Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Which is the best way to tour Switzerland?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which is the best way to tour Switzerland? There will be two of us traveling? Rent a car?
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 02:42 PM

I always drive in Europe--except in Switz. The rail system is so good and the routes are often more direct.
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 02:47 PM

The best way to see Switzerland, I think, is by train, boat, cable car, Postbus, and on foot. No need to rent a car---the Swiss transportation network is wonderful and goes everywhere. There are various types of passes which are good on all the various transport modes. On any given day, you might use several different modes. On our next trip, for example, there are several days where we will take a train, then a lake steamer to another train, finally reaching our destination by cable car. The schedules are all set up to facilitate the transfers, and it's very easy (and fun).

Many of the nicest villages are car-free, so you have to leave a car behind anyway.
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 10:29 PM

Hi Suzi72,

I agree with the above posts -- I've been to Switzerland about 14 times since 1995. I rented a car twice, and regretted it both times! Besides the fact that the nicest places don't allow cars, you have to consider the price of gas, the hassle of getting lost, the hassle of navigating narrow, winding roads, etc.

I also really like mingling with the locals on the trains & busses. And I also really like walking around a town or city --

s
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 10:39 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I agree with the previous posters. I've been to Switzerland many times and have never rented a car. The rail system is incredible and easy to navigate.
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 07:42 AM

I have been to Switzerland many times, and I usually rent a car. A 5 day rate and a 7 day rate are about the same price.

That said, some of my plans depend on what I want to see and where I want to go.

Last summer we were there for 9 days.
I rented a car for 5 of the 9 days.

I arrived by train and left by train.
While there, we used mountain trains and cable lifts as well. For the first 3 days, there was no need at all for a car.

I agree that the train system is very efficient and the bus system supplements it nicely. So why a car at all?

Well, we wanted to visit some of the remote valleys like the Turtmental. Then from the end of that valley we drove to Saas Grund, then to a hotel on the Grimsel Pass. From there to Engleberg, and so on.

I think one could go to a spot like Lauterbrunnen by train, stay in an apartment for a week, and never need a car for anything. Or, one could go to Zermatt for a week where a car is not even allowed!!

So the decision is based on where you are going and what you are planning to do.

For me, it is purely a question of convenience, itinerary, ambition, and preference. A great visit can be had without a car.