Car rental - Italy

Old Mar 16th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car rental - Italy

So car rental seems more expensive than the last time we were in Italy (4 or 5 years ago). We're looking at Auto Europe as that has always worked well for us. All sorts of extra fees - drop charge, premium location.... I don't remember those from before. I think that's what's driving the price up.

We were planning to pick up at the Naples airport and drop off in Sorrento, 7 days - $620. Does that seem high or is that the way it is?

Alice
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 08:04 PM

We just rented a car from Economy Rentals. It is much cheaper than AutoEurope and has no deductible. But it is more expensive than a rental in France, for example.
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 08:06 PM

I forgot, Economy Rentals might not be any cheaper if you return the car at a different location. We are returning the car to the same location in Sicily. When I looked into a one way rental for France, Economy Rentals was more expensive than Kemwel (AutoEurope's sister company).
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 09:19 PM

First off--it does seem high but.... What time of year? What kind of car? Airports always carry an additional tourist tax. Naples pick up could be the problem--might be a premium for the level of risk in that area.

We just rented a small vehicle for three weeks out of Florence and delivery to Rome from Autoeurope for $715. That's in late May to mid-June.
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 09:29 PM

We just booked through Kemwel, Auto Europe's sister company, for next month. The car is a larger station wagon, I think a Fiat Croma. We are picking up in Rome (in-city, which is cheaper than the aiport) and dropping off in Milan, 8 days total. In USD it was about $640. There is zero deductible/excess on this rental.

Maybe try picking it up somewhere besides the airport? That knocked quite a bit off of our quote. Also, it seemed like when I actually called Kemwel or AE on the phone, I got quoted a better rate than I could come up with by using their website pricing system.
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 09:40 PM

Try Hertz. I am renting for 30 days midsize car picking up in Zurich and dropping off in Milan. If you pick up a car in Italy they make you pay for insurance so that is one thing that makes it more expensive. Try Sixt or Maggiore but the past 4-5 years I have found Hertz to be the cheapest. Try a rate code of 004.
Old Mar 17th, 2010, 04:08 AM

Ira and I just booked Italy through easyterra.com, which is a company afiliated somehow with AutoEurope. I saved about 30% off AutoEurope price and I have the same AutoEurope voucher for an Avis car in Orvieto. You should take a look at them ,but be sure to compare the CDW and theft deductable with what you get from AutoEurope.

Rick
Old Mar 17th, 2010, 05:29 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
How much is the premium for airport pickup? Normally, AutoEurope is in the $300-$350 range for a weeks rental in Italy. Try booking your pickup in Sorrento. You can take the Curreri shuttle bus from the airport to Sorrento for 10€.
Old Mar 17th, 2010, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

We're going the latter half of May but only need the car for the first week. And it's a compact car! I'll see about booking the pickup in Sorrento and maybe if we lose the 2 extra charges (premium and drop off), it will more in the range I expect. The extra charges were a LOT, my husband has the details.

I'll also check into easterra.com. I thought I had read that some folks had problems with them, is that not the case anymore? We'll also check Hertz and Kemwel.

Thanks everyone! I'll let you know how we fare.
Alice
Old Mar 17th, 2010, 08:06 AM

I do not think anyone here has rented through easyterra before. But many have rented with AutoEurope. Easyterra appears to be the European branch of AutoEurope. Since I have a voucher from AutoEurope, I don't expect it will be any different than renting directly from AutoEurope, but I will let you know in about 2 weeks.

Rick