Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Royal Park, London. Has anyone stayed here?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2010, 04:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there,

I was on the "tube" thread which got me to thinking that it would be wise of me to ask if anyone has stayed here (apparently <i>not</i> according to the Fodor's search engine). http://www.theroyalpark.com/index.hotels Anyway, the comment on the other thread "bring your gun" got a laugh out of me. It also made me think that I should ask if this area is OK.

I chose this area because my friend who works for USAir has stayed nearby and he thought it was convenient to pretty much everything. I also like the idea that there is a "Planet Organic" market not too far away. The hotel representative said that they would remove the stuff from the mini fridge so that I could store yogurt, fruit, milk, half a sandwich, etc There are quite a few restaurants that are both organic and vegetarian nearby. I was really impressed. Mainly, we can use our AMEX miles to pay for the room, and on Trip Advisor people did not complain about the walls being too thin.

In any case, After seeing so many people weigh in on location for London hotels, I wanted to ask you about this one. I haven't reserved our room yet. Thank you!
Old Apr 6th, 2010, 08:53 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
The Royal Park is only convenient from LHR if you take the very expensive Express train or a less expensive regular commuter train.

It is not at all convenient for taking the tube in from LHR - which is the cheapest and often the best way to travel into the city. It is quite near Paddington train/tube station, and not far from Lancaster Gate tube station.

Paddington really isn't all that convenient for most sightseeing. The only site w/i walking distance is Hyde Park/Kensington Gardens.

Lancaster Gate is on the Central Line which serves Oxford street (shopping) and Holborn (British Museum). Paddington is on a couple of useful lines which will get you most anywhere fine -- it is just some tube journeys will be a bit longer than if you were staying more centrally.

You'll be in central-ish London -- just not <i><u>central</i></u> London.
Old Apr 6th, 2010, 11:44 PM

I think Janis has the area down right. I have stayed at one of the sister hotels , the Cranley, and the rooms and service are superior there, so I would imagine the Roayl Park would be as well
Old Apr 6th, 2010, 11:57 PM

You are a 10 minute underground trip from several walkable sites, which in a city the size of London is pretty good. I find it funny to hear people baulking at a journey that was the quick tube ride at the end of my commute to work some years ago; (ie AFTER a 25 minute, 45 train journey to Paddington.)
Old Apr 7th, 2010, 05:55 AM

Leave your gun at home, but bring your best glasses.

It's perfectly safe but does have an awful lot of transevestite prostitutes around ( I should start a tour company shouldn't I?).

In all seriousness; you won't notice the tarts unless you go up past the Paddington Green police station (why there are loads of trannie tarts around a nick I have no idea). In fact acvoid Paddington Green at night (there's no real reason for you to go there anyway).

There's loads of places to eat and drink around (the best of which tend to be lebanese or other Middle Eastern) plus all the usual stuff.
Old Apr 7th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Very good. Thank you for all of the feedback on this area and the sister hotel. One thing that I did not mention is that we will be starting our vacation in Bath and finishing our holiday with 5 nights in London. So thankfully at least we will not have to deal with making our way to Paddington upon arrival.

Thank goodness I can leave my gun at home! However, I will bring my "pocket rocket". (A name my "height challenged" husband has dubbed himself.)