Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is renting a car worth it? Sorrento-Siena-Pisa-Florence

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 12:03 PM
Natasha

I just got a quote from Autoeurope for renting a car for 3 days, picking it up in Sorrento and returning it in Florence. (~$180 Can/~115 US - taxes and insurance included with 0 deductable)
We could use the car to go from Sorrento to Siena, visiting small towns around Siena, visitng Pisa on the way to Florence and return in Florence.

We are staying inside the walls in Siena, so we would have to use a car park. Are there many of these available? How easy is it to get into town? How much do they cost?

Also, I don't know if all of our luggage will fit in this car (Renault Twingo). We are 3 adults with suitcases. They recommended a lager one for $320 Can ($200 US).

I don't know if having a car is worth it. How much easier will it make our trip vs the extra headaches? How much extra will it cost?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 12:10 PM
JBX

Having a car is the best way to see the countryside of Tuscany. Yes, you could manage Siena-Pisa-Florence via train or bus, however I heartily recommend you rent the car for those 3 days to fully experience the wonderfully charming & smaller towns in region. And for 3 adults you DEFINITELY need to opt for the larger car.

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 12:41 PM
twalker

I would definitely rent a car - you want to be able to explore the area, the small towns and wineries - heck just looking at the fields go by is pretty.

Parking can be a bit of a pain - your hotel may have parking.

I would go bigger - that many people and that much luggage.

Old Apr 27th, 2002, 06:15 PM
george

rent the bigger car it is worth it much more comfortable to drive aroud in. have been to siena many times there are car parks right outside the city walls to leave your car. your hotel can probably tell you which is the closet

Old Apr 27th, 2002, 10:01 PM
Bill Fleites

Hi Natasha,
I am also doing a similar route except that I will start from Rome. I had previously visited the Florence-Rome area using only trains, and I agree that to see the other smaller towns in Tuscany a car is a must.
I also drove the Renault Twingo for a week in the Loire Valley in France and it is a very good car, but extremely small and there's no way 3 adults with luggage will fit into it.

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 02:08 AM
Andre

Natasha,

You've been getting very good advice here - I'm just going to give you specifics on car size: the smallest car you would be just OK in is a compact(Renault Megane,Fiat Stilo, Alfa 147, Ford Focus, Opel Astra, VW Golf etc.), better in a midsize (Alfa 156, Opel Vectra, Lancia Prisma, VW Bora etc.). Budget permitting I would recommend a full size though (Renault Laguna, VW Passat, Ford Mondeo, Opel Omega etc.).

Andre