car rentals in Eurpoe

Search

car rentals in Eurpoe

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
car rentals in Eurpoe

Do I need to rent a car in Geneva, Switzerland or Ireland? Is it recommended. They are so expensive in Europe. We visited Brugge and Brussels and didn't need one, I'm not sure about Switzerland and Ireland.

Thanks for your help.
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 07:25 AM

You haven't provided enough information for anyone to give you meaningful advice. In the abstract, your question can always be answered with "No, you don't need to rent a car." But if you want to get out into the countryside of either place and explore all the many areas accessible only by car, then you'll need to rent one. On the other hand, if you only want to visit the major cities, public transportation is quite adequate. Good luck.
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 07:25 AM

Hi msuguy78,

I don't think you need a car for Switzerland -- of the many times I've been, I rented only twice and regretted it both times. However, if you can let us know your interests and your probable itinerary/activities, we may be able to give you a better idea --

s
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 07:55 AM

Switzerlan remains about the only country we've never rented a car in. We have loved the trains and never wanted a car there.
But Wayne is right. It really depends on what you plan to do, although there aren't many places in Switzerland where you can't get easily or often by train.

Ireland is another matter. If you want to explore the west coast as most people do, you almost have to have a car or else spend lots of time trying to make bus connections. Most trains will only head back to Dublin then back out again -- not a practical choice for exploring. We were certainly glad we had a car and wouldn't have done it any other way!
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 08:58 AM

Agreed that Ireland can only be done by car - or on a tour bus. there are so many small places to visit - and their train service is nothing to write home about.

For Geneva itself - and possibly a day trip or two you don;t need a car. If you want to do lots of exploring in Switzerland I do reco a car - it lets you get everywhere on the spur of the moment - which to me is one of the joys of travel.