Car rental Shannon Airport, Ireland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2015, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be visiting Ireland in November for the first time. I've done a car rental in London before and the amount charged was so much more then what I'm finding. I was concerned it had to be too good to be true! I'm flying into the Shannon Airport and I'm looking for a car rental. I've been looking and the cost is so minimal that I'm thinking there has to be some surprise charges. Does anyone know if the charges that is shown as the total charge is really the final cost? Also is there any suggestion on which company to choose. Please Help!
Old Aug 14th, 2015, 11:16 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I haven't found that car hires are cheaper in Ireland. Who knows -- since you have not told us the company or what sorts of rates you are getting. And there is no way to explain the difference in cost w/ your earlier hires without again knowing the details. Were they the same class of car? Did you pre-book. was cdw included in the rate or did you use your credit card for coverage?

One of the reasons Irish rentals tend to be more expensive is the insurance issue. Almost no credit cards will cover you in the Republic while they do in the UK. So you likely will need to purchase at insurance/CDW from the rental agency.
Old Aug 15th, 2015, 12:45 AM

If you are looking at the typical Agency/Consolidator sites they are only obliged to give the day rate and not to disclose optional extras like basic insurance which will add to the cost. Then if looking on US sites you will find the assumption that you will be using credit card insurance for your rental.. not often accepted and comes with T&C's have a look at http://www.tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-....html#50933820 for my take on the garbage some folk give the Irish rental trade.

As to who to rent with, Dooley get praise as do Easytoursireland who link directly to Hertz. I used to use Budget but not used them since they were absorbed by Avis who I don't use. Fact is all rental companies are the same and as long as you know what you are buying when you get the quotes you will find that the one thats 1/4 the price of all the rest, definitely has something missing.
Old Aug 15th, 2015, 04:07 AM

For a one week rental from/to Shannon (airport location) a dummy inquiry on my usual meta search website gives quotes at 80-100 euro per week for a small to compact stick-shift car (Ford Ka - Fiesta) with all kms, insurances w/ zero deductible, and full/full petrol policy included.
This range is offered by a variety of both resellers like AutoEscape as well as the actual rental car companies like Avis.
So if you find quotes in the same range, it should be legit.
After all, November is super low season in the West and I assume they get only a fraction of the business as in summer.
Nevertheless, you should always carefully study the fine print about insurances etc.
Old Aug 15th, 2015, 12:15 PM

Just got a quote from Dooley for 24 days in Sept/Oct. All inclusive with CDW declined because my CC covers it, $274 US. Pickup/Drop off Dublin airport.
Old Aug 15th, 2015, 02:50 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>All inclusive with CDW declined because my CC covers it,<<

Are you very sure? Certain World Master Cards used to, but now even most of those cards don't cover cars in Ireland. (nor in Italy or Israel)
Old Aug 18th, 2015, 03:41 PM

My Citi Dividend World Elite MasterCard now covers Ireland. Have that in writing.
Old Aug 18th, 2015, 04:09 PM

We were extremely happy with Dooley. When I saw a lower price (after already booking), they gave me a fuel voucher for the difference! They didn't have to do that, but shows the kind of company you are dealing with. No BS when returning the car, either!