Car Rental in Switzerland

Jun 17th, 2006, 03:43 AM
Original Poster

Car Rental in Switzerland

Hi-first time car renter in Europe here! Need to pick up and drop off a car in Interlaken, if possible. What can I expect to pay for a week's rental in mid-July? Any particular companies you'd recommend? Thanks in advance.
Jun 17th, 2006, 04:38 AM

Hi Jenski,

For both of the two times I rented a car in Switzerland, I used Autoeurope, and for one of those, I picked up my car in Interlaken. Unfortunately, they "upgraded" me to a small station wagon that was a bear to drive on small mountain roads. They had no other car available, so I was stuck with the "upgrade."

I wonder why you're even considering a car. As I said, I've rented a car on two trips to Switzerland, but I've used the trains for about 12 other trips. I regretted renting a car on those two instances, too.

Many of the best destinations in the Berner Oberland are not accessible by car.

Good luck!

s
Jun 17th, 2006, 06:24 AM

I have rented from 3 different companies in Interlaken: Hertz, Avis, EuropCar.
The EuropCar office is now in Thun, which is not all that convenient.

I usually go through AutoEurope to negotiate the rental because I have found that I can get a better price that way.

Last year my rental was from Hertz; in earlier years it was from Avis.
I have checked generically in Interlaken with a Google search, but so far I have not turned up cheaper prices than what I can obtain from AutoEurope.

I think that swandav2000 has a very valid point in his evaluation. For the Berner Oberland, just why do you want a car?

We usually stay in Lauterbrunnen, and will again this year. The value of a car for traveling to Mürren, Wengen, Kleine Scheidegg, the Jungfraujoch, First, Grosse Scheidegg, and other places is absolutely nil because you cannot get there by car in the first place.

For other places, the trains and buses are well organized and reach so many places that a car is not a requirement.

If I drive from Lauterbrunnen to Grindelwald, there is always an expense in parking the car somewhere.

Last year, I rented a car because I had planned to use it to explore outwards from Lauterbrunnen. For example, one day we drove all the way to Schaffhausen to see the Rhine Falls. Another day, because it was so hot, we drove over the Susten Pass and the following day we visited the top of the Grimsel Pass.

We also used the car to drive to the Kiental. We parked the car and rode the bus to Griesalp, which is reached by driving up a narrow 28% grade road. I was just as content to let the pros of the Post Bus system do the chore.

The only advantage I can see in having a car is the schedule mobility it gives me. Everywhere I went is reachable by public transportation. The major advantage of a car was timiliness. I could go when I wanted to rather having to tie myself to public transportation.

Admittedly this is an expensive luxury for my income level.

This year we will be in the Berner Oberland in two shifts because I was forced to wait until just now to make my plans. (Medical decision.) Right now I have no intentions of renting a car for the first part of the visit.

Then we will wander around the Rhone Valley for a few days before returning to Lauterbrunnen. For that I will rent a car, probably for a week.

What I have found is that if you plan to rent for 4 days, you might as well rent it for a week because a 6 or a 7 day rental is virtually the same price as a 4 day rental. The reason for the cost equality is short term rates versus weekly rates.

I think in summary it is safe to say that personal convenience is my motivating force in renting a car while in the Berner Oberland because one is certainly not a necessity.
Jun 21st, 2006, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Hi-we are renting a car because we want to go all over Switzerland, not just stay in the Bernese Oberland. We are hiking there for one week, and then exploring other parts of Switz. for the other week, and as we will have a big backpack with us, thought using a car would be much easier than lugging it all over towns we visit! Thanks for all of the info.
Jun 21st, 2006, 08:44 AM

Check out autoeurope.com. We rented from them last trip to Switzerland. They have very reasonable prices. You can pick up in Interlaken and drop off in Zurich.
Jun 21st, 2006, 08:48 AM

Also, check out gemut.com. They are an agent for autoeurope and a little less expensive. They are based out of Washington State. I actually rented from them, but my contract said autoeurope.
Jun 21st, 2006, 08:51 AM
orbiting

hi
check out this link so that you can compare prices. these guys seem pretty good.
http://destinia.com/car/en

Search this Thread