was around $200. (Of course, this was not that long ago when the dollar was taller!). Anyway, you might check out their web site. Also. if you've used an agent they might have some suggestions. Often less expensive to get someone to come to Rome from Tuscany than other way around.
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 02:43 PM

Good grief, I almost had a heart attack when I read this thread's title

Laura, I am not making personal fun of you, honest! But I had read another article about the girls from Nigeria that are "transported" to Italy. If they return with lots of money they are hero's. If they return empty handed they are not wanted 9(a financial burden to the family) and looked down on. A truly sad and miserable situation.

So dear one your title had me thinking "oh somebody is really getting bold".

Coco suggestion sounds really good to me.

Or can you fly into Florence, have your stay in Barberino and than go to Rome and enjoy the visit there and than fly home from Rome. This is called an open jaw flight.

In any case, have a beautiful trip. Am sure you will have an interesting report to write about.
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 03:17 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your suggestions. As a testimonial to the 'post police' I have not been reprimanded but I apologize for unsettling anyone! Over my 2 nephews' objections, we refer to the group generally as "the girls", and I was trying to be as specific as possible in my thread title, per the guidelines here. (Not to make light of a terrible fate of others, but my mom and aunt in particular will get a kick out of being considered possible sex slaves...)

Thank you for the numbers, Ira, exactly the kind of info I need. I suspect the cost vs convenience ratio will soften the bite, and the villa in April is reasonable. I will check out Movartis. Can anyone else can recommend a similar agencies?

Old Nov 10th, 2004, 12:12 PM

laura dear, after one becomes 60 you would be shocked what one consideres "compliments"

Did you read the thread (do not remember the title of the thread) when a poster who said she was in her 60's was going to be searched at the airport and was asked if she wanted a female to do it. Her response "Certainly not! Please continue!" I am still laughing over that.

Have a wonderful beautiful trip.
Old Nov 11th, 2004, 02:07 AM

Laura - Here are a few companies you could contact for a quote:

http://www.airportshuttle.it/

http://www.rossibus.it/index2.html

http://www.grassinibus.com/

Hope this helps ...

Steve