car rental insurance

Jul 21st, 2004, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

car rental insurance

going to Ireland 9/20 just talked to my chase - mastercard and was told insurance only good for 15 days and then would have to rent again in different city

does anyone know a card that will allow rental and coverage for 20 days???
Jul 21st, 2004, 02:57 PM

American Express
Jul 21st, 2004, 02:58 PM

To me, something doesn't compute about what you have been told. Although I don't have a Chase Master Card and thus haven't read their predictably endless terms and conditions, I haven't heard of a provision that requires you to re-rent a car in order to be covered. Can you try to contact someone at Chase again and get them to explain it fully? Good luck.
Jul 21st, 2004, 03:06 PM

I think most cards have a stipulation about how they only cover you for 15 consecutive days, and then after that, there's slight variations of how you can "continue" your rental (i.e. wait a day and rent again for another 15days, or like lizard said, must rent in a different city). That's how my MC platinum is - 15days max, and then you have to "re-rent".
Try American Express, as 4totravel suggested, but I'm not aware of others. Hopefully others on here have some suggestions.
There are many threads in here about car rental insurance and similar topics. You may be able to find more info.
Jul 21st, 2004, 03:06 PM
rex

I was surprised by your other post about Diners Card covering - - maybe this is something new by virtue of their having established coverage through a company IN Ireland?

It was always my understanding that "credit card coverage" was not valid in Italy, nor in Ireland (and there are other countries on this list).

It has to do with national law (and I'm guessing - - enforceability, or lack thereof of collections from an insurance company not based in that country).

So, the response from Chase Mastercard is equally surprising - - that they said they can provide any coverage at all!

Best wishes,

Rex
Jul 21st, 2004, 03:57 PM

This topic has been posted numerous times. Visa and AMEX don't cover rentals in Ireland. MasterCard does (through Master Rental, but not all rental car companies accept their coverage.
It's always fluid, you need to call MASTERCARD (not the Bank) and confirm your coverage before each trip.
Jul 21st, 2004, 09:20 PM

We lease so are covered through the lease agreement, but have you considered contacting your own auto insurance company? They may very well cover the rental car as part of your policy or for a small additional fee as a rider. It's worth a phone call.

Since you're going for more than 17 days, you might also consider a lease and then you would be covered and it would all probably cost less.

Good luck.
Jul 22nd, 2004, 07:50 AM

SalB, Where does one go to lease?

Search this Thread