Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Tuscany trip - rent car in Rome or Florence?

Nov 19th, 2006, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

I have just made reservations for 4 days at Palazzo del Capitano in June. We will most likely arrive in Rome although I haven't booked any tickets yet. Still hoping to use FF miles for one of the tickets or else finding that secret low fare that I know is out there hiding! Anyway, should we rent a car at Rome airport to drive to San Quirico or train to Florence and rent the car there. I think Rome, since we will return there to take the train to Naples at the end of our 4 days in Tuscany. Can you tell me how far it is from Rome to San Quirico (near Montepulciano) by car? Also, can anyone recommend the best way/company for car rental for those 4 days? Thanks sooo much!
Nov 19th, 2006, 09:44 AM

I would rent the car in Rome, near the train station so it will be easy to return it. The cost is better for a week of renting the car.
Nov 19th, 2006, 09:58 AM

It's about 215 miles and about a 4 hour trip.
We've always had good luck with AutoEurope renting cars. Nice cars and good rates. When we rent a car to drive in Tuscany, we always look for a place to drop it off so we can jump on a train for Rome. That way we go right into Termini and catch the train for Naples.
[email protected]
Nov 19th, 2006, 10:52 AM
ira

Hi rb,

Most folks prefer not to navigate larger cities.

You might want to train from Rome to Chiusi (1:25 hr) to pick up the car. It's about a 40 min drive from Chiusi

You could drop it there as well.

Autoeurope has an outlet there.

For travel directions see www.viamichelin.com and www.mappy.com

Nov 19th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

Ira, your response makes sense. We'll try it, I think.
Thx!
Nov 20th, 2006, 05:51 PM

If you don't think jet lag would be much of a problem, I'd skip the middle step of what's involved with catching a train and get the car at the airport. From looking at the map (since we dropped off our car in Rome), it looks like you would miss the inner city traffic. I guess you could drive through if you wished, but I'd take the outer loop road to A24 and on to A1 then north. They're no worse than any interstate through/around any major city in the US (at least during mid-day). Or better still, get past Rome and then get on the secondary roads; there's something new around each bend, it seems.
Nov 20th, 2006, 06:44 PM

I second Ira's suggestion - we've gone that route 3 times before and was always relaxing not having to navigate busy roads with traffic.
Nov 20th, 2006, 08:06 PM
Original Poster

If we take the advice to train to Chiusi and then pick up a rental car, can you get the car at the train station in Chiusi or do you have to leave the station to go to the car rental place? Help! Thx.
Nov 21st, 2006, 01:36 AM

We rented a car for the first time ever in Europe about a month ago. I was very nervous about it, especially since we rented at the Rome airport for our drive to southern Tuscany, Montalcino. It could not have been easier. With all our directionally-challenged and map-reading-challenged people in the car, we managed very very well. We rented from Avis, and returned the car to the airport in Firenze, also fairly easy to find and get to, and then took a cab into the city center (not expensive since the center is close by).
Nov 21st, 2006, 05:33 AM
ira

Hi rbn,

www.viamichelin.com shows the AE location about 226.34 meters from the train station.

This is just an estimate, however.

Nov 21st, 2006, 06:33 AM

We rented the car at the Rome airport when we went to Umbria in March and it was so easy. There was no traffic to navigate because the road from the airport leads directly to the autostrada and bypasses Rome altogether. There is an added charge for picking up at the airport, but for us it was nice to just get into the car without having to drag our luggage onto the trains and all of that.

Tracy
Nov 21st, 2006, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all. Good suggestions!
Nov 21st, 2006, 03:02 PM

We rented from Autoeurope this past May - picking up and returning the car in Chiusi. The rental car location was across the street from the train station - couldn't have been any easier. We literally walked across the street with our luggage. It was a relaxing way to begin our Tuscan adventure!