Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is this a good price for a car rental in Ireland?

Jun 17th, 2002, 09:22 AM
Natasha

Does anyone know if this sounds like a good deal? It seems quite reasonable to me. For an economy car (Ford Fiesta or similar) standard, including insurance, taxes and drop off fees, for 5 days picked up in Galway, dropped off in Cork, through Budget Rent a Car, $286 Canadian.

Jun 17th, 2002, 09:28 AM
Claudia

It doesn't sound too expensive but make sure you get the optional insurance. Credit card policies do not insure for rentals in Ireland.

Jun 17th, 2002, 09:34 AM
MaryG

Sounds like an excellent price! We paid 434.00 Cdn. for a Ford Focus, (standard) for a week in March. That included the mandatory insurance and taxes.

Jun 17th, 2002, 10:10 AM
Pamela

Natasha,
Also remember that the insurance that you purchase with the rental also has around a 650 (euros) deductible. From what I've read, it sounds more than likely that something will happen to the car, so I got my deductible down to $0 by paying something like $5-$6 extra per day. To me, that was worth it.

One more tip...
Check out Dan Dooley. If you email them, you get a 10% discount that is not shown on their website.

Jun 17th, 2002, 10:26 AM
Mavis

Natasha - we received a quote fr. Autoeurope for 10 days, pick up and drop off in Dublin for $263.34 (Cdn) for mid-August. But we declined CDW (insurance) because we are covered by my husband's Platinum Mastercard and we rented Ford Fiesta, manual, w/o A/C. The original rate quoted by Autoeurope was twice that amount but by getting quotes fr. other companies (BTW Dan Dooley's was the cheapest) and filling out Autoeurope's BestRate form we were able to get the car for $26.33/day. Note that this does not include road tax nor airport surcharge (they get you any way they can). Airport surcharge is $33.75Cdn and road tax 21EU - both of which you pay when you pick up the car. (You may want to check the small print in your Budget Rental to see if those have been included/excluded in the price.)