Reload this Page >

Car Rentals in Ireland

Search

Car Rentals in Ireland

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 06:17 PM
Bill

Car Rentals in Ireland

Heading to Ireland and already have quotes from Avis and Budget - both about the same. Have check Dan Dooley as well. Need other recommendations for car rental companies in Ireland. Thanks.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 06:30 PM
Mavis

Can try Autoeurope. They will probably be less, but doesn't hurt to have other quotes. Autoeurope will always beat whatever rate you get comparing apples to apples - which means they'll compare equivalent car, insurance coverage, drop-off, theft protection, etc. No matter who you book with remember to read the fine print - that's where the real cost is.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 06:54 PM
Rex

Previously posted reply:<BR><BR>from http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessages.jsp?fid=2&tid=1365957<BR><BR>Author: Rex ([email protected])<BR>Date: 04/22/2002, 09:18 pm<BR>Message: It's very popular here to complain about how the search function doesn't work - - and I have led the complaining pack on this.<BR><BR>But this is one time that the search works quite well, because you can specify the country and search on rental - - and you get 50(plus) great threads.<BR><BR>Here are two of the most useful.<BR><BR>http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessages.jsp?fid=2&tid=1360397<BR><BR>http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessages.jsp?fid=2&tid=1362057<BR><BR>I have personally used Murrays with no reservation on a rainy day for a one-day rental and had a very good experience.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 08:12 PM
topper

topping<BR>

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 04:33 AM
agent

Don't forget that most, if not all, of the major credit cards DO NOT PROVIDE the additional insurance in Ireland. In other words, if you do not buy the insurance from the vendor, you will not be covered. Check with your credit card company to see if the do, but it is highly unlikely. Insurance cost will add several dollars per day to the rental. You would be foolish not to be covered, either by credit card if possible (not likely) or by buying. Your local insurance that you carry at home on your personal cars WILL NOT cover you when out of the USA (assume you are in USA). Be sure to factor in the insurance costs when getting quotes.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 07:34 AM
meatwork

Believe it or not, I gotten great rates with Alamo (affiliate) and National in Ireland. Whether you are picking up at an airport, and returning to the same or different locations as your pickup with GREATLY determine the deals you'll get.<BR><BR>I've visited Ireland several times and have found there's only an advantage to using a local / Irish company is when my pickup was in a town and not at the airport.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 09:30 AM
bill

I also used Murrays (which is related to europcar). <BR>http://www.europcar.ie/#<BR>I got a very good rate from them. Their online rates are better than if you call them. Rates go up pretty quickly if you want an automatic. I would suggest a small car if you are traveling alone or as a couple. The Irish roads are very narrow especially if you get adventurous. <BR><BR>You can use your Gold or higher Mastercard for CDW up to 15 days in Ireland. It is offerd through MC, not through the bank. Longer than 15 days and you'll have to get VERY creative or use the plan issued by the rental company. <BR><BR>Be warned, the deductible is high on then rental companies insurance (E450-900) and MC is $0. You can buy the deductible down, but it is very expensive. Based on my math, the insurance company will start making money if as many as 1 in 3 people make a claim. If you accept the rental company insurance, you can't use your credit card as a back-up for the deductible.<BR><BR>Bill

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 11:26 AM
Ann

I've gotten good rates with National/Alamo. But I've gotten the best rates through priceline.com. Best thing is that all priceline rates include CDW and other insurances.<BR><BR>I've rented over there a million times, and never had any problems, until a 500 pound (this was in N Ireland) charge from National/Alamo showed up on my credit card. Priceline is handling the inquiry for me, but so far, no one seems to know why I was charged this.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 08:26 PM
up

up<BR>

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 07:27 AM
lori

We just got back from 9 days in Ireland and we rented through Kemwel. I believe they broker for Europcar.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 09:54 AM
mikey

Try www.rentacar-ireland.com I've used this consolidator in the past and have gotten great rates. They include all insurances, road side assist but there is a deductible. They use the large companies.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 03:45 PM
Jeff

I'm also looking into car rentals, and found this site useful. Go to:<BR>http://www.dublin-airport.com<BR><BR>Click on Ground Transportation and then Car Hire. The page that comes up lists most major rental companies in Ireland.<BR><BR>My best quote came from Hamill's at <BR>http://www.hamills.com<BR>You need to fill out a quote request and then they will email you.<BR><BR>They quoted me an 8-day rental of a large station wagon (there are 5 of us) in September of $385. That includes VAT, collision insurance, theft insurance, and airport surcharge. Plus there is no fee to pickup in Dublin and drop in Shannon. They are at least $75 less than other quotes I've received.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 08:53 PM
Jill

Another thumbs up for Murrays.<BR>

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 11:48 PM
John

I use Dan Dooley the CDW insurance they call walk away insurance was $220.00 For a week its expensive but worth it . no US. credit cards cover this !tey were a good rental co

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 02:17 PM
Bill

Thanks to everyone for the ideas.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 04:54 PM
Sue

We used Dan Dooley ion May, and my Platinum MasterCard covered the CDW.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 05:09 PM
adams

We rented for Hertz/OScannlain, got a good deal that Autoeurope could not match. My gold Mastercard also covered the CDW.<BR><BR>www.oscannlain.com/