Search

Car/Train

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2008, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car/Train

Ok you wonderful responders, I need some more of your advice. This question is very similar to one of my earlier posts...but I never rec'd an answer as to whether it would be better to take a train or a car to our apartment in Crystal Palace (but I did learn a cab is out of the question!). I got a quote from justairports.com, and it was 86 pounds for the trip to/from the airport. I looked online, and it looks like it takes 1.5-2 hours to get to Crystal Palace from Heathrow by going through Victoria. (If there is a better way, please let me know!) Not being at all familar w/the area, how long will it take us to get to our apt if we hire a car on a Sunday morning and on Friday morning?
Again, thanks for all of the help!!!
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 06:37 AM
ira

t
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 06:53 AM

For many years i drove vans between Heathrow and Crystal Palace and in optimal conditions such as i would expect on a Sunday it should take about 1.5 hours - perhaps a bit faster. But i do think you still have to take the South Circular road - a oft congestion normal city route through tons of built up areas

It was often a frustrating stuck in traffic drive but Sunday is in your favor - i'd say about 30 miles perhaps as the crow flies.

Look for the huge BBC TV tower, seen from all over London as a beacon to your destination - it hovers right over Crystal Palace Park, one of my favorite London parks. A nifty area to stay in - the real London.
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 08:39 AM

If you're traveling light enough to easily schlepp your own luggage, then the cheapest route probably would be to take the Tube from Heathrow to Victoria (change to the District line at Hammersmith by taking a few steps to the other side of the platform). Fare: £4. Take a Southern train from Victoria to Crystal Palace. Fare: £2.90.
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 01:40 PM

Crystal Palace station is not necessarily the closest station to where in the Crystal Palace area however - and it's a steep uphill walk up to the High Street

rare i think to encounter cabs waiting at this station but not sure
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 06:19 AM

You might want to check the exact address at www.streetmap.co.uk to see what station is nearest.
Old Mar 24th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Original Poster

Hello again...I went to the nationalrail.co.uk and got his route from Heathrow to Crystal Palace

Leg 1 of 2 Underground
Get London Underground Map Sun 13 Apr
Heathrow Underground (ZHJ) to London Victoria (VIC)
Journey Summary Details - Option 1 Departs Arrives Duration
09:25 10:38 1:13
From Heathrow Underground take the Piccadilly Line to South Kensington Underground Station. Change and take the Circle Line or the District Line to London Victoria.
Colours surrounding the Tube line names represent the colour of each Tube line, as shown on the London Underground Tube Map.

Leg 2 of 2Sun 13 Apr
London Victoria (VIC) to Crystal Palace (CYP)

Journey Summary Details - Option 2 Departs Arrives Duration
10:38 11:03 0:25

Journey Details Calling Points:
Travel By: Train (Retail Service ID: SN142800)
Train Company: Southern service from London Victoria to Sutton (Surrey)
Journey Details Seating Class: Standard Class
Cycle Policy: Train has a cycle policy

Total Journey Duration: 1:38 hr

Is the most efficient way to get there via public transportation?
Old Mar 24th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

TimS....is the route you listed (but yours is just easier to read?)
Sorry if I sound like a complete dunce...I have never been on public transport before....the town closest to me has 92 people....yes 92...none 9200...just 92
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 05:04 AM

The route you were given is basically the same as the one I gave. The only difference is that I suggested changing to the District line at Hammersmith rather than at South Kensington. It's an easier transfer because all you have to do is walk a few feet to the other side of the platform.

For a Tube map go here: http://tinyurl.com/yv9frx.
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 06:16 AM

I come back to the point that you need to be sure which is the most convenient station for the exact address you're trying to get to: "Crystal Palace" as a name for a district might cover quite a large area.

In this part of London, there are a number of criss-crossing lines using different London terminals.
The ones using Victoria are better for getting to and from Heathrow, the ones using London Bridge would be very convenient for Gatwick.
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 06:24 AM

and from stations there are London buses that could take you right to your hotel