Car Rental Question

Sep 23rd, 2007, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

Car Rental Question

Does anyone know if you can rent a car in Rome and turn it in in Florence?
Sep 23rd, 2007, 02:41 PM

Of course you can.

Stu Dudley
Sep 23rd, 2007, 05:55 PM

You can do it - but you need to tell them so when you reserve the car - and get the location(s) at which it can be turned in.
Sep 23rd, 2007, 10:20 PM

No problem. Go to any rental site and you have the option to return at alternate location. There is a small surcharge but they all allow it. I picked up a car in Florence and returned in Rome last year with no difficulty. Have fun driving in Rome - it's a blast
Sep 24th, 2007, 03:32 AM

We never paid a surcharge when returning a car within the same country in Europe--Germany, Italy, France is where we've rented.
Sep 24th, 2007, 04:18 AM
ira

Hi Z,

Check www.autoeurope.com, www.novacarhire.com and www.gemut.com

Sep 27th, 2007, 05:15 PM

Just a word of caution, I pre-arranged a car rental through National for pick up in Rome and drop off in Venice and asked twice about a drop off fee and was told both times that there was none. I reserved and received a confirmation email showing all the charges but no drop off fee. I was of course happy to have this confirmed in writing. Of course I did not see the fine print in the email confirmation about "all international one way rentals will have a drop off fee". Needless to say, I got whacked with a large drop off fee and ended up paying double what I was quoted. I complained and was pointed to the fine print. I asked for my complaint to be fowarded to a manager and was promised a reply within 72 hours. Its been two weeks and still no reply even though I have sent polite reminders. In the last one I included a comment that I would be forced to caution other travellers on Fodors if I did not hear back. No response, so here is the caution.
Sep 27th, 2007, 05:42 PM

I've probably made more than 100 rentals in Italy, France, and a few other European countries and picked up the car in one location and dropped it off in another (in the same country) and have never paid a penny. Yes, you do need to tell them where you want to drop off, but I've also changed my mind about that mid-trip, and as long as I called to notify the rental outfit it was never a problem and never paid a fee.