Car Rental with Am Express Platinum

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10th, 2004, 04:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone used this credit card to pay for a rental car in France?

I am very confused as to the CDW and Theft insurance add ons...if I charge to Am Express Platinumand and waive the CDW and Theft, what will they pay if I have an accident or the car gets stolen. Will they pick up the large deductible on each of these losses. Or should we bite the bullet and take out the Super CDW and Theft, which pays first dollar. It is really expensive to do this.
My Am Exp Platinum travel agent could not answer my questions adequately so I would love some advice!!!
Thanks
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 04:29 AM

While I am still waiting for a final check from Visa for their full coverage on an accident in Wales in May, where we did waive the CDW so there should be no deductible, let me give you one piece of advice and this is THE ONLY ADVICE YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO:

Look at the back of your credit card, call the number, and ask to speak to someone about the coverage on the insurance. Ask that person your questions, authenticate it with their name (and or number) and date. Then act accordingly.

To ask others anywhere, including those of us here, even if we have been through it is nonsense. The only people who can tell you for sure are the people at Am Ex Platinum. YES, IT IS THAT SIMPLE!
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

Patrick,
Of course you are correct. I will call Am. Express and keep asking until I get my answers I need. Unfortunately, it sometimes takes a long time to find someone who knows the answers.
Thank you.
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 05:59 AM
ira

Hi gl,

>Unfortunately, it sometimes takes a long time to find someone who knows the answers.<

You are a Platinum Card holder. You should not put up with anything less than immediate service from AMEX.
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 06:08 AM

I agree that a call to Amex with very specific questions is the right course but, while this may sound paranoid, it has been my experience that Amex is terrific only if you can do all your business through a computer or some other mechanical means. When you have to deal with a person (even those serving Platinum members) they will almost invariably fail you.

I have many horror stories about how Amex has gummed up travel plans or mechandise puchases. The primary reson I keep the card is the benefit of Membership Miles which is an excellent program...as long as you can avoid talking to anybody.

Good luck.
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 06:12 AM
ira

Hmmm,

I am a mere Gold Card member and have not had these problems.
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 06:30 AM

Well, all I've got is a pitiful green card - no gold, platinum - and certainly not black - and AmEx has always given me exemplary service - from resolving issues with merchants to travel planning support to FedExing me a replacement card overnight (their idea - not my request) when someone started using my AmEx number 2 days before I left for London. (They even sent a letter with the new card releasing me from all charges to my old card - including some legitimate ones - which I did correct and pay.)

Can;t imagne why you are having so much trouble.
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 06:48 AM

I would go one step further and ask the customer service rep to send you a copy of what is covered and what your obligations are.

DO NOT rely on the verbal statements of the person on the phone.

Old Nov 10th, 2004, 08:16 AM

American Express, like Visa and MasterCard, have established limits that they impose, including road related damage (broken headlamps, lost wheel covers, blowouts or other tire damage, broken mirrors, window glass, etc. They also have a deductible that can be in excess of $1000, depending upon the vehicle you rent. Also remember that you, as the renter, are fully responsible and will be billed for what ever damage may be incurred and may have to wait quite some time to be reimbursed, as already noted by Patrick. And as suggested by Patrick, call your credit card company and obtain a copy of their coverage, but it is advisable to consider the full, zero deductible insurance offered by the rental agency. Depending on the vehicle, it can run as little as 10 euros a day and is well worth it.

One other thing to consider when renting a car is personally liability. You can also check to see if the credit card insurance covers you in case you, a passenger, or some third party is injured in an accident. I think you'll find that there is little or no coverage offered.
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 08:24 AM

When I had a claim, my CC company worked directly with the car rental firm and paid for eveything including loss of use.

The best advice, is still to get a written copy of what is covered from your CC company.
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Well I spoke to a rep from Am Exp Platinum car rental coverage division...she said she would send me a fax with all the details of the coverage. That was this morning...never received the fax. I guess I will have to call again. This is what I meant when I said it was difficult to get answers.
The first dollar coverage with no deductiable is very high on my Hertz rental...any ideas for a different company with cheaper CDW. The rate from Hertz for the rental car alone was good, but the extras will add alot more than 10 euros per day.
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 12:38 PM

After extensive research, we rented a car from AutoEurope UK for 3 days while we were in France. We live in the US and had no problem with the UK site. Picked the car up at Lyon airport and dropped it off at Paris airport, CDG. It was a Peugeot and was very roomy and comfortable for 2 persons with luggage. For 3 days of rental I think we paid a total of 65 Euro. We paid an additional 15 Euro for all the waivers we could get. I am attached a link that a previous poster had included which compares the US site to the UK site.
http://slowtalk.com/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&...;m=26010105511

Old Nov 10th, 2004, 12:42 PM
ira

Hi gl,

Have you checked with

www.autoeurope.com

http://www.novarentacar.com/

as well?
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 01:40 PM

Perhaps this will help. It is from the American Express Platinum Card website. Note the number to call if you have any questions.

Underwritten by AMEX Assurance Company, Administrative Office, Green Bay, WI. You must decline the Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) or similar option offered by the Commercial Car Rental Company. This coverage is EXCESS to your other sources of insurance. Coverage applies for the first 30 days of an auto rental if rented from a commercial car rental company. No coverage is provided for vehicles rented in Australia, Ireland, Italy, Israel, Jamaica, and New Zealand. Coverage is only available to permanent residents of the United States, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Certain vehicles are not covered and other significant exclusions apply. Coverage is subject to the Terms, Conditions, and Exclusions of Policy AX0925. Call 1-800-338-1670 for more information and eligibility requirements.
Old Nov 11th, 2004, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

OK Am Express has redeemed themselves!

I received a 10 page fax with the detailed terms of the coverage using my Am Express card. It sounds like it would make sense to waive the CDW and do this. However, they state that if we do damage to another vehicle, it will not pay to repair it, only our vehicle. Then what?

I will call Hertz this morning and ask them this questiion.

Stay tuned

TH
Old Nov 11th, 2004, 07:07 AM
ira

Hi gls,

AMEX is insuring you for what you might owe the car rental company, only.

Check with your auto insurance company to see if you are covered for damage to other cars or people.
Old Nov 11th, 2004, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

I spoke to Hertz and the only way I can get total protection without a 1000 Euro deductible and with coverage for any other I might damage in a collission in addition to my rental car is to get the CDW and Super CDW...which adds about 34 Euros per day to my 3 day rental rate for a full sized car. I think we are going to bite the bullet and opt for full coverage to avoid the hassles which would occur if we had an accident.