Search

Car vs. train

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car vs. train

We will be staying for one week in Residenza Valle Fiorita which is located in a small town in Abruzzo National Park. We want to go to a lot of places (since it is our first time)- Rome, Naples, and Florance. Would it be easier to go by train or car around Italy.
This is the exact address: Via Annunziata
Rocchetta a Volturno, Isernia (IS) 86070
Italy
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 04:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Other than your week in the countryside, the other destinations on your list are big cities where a car is more of a hassle than a help. I'd rent a car for the week in the country and then travel between cities by train.

Others may say to keep the car for spontaneity. But how many days of your itinerary is the Rome/Naples/Florence portion? If 10 days or less, you won't have much time for spontaneity.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 05:07 PM

It's 2 hours from Isernia to Rome by train, and not frequent. You also have to get to the Isernia station.

About the same to Naples, also infrequent.

Florence is even further.

I would enjoy that area and forget the cities. These are not feasible or desirable daytrips.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 05:10 PM

I think you need to contact the resort to find out about their access to train. I glanced quickly and can;t find any train access to the nearest town - but they can give you details of distance to train station, schedule and how to get there.

Based on the fact that it's in a national park I would think that a car is a must while you're there to see anything outside the resort. I would pick up the car at the airport when you land, use during the time in the resort and drop when you reach you first major city.

You don;t say the order of your trip - but the park seems to be south of Rome - so you might want to use the car to see Naples, drive to Rome and drop it there. Then go on to Florence.

If you're both flying in and out of rome I would pick up the car there and use for the whole trip (resort, day in naples, drive to Florence and drop the car there. You could then take the train back to rome.

But - you really need to get more info from the resort and locate all these places accurately on the map.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 05:26 PM

Based on the maps I have and trenitalia.com -

I think that town is about 20km west of Isernia. The closest train station are Isernia and Rocca Ravindola. But the direct trains to Rome and Naples don't stop at Rocca Ravindola.
Old May 26th, 2008, 09:12 AM

Dear KimH79
We will be staying at Residenza Valle Fiorita in June 2008 and would appreciate if you could share your experience, thoughts, any pictures
pittman285
Old May 26th, 2008, 10:09 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
pittman~ Your new question is pretty well buried here... in a 1+ year old original post with a very vague title, unless KimH just happens to check in again.

I see you're a newly registered poster, so suggest you might also put the question into a new post of your own with a better title, to catch people's attention.