Need help with Eurorail Pass

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2008, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Forgot to purchase Eurorail Pass last week. Flying to Italy on Wednesday 5/28 in evening. With 5/26 Memorial Day is there still time to buy and ship overnite for Wednesday arrival? Is it better to purchase online, by phone or with a travel agent? Help. Thank you!
Old May 25th, 2008, 08:01 AM

Call RailEurope and see which agents in your area offer instant processing - STA Travel on or near college campuses usually do

AAA often does

and other agents who sell enough passes to make it viable to issue them themselves.

RailEurope.com for RailEurope phone - RE could express mail it to you overnight but at big cost.

In Europe you can buy Eurailpasses at Eurail Aid offices in a few dozen main rail stations - but at about 20% higher than prices in U.S. whenever i've checked these places.

Eurailpasses are paper products that cannot be e-mailed.

Do you need a pass - if travel within Italy highly unlikely - have you determined the pass is the best way?
Old May 25th, 2008, 09:55 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
My question is the same. Are you really sure you need a rail pass? It take quite a bit of mileage to make them pay off.
Old May 25th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies...very helpful. Traveling by train from italy to 4 countries (5 bordering countries) in 30-day period. do you recommend eurorail pass, or just buy point to point? Thoughts?
Thanks for your guidance.
Old May 25th, 2008, 01:01 PM

Make a search at railsaver.com
They can show what is cheaper: eurailpass ou points to points tickets.
Old May 26th, 2008, 04:51 AM

To say that it takes quite a bit of mileage to make a railpass pay off IMO is very unaccurate - i can show you plenty of passes, like Swiss Passes and German passes and even Eurailpasses, that pay off in just a few trips due to extremely high fares now at stations in Europe due to the decline of the dollar.

and for your wide-ranging plans i am positive that the Eurail Select pass is a bargain for you - esp since you are leaving tomorrow and can't spend the hours necessary tracking down online discounts and even those require non-refundable trains, etc.

The pass is a boon for anyone going to five countries in a month period - the Eurail Select Flexipass yes - get it or if not you could spend hundreds of dollars more for walk up fares in countries other than Italy, where train travel is much cheaper than in most of Europe.
Old May 26th, 2008, 09:32 AM

And don't forget if comparing ordinary fares that this Eurail Select pass, if over 25 yrs old, only comes in 1st class - a definite bonus if you ask me for lots of reasons - finding empty seats and much more room for luggage being two of them

the 5-day Eurail Select Saver pass costs about $400 p.p. - flexipass out of 2-month period

that's $80/ day p.p or about 50 euros a day - how far can you go in first class in Europe these days for 50 euros - not far

the pass to me is a no-brainer for what you seem to say you're doing
Old May 26th, 2008, 10:10 AM

Go to BudgetEuropeTravel.com, and call their 800 number. They are very helpful and can give you good advice on the best way to purchase tickets or passes.